Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 10:25 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,685,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
The people who approve and disapprove developments are just going to have to reach the point at which they tell the NIMBYs to sit down and shut up and to move to the country or a small town if they don’t want growth, healthy and well-designed urban development. There aren’t even enough housing units available in the densest cities. That’s why they cost so much.

The city, towns of all sizes, and the country ———- … After all, this is called city data dot com, not suburbia or metro area dot com.

Sorry, I’m a purist. And I actually see this topic as being related to the Yankee go home sentiment, because we do have gobs of room left to grow the right way here to comfortably accommodate people no matter where they come from.
The NIMBY's have been running things around here for a long time. They know how, and when, to use legal means to get their way. They've also been losing ground much more frequently than they did in the past.

You're a purist about Charleston, but come from Columbia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 12:32 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,429,791 times
Default Jefferson Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrd463 View Post
"100% Dixie. Is General Lee your grandfather?!"
No, but I stand for the statue in Richmond! Jefferson Davis , Sir.

Old 07-28-2021, 02:33 PM

7,324 posts, read 4,121,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity2019 View Post
It means go back North if you came from above the Mason Dixon line (Richmond, Virginia - Capital of Confederacy). Here's a good quiz for you to see if you have to return back or not .....

https://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intell...ixie_quiz.html

My score: 79% Dixie
I loved this quiz!

When I lived in MA, I was asked bring something to a class party. The Class Mother asked if I wanted to bring tonic. I was completely shocked. I replied tonic? Yes, she said tonic. No, I don't think so!

Secondly she asked if I would give a can of juice. I replied a can of juice? Could I bring a bottle of juice instead? She was so exasperated with me. She was like fine, bring a bottle of juice.

Only afterwards, I learned she meant tonic = soda and NOT tonic water for gin & tonics!

She never called me again!

Yes, the quiz said I am a New Yorker.

No one has said "Yankee go home" to me! They might asked me when I'm from. The answer is "New York, but I am so happy I moved here!" It immediately cuts them off from saying anything more.

Old 07-28-2021, 06:27 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,596,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
I believe the point LocalHero is trying to make is consumers, the demand he sees, is more for a suburban home than an urban one. This is the same view I tend to have. People like having a yard and their own personal green space. Some people love the urban experience, but many are moving to this region away from that experience and they're seeking personal green space. An ability to live in a place not stacked on top of each other.
I haven't had time to read the links CharlestonData posted but yes, this is what I'm driving at. Regardless of what makes sense to urban planners, what people actually want will mostly win out in the end.

Old 07-29-2021, 12:04 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,429,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I loved this quiz!

When I lived in MA, I was asked bring something to a class party. The Class Mother asked if I wanted to bring tonic. I was completely shocked. I replied tonic? Yes, she said tonic. No, I don't think so!

Secondly she asked if I would give a can of juice. I replied a can of juice? Could I bring a bottle of juice instead? She was so exasperated with me. She was like fine, bring a bottle of juice.

Only afterwards, I learned she meant tonic = soda and NOT tonic water for gin & tonics!

She never called me again!

Yes, the quiz said I am a New Yorker.

No one has said "Yankee go home" to me! They might asked me when I'm from. The answer is "New York, but I am so happy I moved here!" It immediately cuts them off from saying anything more.

LOL! Glad you enjoyed the quiz Ma'am. Welcome to the south, and I won't say yankee go back to New York to you, but there are sure a lot of you from New York here in Charleston now!

Old 07-29-2021, 12:10 PM

12,889 posts, read 18,744,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
The NIMBY's have been running things around here for a long time. They know how, and when, to use legal means to get their way. They've also been losing ground much more frequently than they did in the past.

You're a purist about Charleston, but come from Columbia?
I’m a purist about cities. I was the same regarding development in Columbia. There are movers and shakers in Columbia who would vouch for me on that. I showed up at meetings where invited and had my say. Nothing’s changed. Wherever I live , I want the healthiest, smartest design. Traditional growth from back in the old days was best, regardless of geographic location.

Old 07-29-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
But you act like both dont exist. Theyre building SFH developments in Goose Creek and Summerville, but also building a wave of apartments and condos in Charleston and North Charleston. Downtown is being infilled. The west end is being built up. One day before 2085 the Neck will be developed and will likely be an urban build. Different areas of the metro cater to different needs. Charleston is not supposed to look like Chicago nor is it practical.
Both what don’t exist? The city and suburbia? I know both exist. I’m saying that with cities, towns of all sizes, and the country, there would have been enough options for everyone to live in the type of housing they preferred, without cul-de-sacs, huge cookie-cutter subdivisions, and clogged traffic, if the cities and towns had been built incrementally.

Old 07-29-2021, 12:56 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,685,139 times
Quote:
I’m a purist about cities. I was the same regarding development in Columbia. There are movers and shakers in Columbia who would vouch for me on that. I showed up at meetings where invited and had my say. Nothing’s changed. Wherever I live , I want the healthiest, smartest design. Traditional growth from back in the old days was best, regardless of geographic location.
Well said.

Old 07-29-2021, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
I haven't had time to read the links CharlestonData posted but yes, this is what I'm driving at. Regardless of what makes sense to urban planners, what people actually want will mostly win out in the end.
Right now it’s largely sheep following the crowd, because that’s pretty much all that’s available for the price they can afford. Change is coming.

Old 07-29-2021, 07:19 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
I can imagine that your years in DC shaped and influenced your perspective in this regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area