Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 04:45 PM

3 posts, read 1,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njreid04 View Post
Thanks guys.

Yeah sorry about the lack of specific details.

Currently in Wisconsin, our house is valued on Zillow (take that for what it's worth) around 480k, so I'd be looking somewhere similar but ideally a mortgage of around 2000-2100 a month including taxes (which ours last year was 8k; Charleston/SC looks like a nice savings in Taxes for Real Estate). Ideally would be looking at a 4bd 2 ba house, w/ porch and fenced yard for the lab. We would sell here and buy there. If given the opportunity, I'm hoping I could wait to start until July so I don't have to pay back a bonus along with baby due around Memorial Day.

From a commute perspective, I'd be looking at no more than 45 minutes.

When I've looked on zillow at some houses, the ones in James Island seem to indicate lower quality schools, but perhaps that just the rating tool they use.

I'm hoping to at least get 10k more than my current salary (this would be a promo to me, but willing to take lateral salary for relocation). When I had an offer before it was about 15k less than my current salary so I had to pass. Two years ago I had offers from Greenville and Spartanburg, but again salary was an issue at one location and team vibe was the other.

I'm hoping this time is the charm! I will certainly take you up on your offer about housing, if I get a bit further down the line. Just trying to shore up some research at this point.

I’m a realtor here in Charleston and I would love to chat with you in regards to finding the right place at the right price. You’re in luck as a buyer because interest rates are at historic lows right now. From your description, I actually have a few places in mind that I could give you some details about just so you can start to get an idea of what you’re looking at in the specific locations. I actually had to relocate here myself so I understand how confusing things can be. Would you be open to chatting and just seeing what type of houses are out there for your budget? Would love to help in any way I can!

Also, I have a couple of friends that work in IT here in Charleston, I would be happy to reach out to them about potential opportunities. There are a few new software companies as well that have moved their headquarters to the area and I could give you those names. I know one specifically that is hiring like crazy. Let me know if you would be open to chatting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2021, 08:18 AM

23 posts, read 17,908 times
Thabks everyone for the details.

At this point, MUSC is outside the range we were hoping. By a lot.

I am certainly open to other IT opportunities if anyone knows of any.

Old 03-01-2021, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenserharvel View Post
I’m a realtor here in Charleston and I would love to chat with you in regards to finding the right place at the right price. You’re in luck as a buyer because interest rates are at historic lows right now. From your description, I actually have a few places in mind that I could give you some details about just so you can start to get an idea of what you’re looking at in the specific locations. I actually had to relocate here myself so I understand how confusing things can be. Would you be open to chatting and just seeing what type of houses are out there for your budget? Would love to help in any way I can!

Also, I have a couple of friends that work in IT here in Charleston, I would be happy to reach out to them about potential opportunities. There are a few new software companies as well that have moved their headquarters to the area and I could give you those names. I know one specifically that is hiring like crazy. Let me know if you would be open to chatting!
I’d for sure be open to chatting with you

Old 03-01-2021, 09:29 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,357,350 times
Quote:
Thabks everyone for the details.

At this point, MUSC is outside the range we were hoping. By a lot.

I am certainly open to other IT opportunities if anyone knows of any.

You didn't find MUSC's mission valuable enough to make up for the salary gap?

(not surprised)

Old 03-01-2021, 11:09 AM

While I can applaud mission/vision, especially in health care where I spent 10 years of my life. Mission also doesn't pay the bills. There was about a 40k gap with considerable effort and responsibilities. Even for a lateral move from my old leadership role at a local health care organization, this would have been considerable gap even at that point (which was 5 years ago).

I would have absolutely loved the opportunity that the position offered, but 40k is a large amount to overcome especially in a region that is about 4% higher COL than where I'm currently at.

Old 03-01-2021, 01:54 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
You didn't find MUSC's mission valuable enough to make up for the salary gap?

(not surprised)
When I lived in Charleston, I preferred the Roper St Francis Hospitals. It seems at MUSC that everyone was a Chief and their were few Indians. Talk about holier then thou. That is MUSC.

Old 03-01-2021, 03:20 PM

5,723 posts, read 4,698,030 times
Quote:
While I can applaud mission/vision, especially in health care where I spent 10 years of my life. Mission also doesn't pay the bills. There was about a 40k gap with considerable effort and responsibilities. Even for a lateral move from my old leadership role at a local health care organization, this would have been considerable gap even at that point (which was 5 years ago).

I would have absolutely loved the opportunity that the position offered, but 40k is a large amount to overcome especially in a region that is about 4% higher COL than where I'm currently at.
Unfortunately I'm not surprised.

Old 03-02-2021, 06:49 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,357,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
When I lived in Charleston, I preferred the Roper St Francis Hospitals. It seems at MUSC that everyone was a Chief and their were few Indians. Talk about holier then thou. That is MUSC.

When you're really sick.. you go to MUSC. When your kid's sick.. MUSC. When the procedure isn't risky, overly invasive, and you don't need the specialty depth, then Roper. Roper tends to have better bed side care... not as clinical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area