Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 06:25 AM

252 posts, read 264,256 times

Advertisements

Is there any truth to the notion that a lot of rentals in a subdivision can negatively impact property values? There are a lot of newly built homes in my neighborhood that were bought by an investor that are posted for rent and it's got me feeling nervous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2020, 07:56 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,945,554 times
jon--

In my opinion, any negative stigma comes not from renters per se, but from the condition of the rental homes. Are these rental homes in your neighborhood in good shape ?? Are the properties kept neat and clean ?? Are there any junk cars on cinder blocks in the yard ?

An Investor's only obligation is not just to collect a check every month. Screen your tenants. Enforce the HOA rules.

In my subdivision we have some renters, but they are Boeing C-level managers on assignment from Washington state. They keep- their homes in better shape than some of the owners here.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:51 AM

482 posts, read 419,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
jon--

In my opinion, any negative stigma comes not from renters per se, but from the condition of the rental homes. Are these rental homes in your neighborhood in good shape ?? Are the properties kept neat and clean ?? Are there any junk cars on cinder blocks in the yard ?

An Investor's only obligation is not just to collect a check every month. Screen your tenants. Enforce the HOA rules.

In my subdivision we have some renters, but they are Boeing C-level managers on assignment from Washington state. They keep- their homes in better shape than some of the owners here.
True.....BUT rental properties = your neighborhood can be pegged as being transient in nature, which most certainly can impact home values. This is one reason why some communities with strong HOA's will forbid rentals.

There are exceptions to the rule of course, such as peninsular Charleston.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:52 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,036,768 times
Quote:
jon--

On the other hand, I have a rental in Ladson in a neighborhood that has seen better days. It was a nice place when I lived there ~12-15 years ago, but since then it's gone downhill. Really starting to wonder if it isn't time to sell before it gets worse..

Old 03-11-2020, 10:04 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,945,554 times
As I said, if the general neighborhood starts to get run-down, values will be impacted.....whether it's a renter or an owner. Nobody wants to live on Tobacco Road.

Old 03-11-2020, 10:24 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,295,234 times
Is it a corporate investor?
Google: Invitation Homes or American Home 4 Rent and be ready to get sick. Big article in NY Times on 3/8 & 3 months ago in Forbes -- horrible, beyond belief.

Old 03-11-2020, 10:41 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,596,699 times
As long as the homes are kept up well and the tenants are quality neighbors, then there shouldn't be a negative impact. Most buyers have no idea how many or which houses in a neighborhood are rentals. (this is different if it's a condo complex)

The problem comes because a lot of landlords don't maintain their properties and tenants have little incentive to do anything in the way of landscaping, etc. There's also going to be a higher % of renters who are problematic neighbors vs homeowners.

So I'd agree with the first response that it's not the fact that it's a rental per se, but what oftengoes hand in hand with rental properties. Unfortunately, it's never going to be a plus to have a lot of rentals in your neighborhood.

Old 03-12-2020, 02:25 AM

Quote:
jon--

These are newly built homes that were purchased by an investment company for rental. There's about 8 or 9 of them all in close proximity to each other, all with "For Rent" signs out front.

Old 03-12-2020, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
Is it a corporate investor?
Google: Invitation Homes or American Home 4 Rent and be ready to get sick. Big article in NY Times on 3/8 & 3 months ago in Forbes -- horrible, beyond belief.
It's American Homes 4 Rent.

Old 03-12-2020, 08:55 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
jonrd

Are these homes in an HOA? If so, there will be some control over what he renters can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area