Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 07:31 AM

38 posts, read 90,724 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks, I have been following all the posts in regard to the Summerville and Mt. Pleasant areas. I have a daughter who lives in W. Columbia and I also have my brothers living in Charlotte, NC. In the next 4-6 months I plan to make my way "home" from Brooklyn, NY. I have decided not to return to Charlotte and want to be nearer Charleston yet not in it. I have read a lot about families or soon-to-be families looking for nice neighborhoods.

My question: my children are grown and I am an empty-nester looking for a patio or townhome community that has a wide range of age groups; not necessarily looking for a community with the majority being a young family only community - no offense meant - just that I have raised my children and want a place that offers serenity as well as being convenient to shopping, etc., small town feel, and accessible to Charleston. I am thinking of taking some cooking classes or cake decorating classes, etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Cannot wait to head back South!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 11:12 AM

459 posts, read 1,642,707 times
There are quite a few areas around the Charleston area that would fit in with your description. The internet is such a valuable tool for you to learn about the area in advance. Choose a search engine and start looking for groups or craft organizations that interest you. It may depend upon the price range you intend to shop within. Proximity to shopping and medical care is important to some folks. These are the things readily found with a little poking around in cyber-space. Good luck regardless of where you settle.

Last edited by fqtravlr; 12-10-2008 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 12-10-2008, 06:36 PM

6 posts, read 16,412 times
Default Credit History?

Hi allwas trying to find a decent place to live in Summerville/Charleston area ,as the wife is being transferred to the VA Hospital on Bee st in Charleston.She is a registered nurse with a bachelors degree *** laud,I am a disabled Viet-nam vet and recieve a pension from the VA.We also have an 8 year old grand-daughter that lives with us.Our problem is our credit isn't as good as it should be due to letting this place up here in Massachusetts go into fore closure.We bought this older home in hopes of fixing it up,but due to the fact my health has gone down hill and the house needing so much work it really isn't worth throwing good money after bad.Plus interest rates went sky high when we first purchased it,well to make a long story short it seems all the nice apartments do credit checks.In this day of high rate of fore closures,how can we secure a nice place to live.Any help would greatly be appreciated ,thank you.
p.s.I am 58 wife is 46 so we are not kids lol

Old 12-12-2008, 04:49 PM

9 posts, read 27,738 times
Default Many Choices

Many neighborhoods in Summerville and Goose Creek may fit your needs. We also have a Del Webb community that is growing rapidly near Goose Creek.

Let me know if I can answer specific questions about the area.

Good Luck

Old 12-13-2008, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thardesty View Post
Many neighborhoods in Summerville and Goose Creek may fit your needs. We also have a Del Webb community that is growing rapidly near Goose Creek.

Let me know if I can answer specific questions about the area.

Good Luck
Thanks for your reply. Do you happen to know anything about the EPCON community, Marrington Villas at Cobblestone, that is being built in Goose Creek?

Old 12-27-2008, 08:50 AM

From what I have seen it is supposed to be a really nice community. They are starting to build but don't have model yet, just a sales trailer at the entrance. I can go by early next week and get any information you might want.

Last edited by Global Friend; 01-23-2009 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: no advertising

Old 12-28-2008, 07:16 AM

[quote=thardesty;6720154]From what I have seen it is supposed to be a really nice community. They are starting to build but don't have model yet, just a sales trailer at the entrance. I can go by early next week and get any information you might want. You can answer here or email me at quote]

Thank you very much. I have been going online to the Epcon website and really the only way I can judge is by the communities already established. Also, I find that it is a little frustrating that the models for the community in Summerville doesn't state the square footage, which is something I really need to consider. I would hope that as things finalize here, I will have a better idea when I would be relocating; hopefully before Summer.

Last edited by Global Friend; 01-23-2009 at 06:54 AM..

Old 01-07-2009, 11:41 AM

Finally got by the Epcon site and have some info for you. Four models to choose from 1137 - 1945 square feet.( does not include garage and patio area ) priced from 176-260K. I have floor plans and plenty of other information I can send. Just let me know.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:30 AM

122 posts, read 479,777 times
Peggy,
Thinking the same as you. Please let me know if you find someplace you like. My Aunt and I are thinking about moving south (Jersey Girls eh Women). Like you want want to be near shopping and not too many little kids. Have you thought about Alabama?
Some of the threads are stating that people are becoming more rude down south too. Has your family noticed that too?

Old 01-08-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl3624 View Post
Peggy,
Thinking the same as you. Please let me know if you find someplace you like. My Aunt and I are thinking about moving south (Jersey Girls eh Women). Like you want want to be near shopping and not too many little kids. Have you thought about Alabama?
Some of the threads are stating that people are becoming more rude down south too. Has your family noticed that too?
Hi. I think the thing to remember is that there are rude people wherever you go. I have found that for the most part, people are kind and welcoming. I have visited my daughter in Columbia, SC and the people I have met are nice and they are real. My brothers, who live in the Mooreseville, NC area are nice as well. The area I am most interested in is Summerville, SC. It is about 25-30 minutes from Charleston and about 1.30 hours from Columbia, SC. I have not been to Summerville yet, but my daughter says it is a very nice town with shopping ,etc. nearby. It has a small town feel yet access to ammenities is close by. City life in the South tends to be more active and more what we would see here in the North. In the suburbs, the pace is slower and easier. Some people can't get used to that lifestyle. I would suggest you and your aunt plan a weekend trip to the Charleston area, rent a car, and drive to some of the neighborhoods that catch your eye. Do some research and have a plan. Take a lot of pictures so when you get back to Jersey you can sit and digest the information.

My ex is from Birmingham, AL. but I really don't remember too much about it. The gulf coast is great but you have to worry about the hurricanes.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area