Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2008, 06:11 PM

77 posts, read 254,288 times

Advertisements

What can you tell me about Moncks Corner? We are looking for a small town close to Summerville. Also, any info about St. John's Christian Academy? Can anyone recommend some good neighborhoods in the area? (price range: max. $220k). Good realtor in the area? Any thoughts on the Moss Grove and Stoney Creek developments?? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 07:18 PM

899 posts, read 3,491,595 times
Those developments are pretty much out by themselves. To me, they don't have a small town feel. Moncks Corner is still growing quickly and there are a number of developments that are a bit closer. Your price point is good for the area.

Why Moncks Corner? Are you familiar with the area? Is Goose Creek in the cards?
We have tons of questions for you, but do a thread search on Moncks Corner & you'll find a bunch of info.
jim

Old 01-22-2008, 05:44 AM

thanks Jim 3310,
I guess we are looking at Moncks Corner because we are used to a small town. the growth of Summerville and Goose Creek doesn't appeal to us.
Also, we want to be near the school where our children will attend. We think we like St. John's so far. Do you or anyone else have info on that school? What about Pimlico? Nice area? Is it in our price range (under $220k)?

Old 01-22-2008, 06:34 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,431,020 times
Moss Grove is in your price range. I am seeing 4 bedrooms homes in the 220,000 or less. Beazer does a nice job with their floor plans and they have some nice amenities in that neighborhood. I had a client who was in the Navy looking in that neighborhood, He ended up closer to Goose Creek in Liberty Hall Plantation (centex) but the prices in Moss Creek were very enticing to him.

Stoney Creek is also in your price range. The builder( First coast) is a less known. If I remember correctly they have larger bedrooms, but sometimes lack in living space. I have shown their development in Summerville area. I would check them out the prices are much less than Beazer.

I am not as familiar with Pimlico area. So I can't help you there. Sorry. I usually try to stay in areas i know. However I did a search on mls and from what I see Pimlico would be out of your current range. Most homes are between $250 and up. There was one for less, but it was only 1600 sq ft and with "children" that would be tight.

As far as the School, I haven't heard much. Maybe someone can be more helpful.

St. John’s Christian Academy
Grades: K-12.
Telephone: 761-8539.
Address:

204 W. Main St., Moncks Corner, SC 29461-2603.
Cost: Varies by grade.
Enrollment: 383.
Admissions Deadline: Feb. 7, and open enrollment starts Feb. 8.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:06 AM

Thanks for the info, beachme,
I will look into Liberty Hall as well. How far is Liberty Hall from St. John's? In your opinion, which of those developments give you more for the $. (We are especially interested in getting something with a bit of property - at least not sitting on top of your neighbor-type).

Old 01-22-2008, 07:53 AM

Liberty Hall is in Goose Creek so it would be further and you will get more for your money in Monks Corner because it is still a growing area. Further to the beach and Charleston and not much there so you'll have to commute to charleston for shopping and entertainment. But that sounds like what your looking for.

You won't get much land in any of these commnities. The average lot size is abut .20 but there are some lots over that. It just depends whats available or if yu can build and pick your lot.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:54 AM

wanted to add Moss Grove has a lot of amentities and more of a community feel. So in my opinion.. more for your money.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:21 PM

899 posts, read 3,491,595 times
Hi CharlieGirl;
The area of Moncks Corner is pretty well spread out. You're not going to get a small town feel, unless your in Moncks Corner proper. That is a small town with mostly older homes.

You will be able to get a 'Community' feel in some of those subdivisions though. You would need to spend some time & get a feel for the area.

Pimlico is very nice, but the selection is sparse. There are a number of homes above your price point. However, there are two just over 2,000 sf for around $K.

jim

Old 01-22-2008, 10:57 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,681,701 times
St John's is a very good private school. I have friends that had and still have kids that go there. Liberty Hall is about 15 miles from St. John's. A couple nice neighborhoods to check out that are about 4 miles from St. John's are Sterling Oaks and Stoney Landing. Moss Grove is about 5 miles from St. John's. People I know that live in there really like it.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:21 PM

7 posts, read 28,970 times
I came on this site specifically to find out information about Moncks Corner since that's where we will be relocating to as soon as our house sells. We visited Moncks Corner early spring of 2008 we actually stayed with relatives that live in Moss Grove Plantation and we loved it....we looked at other communities we did the Ponds in Summerville which will be a great community when it's finished but way over priced....looked at a community i'm not sure where it was but the builder was BK realty not far from Moncks Corner and the houses where not big enough for us but still nice....in the end we ended up loving Moss Grove and we'll end up having family in the same community so it works out. So to answer part of your question Moss Grove is great (in my opinion) specially for what you're getting we are looking at their 5 bedroom house and the price for it is 177k at the moment but even when we went to visit it was in the low 200k so that is in your price range specially if your looking for a house with less bedrooms. They do have a huge Wal Mart five minutes away withing that shopping center is a gym a game stop and a couple of other things....near by are also a couple of supermarkets and restaurants not necessarily fancy five star restaurants but i did eat in a few of them and the food was great. I don't know if it's because i live in Long Island but when i hear that to go do major shopping like for the malls and for entertainment i would have to drive 30 - 45 minutes that doesn't really bother me i think that's pretty good.

Good Luck

Maybe we'll be neighbors in Moss Grove LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area