Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2008, 05:26 PM

18 posts, read 61,054 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking to find a teaching job as an elementary teacher in charleston or beaufort counties.....I would like to live near the coast and in the southern part of the state. I have visited many websites...but am curious of any personal opinions of schools that you think are best in and around the area or anyone who I can contact regarding this. I have been reading good things about Summerville, Mt. Pleasant, and West Ashley. I really prefer to teach in a suburban school that is in a good area....not an inner city poverty stricken incredibly diverse area Please!!
Thanks!!

Last edited by amyel429; 07-15-2008 at 05:36 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 06:41 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,017,112 times
I'd start by speaking with the Charleston County School Board, and the Dorchester County School Board. Both are building/have recently built new schools at the moment and are certainly looking for more qualified educators.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:31 PM

207 posts, read 1,003,654 times
I teach in Dorchester 2, which is the highest ranked district in this area. Any of the schools in this district are good and the district is incredibly supportive (Smart Boards in every classroom, every teacher has a laptop, etc.) It is a competitive district for getting jobs...but if you have a good resume and strong recommendations, you may find something over the summer as new classes are being formed with student moving into the area. DD2 did not build any new elementary schools this year so they aren't hiring quite as much as last year. We are in the suburbs, but still a diverse area. My school is excellent but still 40 percent free/reduced lunch and we have a diverse group because its a combination of new suburban neighborhoods and students from the former rural area.

There are a few good school in Mount Pleasant, but those are the only Charleston Co. schools that I would be willing to work for. I did most of my student teaching in Charleston and Berkeley Co. and neither district provides any where near the amount of support that DD2 provides. The Mt. P schools are strong because the residents of Mt. P are wealthy...so you'll find strong parent support (but little district support.)

The only school in Berkeley Co. that fits what you describe is the Daniel Island School.

Just remember, diversity isn't always a bad thing. I taught on Daniel Island for a year and found the parents were extremely demanding and never pleased. It was not a rewarding experience at all.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:52 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,762,288 times
I PM'd you.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:45 PM

42 posts, read 166,599 times
Ashley River Creative Arts is an outstanding public school in West Ashley. They infuse the fine arts into their teaching and the children and parents love it. They offer suzuki violin, ballet, jazz, and drama and their test scores are pretty good too. It is also more of a socio economic mix. You just need to register (there is a randomly chosen number lottery) so you'd be eligible for the 09-10 school year. Plus theywill be getting a BRAND new facility then!

Old 07-17-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanharrison View Post
You just need to register (there is a randomly chosen number lottery) so you'd be eligible for the 09-10 school year. Plus theywill be getting a BRAND new facility then!
I think she's looking to teach...the lottery system is for getting children into the school, right?

It would definitely be a great place to teach as well, but all of the arts schools are VERY competitive when it comes to jobs.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:27 AM

73 posts, read 264,080 times
"I really prefer to teach in a suburban school that is in a good area....not an inner city poverty stricken incredibly diverse area Please!!"

Honestly, this is what is wrong with our school systems!

Old 07-17-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBuckeyes View Post
"I really prefer to teach in a suburban school that is in a good area....not an inner city poverty stricken incredibly diverse area Please!!"

I agree!

But as a teacher, I think a lot of it has to do with the district and administration. As long as I have good district support and a strong administration, I am happy teaching any group of kids! But not everyone feels that way.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:03 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,581,431 times
Stiles Point on James Island is very good.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:17 PM

355 posts, read 1,449,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBuckeyes View Post

I have to agree, that's pretty scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area