Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 06:02 AM

5,284 posts, read 6,223,341 times

Advertisements

I have to wonder if part of the reason Mt Pleasant sees higher numbers is that a lot of health care workers live there. They have a lot more exposure and will be more likely to be tested. I know I am having to do surgery follow up in Mt P because MUSC had to close the West Ashley Ortho center last month after they suspected something like 70 people were exposed to Covid 19. (And they told me exposed not infected- don't want to cause a panic.)

I also have to wonder if Mt Pleasant has more remote workers/business travelers. Its been my experience that a fair number of the early retirees/fifty something transplants moved to town but still work for the previous employers.

No grand expertise but food for thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2020, 05:34 PM

25 posts, read 11,550 times
Default Emergency alert on Iphone this afternoon

I feel quite sure that there are probably double or possibly triple the number of cases that just haven’t been reported from Jan to March. I had a bad cold in Jan with 3 days of fever and keep wondering this myself.

Did anyone else get an emergency alert on their phones this afternoon? It said: “Stay home, don’t go out unless it’s essential. Cases are multiplying in all the counties of SC? “

Old 04-07-2020, 05:46 PM

Default Makes a lot of sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I have to wonder if part of the reason Mt Pleasant sees higher numbers is that a lot of health care workers live there. They have a lot more exposure and will be more likely to be tested. I know I am having to do surgery follow up in Mt P because MUSC had to close the West Ashley Ortho center last month after they suspected something like 70 people were exposed to Covid 19. (And they told me exposed not infected- don't want to cause a panic.)

I also have to wonder if Mt Pleasant has more remote workers/business travelers. Its been my experience that a fair number of the early retirees/fifty something transplants moved to town but still work for the previous employers.

No grand expertise but food for thought.
Good food for thought.. I didn’t think about it from that angle. It could very possibly be that because of that there was more testing going on in Mt Pleasant in the health care departments.

I thought it really odd that the Isle of Palms and other resort islands showed so few cases with all the tourists coming and going. Do the statistics all boil down to who’s testing?

Old 04-07-2020, 07:09 PM

3,868 posts, read 4,607,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynS View Post
I feel quite sure that there are probably double or possibly triple the number of cases that just haven’t been reported from Jan to March. I had a bad cold in Jan with 3 days of fever and keep wondering this myself.

Did anyone else get an emergency alert on their phones this afternoon? It said: “Stay home, don’t go out unless it’s essential. Cases are multiplying in all the counties of SC? “
My daughter got that alert today (I didn't). Can you tell where it came from? A branch of government? Google?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynS View Post
Good food for thought.. I didn’t think about it from that angle. It could very possibly be that because of that there was more testing going on in Mt Pleasant in the health care departments.

I thought it really odd that the Isle of Palms and other resort islands showed so few cases with all the tourists coming and going. Do the statistics all boil down to who’s testing?
I think the stats do boil down to who's testing.

Old 04-08-2020, 05:12 AM

Default SC Emergency Management Division

https://www.thestate.com/news/corona...241667306.html

Old 04-08-2020, 07:31 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,951,138 times
That Emergency Alert o your phone was just a re-enforcement of the Gov's Home or Work order, which went into effect on Tuesday a 5pm.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:43 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,770,499 times
I believe higher income, better educated people have the desire and mans to take better care of their health thus will seek medical help and be diagnosed sooner.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:50 AM

11,564 posts, read 6,041,805 times
Not Mt Pleasant specifically, but the Infection Tracker below shows that for Charleston County, only 1 person has died of Covid-19 among 328 cases. The infection rate is a paltry .08% or less than 1 person infected for every 1000 people.

https://infection2020.com

Old 04-12-2020, 08:27 AM

3,868 posts, read 4,607,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Not Mt Pleasant specifically, but the Infection Tracker below shows that for Charleston County, only 1 person has died of Covid-19 among 328 cases. The infection rate is a paltry .08% or less than 1 person infected for every 1000 people.

https://infection2020.com
I don't think the infection rate is accurate anywhere in the US due to lack of testing. The mortality rate of known cases vary's wildly from place to place. I'm assuming this is also an issue with testing in that only the very worst of cases are being tested in some places. For instance on the map you linked, Charleston county has 331 known cases and only 1 death while Beaufort County has 191 known cases and 6 deaths, Horry County 132 cases and 7 deaths. Trying to make sense of those numbers is futile at this point.

Nationwide, we have over 20,000 deaths and climbing fast. That's not much in dispute though to put it in perspective, influenza causes an average of ~35,000 deaths annually in the US. This is moving very fast and the picture will be very different in another 2-3 weeks. :-/

Old 04-12-2020, 08:47 AM

I did look at your link with one death.

Numbers are all over the place and very deceptive. How can one know which one is accurate?

Back in March I began writing down a “diary” of dates and cases. On 3-15 I showed 4 deaths in Charleston Co. On 3-31, I show I wrote 7 deaths. Then on 4-6 I showed 1 death with a couple of question marks. After that I was having a hard time finding any information for the cases in Charleston Co.

Are they changing the cause of death on death certificates? What happened, I kept wondering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area