Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2022, 12:22 PM

3 posts, read 4,340 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody!

We live in NJ with small children and are looking into Mount Pleasant. While we are well aware of the many pros to living there (as well as some cons, re: traffic), we had wondered how much housing value and general “wealth” play into how people are viewed in the area. We are looking to buy in the neighborhood of $600k but we see so many homes well above that. Is there a divide amongst people who live in the ~$1M homes and those in the $550-$650 range? Does it depend on neighborhood? Does it even matter? Just wondering if there are any biases based on neighborhood or home value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2022, 12:29 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJrelo752 View Post
Hi Everybody!

We live in NJ with small children and are looking into Mount Pleasant. While we are well aware of the many pros to living there (as well as some cons, re: traffic), we had wondered how much housing value and general “wealth” play into how people are viewed in the area. We are looking to buy in the neighborhood of $600k but we see so many homes well above that. Is there a divide amongst people who live in the ~$1M homes and those in the $550-$650 range? Does it depend on neighborhood? Does it even matter? Just wondering if there are any biases based on neighborhood or home value.
Take a look at Planter's Pointe and Park West. Ideal locations for schools and shopping.

Old 07-31-2022, 02:21 PM

3 posts, read 4,340 times
Thank you! However, I am curious if there any “biases” towards particular neighborhoods. Do most neighborhoods keep to themselves? Are some seen as “lesser” by other neighborhoods? I really ask because of how the kids treat each other at school.

Old 07-31-2022, 05:13 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,597,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJrelo752 View Post
Hi Everybody!

I think you might find biases in individuals in any situation but neighborhood/community wide? No, I've never seen or heard of that. Kids will be kids and cliques will be formed based on whatever but not likely on neighborhood status. Individual wealth, might be something kids (and small-minded adults) might focus on but that's the case in any economic strata. It's an interesting phenomena that because the Charleston area is laced with so many water ways, it's not uncommon to have one house on a street worth $500k and the one across the street but on a deep water creek, worth 3-4 times as much.

When I first moved here decades ago, I lived on Folly Beach and would often hear people say Mt Pleasant residents were "snobbish". I've worked all over the area as a contractor and I can't say I found that to be true... people are just people. A small percent are snobby but I never found it to be a general rule for an area.

Edit: South of Broad St on the Charleston Peninsula had always been known as the higher priced area where the Charleston elite lived. In a tongue-in-cheek nod to that fact, there is a restaurant a block or two north of Broad St called Slightly North Of Broad or S.N.O.B. It's a good restaurant. snobcharleston.com

Old 07-31-2022, 06:19 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,688,128 times
The North end of Mount Pleasant (Carolina Park) is referred as South Jersey by some. Not sure where you’re trying to go with your clique references.

Old 07-31-2022, 06:53 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,747,799 times
Moving to Mount Pleasant from NJ and possibly dealing with venomous copperhead snakes and hurricanes on your property doesn't bother you?

When I was there some years back it looked like there were some poverty stricken neighborhoods not far from the upscale developments, don't know if It's still the same today. Additionally, it seemed like loads of college kids are there, one night a carload of them started following us and yelling at our car, my friend told me to call the police, but they finally stopped following us.

I thought Mount Pleasant was nice to visit, but it didn't impress me as a place I would want to leave NY for.

Old 07-31-2022, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Moving to Mount Pleasant from NJ and possibly dealing with venomous copperhead snakes and hurricanes on your property doesn't bother you?

When I was there some years back it looked like there were some poverty stricken neighborhoods not far from the upscale developments, don't know if It's still the same today. Additionally, it seemed like loads of college kids are there, one night a carload of them started following us and yelling at our car, my friend told me to call the police, but they finally stopped following us.

I thought Mount Pleasant was nice to visit, but it didn't impress me as a place I would want to leave NY for.
Sorry, but this is borderline comical. Mt Pleasant is considered one of the nicest areas to live around Charleston and that's saying a lot. How long ago did you last visit?

Old 08-01-2022, 04:55 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,747,799 times
@localhero.....What is borderline comical? Everything I posted is true, but I wasn't sure how close the poverty neighborhoods are to the more upscale developments.

The car incident I posted about is true, in fact my friend who told me to call the police from my cell phone was a federal government law enforcement agent working in Charleston at the time and even he was scared.

Anyway, maybe the link below will help the OP determine home values in Mount Pleasant.

https://bestneighborhood.org/best-ne...t-pleasant-sc/

Last edited by wp169; 08-01-2022 at 05:17 AM..

Old 08-01-2022, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
@localhero.....What is borderline comical? Everything I posted is true, but I wasn't sure how close the poverty neighborhoods are to the more upscale developments.

The car incident I posted about is true, in fact my friend who told me to call the police from my cell phone was a federal government law enforcement agent working in Charleston at the time and even he was scared.

Anyway, maybe the link below will help the OP determine home values in Mount Pleasant.

https://bestneighborhood.org/best-ne...t-pleasant-sc/

Well you experienced one incident with some unruly college kids and used that as a measure to judge an entire town?

And Copperheads and hurricanes? Yes, the whole southeast might have more snakes (venomous and not) than colder climates, but the incidence of snakebite is so low that to consider it as a factor in rating an area's desirability suggest an over-sized concern about snakes. A valid concern for an individual maybe, but not a good measure for the average person.
As for hurricanes, yes, there is the increased possibility of experiencing a hurricane here. Just as there is along most of the eastern seaboard, including NJ as Hurricane Sandy showed us 10 years ago. Again, it doesn't stop most people from wanting to live here.

The map you linked is interesting, especially in that it shows Mt Pleasant being composed almost entirely of the higher measures in the "Desireability [sic] Index" and none of the lowest category. Are there lower income areas in Mt Pleasant? Of course, just as you would find in any city of 50+ sq miles. I haven't heard anyone apply the term "Poverty stricken" to them before but it might apply. (how many years ago were you here?)

Mt Pleasant is one of the most desirable areas around Charleston by many measures. It was the second fastest growing city in the entire US a few years ago and continues to be an extremely popular town in an extremely popular area. That's not hyperbole, it's measurable fact. To take a couple of loosely defined measures (and one incident) to judge the town and come up with a conclusion that runs counter to almost everyone else... well I found it kind of funny.

Old 08-01-2022, 08:04 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
Sorry, but this is borderline comical. Mt Pleasant is considered one of the nicest areas to live around Charleston and that's saying a lot. How long ago did you last visit?
Especially since New Jersey experiences hurricanes and has copperheads and timber rattlers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area