Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 01:51 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
What you're describing sounds something like Dahlonega GA with Atlanta not too far away. I can't think of anything like that close to Charleston. Most of the "small" towns around the SC Coast aren't quaint little towns.
Especially with a lot of us Yankees moving here.........LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 02:40 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Orangeburg, Waterboro, and Georgetown are enema tube sites.
Cool story bro.

Old 08-28-2019, 03:30 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,691,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
What you're describing sounds something like Dahlonega GA with Atlanta not too far away.
The ocean near Dahlonega??

Old 08-29-2019, 02:36 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,599,478 times
I don't have much to add to this thread except to say that McClellanville (as BSJSAS pointed out) is likely the closest thing to what you're looking for that is also close to Charleston. Even then, McClellanville is probably near an hour drive to the nearest beach (Isle Of Palms) maybe more if there's traffic. Most of the non-urban areas around Charleston don't really have a town center to speak of and schools outside of the urban area are rarely rated very highly unless they're private schools.

If it's in the budget, Daniel Island might give you the feel of a small town (even though it's technically part of incorporated Charleston). Beach access wouldn't be bad from there as long as it's not around rush hour.

Farther from Charleston, Wiseman's suggestion of Bluffton is worth looking into. I haven't been there for some years but Huntington Beach State Park is pretty nice though it can get crowded.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:45 AM

12,916 posts, read 18,761,054 times
The “CharlestonScene” section of the Post and Courier today has an article about a young woman who makes a living writing a blog called The Black Southern Belle about the hidden gems of Walterboro. So, if she can make a living writing about Walterboro, it might be worth an asterisk on the list of towns near Charleston.

Edit: Well, I read the story after posting. It turns out she is Walterboro-based, but travels the rural Southeast and writes about her discoveries. Her writings do include her discoveries in Walterboro, of course.

Last edited by Charlestondata; 08-29-2019 at 05:55 AM..

Old 08-29-2019, 06:15 AM

727 posts, read 716,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
I don't have much to add to this thread except to say that McClellanville (as BSJSAS pointed out) is likely the closest thing to what you're looking for that is also close to Charleston. Even then, McClellanville is probably near an hour drive to the nearest beach (Isle Of Palms) maybe more if there's traffic.
I wonder if Pawley's Island might be a little bit closer? Again, depends on traffic.

I don't know why I didn't think of this but if you can afford it, Summerville's Historic district feels and looks like a small town while you're in there. A few blocks away, though, you have access to everything you need.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:42 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,599,478 times
Quote:
I don't have much to add to this thread except to say that McClellanville (as BSJSAS pointed out) is likely the closest thing to what you're looking for that is also close to Charleston. Even then, McClellanville is probably near an hour drive to the nearest beach (Isle Of Palms) maybe more if there's traffic. Most of the non-urban areas around Charleston don't really have a town center to speak of and schools outside of the urban area are rarely rated very highly unless they're private schools.

If it's in the budget, Daniel Island might give you the feel of a small town (even though it's technically part of incorporated Charleston). Beach access wouldn't be bad from there as long as it's not around rush hour.

Farther from Charleston, Wiseman's suggestion of Bluffton is worth looking into. I haven't been there for some years but Huntington Beach State Park is pretty nice though it can get crowded.
I realize I mixed up my parks... Hunting Island State park that's close to Bluffton while Huntington Beach state park is closer to Myrtle Beach. Hunting Island is closer to Beaufort which might be another possibility to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSJSAS View Post
I wonder if Pawley's Island might be a little bit closer? Again, depends on traffic.

I don't know why I didn't think of this but if you can afford it, Summerville's Historic district feels and looks like a small town while you're in there. A few blocks away, though, you have access to everything you need.
I don't really think of Summerville as a small town. Over 50,000 people and while the downtown area itself is nice, Summerville itself is feeling more and more like an extension of the greater Charleston Metro area.

Pawley's is an idea I hadn't thought of but it might fit if the OP doesn't mind being that far from Charleston.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:42 AM

727 posts, read 716,088 times
Quote:
I don't really think of Summerville as a small town. Over 50,000 people and while the downtown area itself is nice, Summerville itself is feeling more and more like an extension of the greater Charleston Metro area.
Oh, I agree the area is much larger than the OP wants but I think if you lived in the historic area, you could pretend it's a small town (while you're in those few blocks, at least!) It has the look and feel of a small town until you venture out.

Old 09-15-2019, 11:44 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
The ocean near Dahlonega??
Lol, I missed the ocean requirement part.

Old 09-15-2019, 02:40 PM

12,916 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Harleyville if not too small, because it sure is attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area