Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2021, 12:04 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
According to money . co . uk, only Austin TX and Tokyo are better cities to relocate to than Charleston.

https://www.money.co.uk/mortgages/relocation-report
I know Austin pretty well. Never been to Tokyo. Been to Charleston several times.

Charleston would certainly get our vote. We're not moving anywhere, but if we were to win a lottery Charleston would be very high on our list. I'm talking right down town Charleston, where you NEED to have lottery money to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2021, 01:29 PM

12,916 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
You need to understand the difference between detractors and pie in the sky idealists.
And the difference between positive-thinking and negative-thinking people? I wasn’t born yesterday.

Old 11-19-2021, 01:31 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,691,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
And the difference between positive-thinking and negative-thinking people? I wasn’t born yesterday.
So, pointing out the reality of the current situation is negative? Interesting projection there bud.

Old 11-20-2021, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
So, pointing out the reality of the current situation is negative? Interesting projection there bud.
No. Projecting that Charleston can’t and/or won’t solve issues or at least make a lot of progress toward its goals is negative. I would be a Pollyanna if I were sitting here saying Charleston doesn’t have issues. I’m just thinking positively, as some people do, when I say Charleston and other popular, booming cities, can make major improvements, with better design at the forefront.

Old 12-01-2021, 07:07 AM

5 posts, read 3,696 times
Lived here my whole life. If it was convenient to move, I would as quick as I could. Might be ranked 3rd if you are in the top 1% and have the money to live in the luxury areas. I honestly do not care for how the area has developed.

Old 12-01-2021, 09:15 AM

When I read such comments I stop and double check my status and conclude once again that I’m not in the top 1%, far from it, yet I enjoy Charleston a lot.

Old 12-01-2021, 04:03 PM

5 posts, read 3,696 times
Yes, we are entitled to our opinions in what we like and dislike. There are far worse places ro live and far better places. Everyone's experiences are different. Glad you enjoy the area.

Old 01-06-2022, 09:22 PM

266 posts, read 236,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Developers build to the demand. And, the demand is for suburban areas. Spaces with yards and some space.
Govt generally makes it illegal to build anything but suburbs nowadays. And due to zoning and regulations, new urbsn development is extremely expensive, so you either get nothing, skyscrapers, or suburbs

Old 01-07-2022, 05:00 AM

1,124 posts, read 926,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebruiser500 View Post
Govt generally makes it illegal to build anything but suburbs nowadays. And due to zoning and regulations, new urbsn development is extremely expensive, so you either get nothing, skyscrapers, or suburbs
Yeah but Charleston gets it extra hard. If you want to build anything downtown your plan better be full proof and ready to go in front of the various boards. Or else it’ll get shot down quick. It seems like to me, anything south of Huger Street that’s not right up against the harbor better not be an apartment or hotel. Just from what I’ve read and seen. And then since it’s so flood prone you’ve got even more standards to build to which just unfortunately makes the price go up even more. It’s sad to say, but eventually, maybe in a couple decades I can see everything from the neck down being unattainable for even those who are upper middle class… The whole metro region down there, imo, is slowly becoming a place for the well to do. And I’m not necessarily saying that’s a bad thing. Credit where credit is due the region has worked hard to bring the well to do jobs and atmosphere. But surely, given it’s been happening for decades, those in government knew it would push lower to middle income people away. Especially MP and downtown Charleston. And I get a feeling that eventually, even suburban Summerville might only be for the upper middle class. But at least there’s still places like WA, North Charleston, and Hanahan/Goose Creek.

Old 01-07-2022, 08:36 PM

It’s in the news constantly here that the movers and shakers know the city and close-in spots have to have more housing units available at all price points. They are brainstorming to get it done to meet the demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area