Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2011, 12:30 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,233,583 times

Advertisements

Oh, it's terribly racist in South Carolina. The only place worse is anywhere up North or on the Left Coast, or anywhere in the Middle East.

We still have Klansmen marching up and down the streets every weekend. I guess that's why so many Yankees keep moving down here. They're thinking all the racism will help keep them from having to live around black people.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:31 AM

259 posts, read 554,040 times
Racisim......nationalism....classism...ignorantism ...still prevailent behind closed doors (and at times it bubbles to the surface) through out the USA and parts of the world I've seen...though I wish it wasn't so.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:58 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,181,771 times
Default Goose Creek

We just relocated to Goose Creek and I'd say downtown Charleston is about 30 minutes from where we are.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:42 PM

530 posts, read 1,340,531 times
Default Racism and SC

I lived in and attended MUSC in Charleston in 1991-1993. All I can say is that a legitimate excuse for not attending a required "assembly on multi-culturalism" at MUSC in 1993 was that the speaker was black. Three students were excused by my professor because they all stated that their great-great-grandpapies owned slaves, and they would be damned if they were to sit and listen to a "n*****" speak. This was considered a legitimate excuse for not attending!! Need I say more? I graduated and was on the next plane out...never looked back. South Carolina was a true ****hole.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:22 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,021,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny1951 View Post
I lived in and attended MUSC in Charleston in 1991-1993. All I can say is that a legitimate excuse for not attending a required "assembly on multi-culturalism" at MUSC in 1993 was that the speaker was black. Three students were excused by my professor because they all stated that their great-great-grandpapies owned slaves, and they would be damned if they were to sit and listen to a "n*****" speak. This was considered a legitimate excuse for not attending!! Need I say more? I graduated and was on the next plane out...never looked back. South Carolina was a true ****hole.
Thanks for stopping by!

Old 07-19-2011, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,197 times
Why do people from the north and west move to the south and always want to know if there's racism here, as if the south is the only place that has racism? To answer the question, yes, there is racism in he south, just like there is in NYC, Chicago, Cali, and everywhere else on the planet, you all are not immune to it, so don't even front. It's probably no worse here than any place else but there's always that perception. I live in Charlotte and see inter-racial couples all the time, it's quite common. As long as anyone is looking for racism behind every tree and under every rock they're sure to find it. Drop your pre-conceived notions and have a more positive attitude about your move and I'm sure you'll see less racism and feel safer no matter where you choose to live.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:46 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,763,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny1951 View Post
Hogwash. I truly doubt incident ever happened. It does help to support the "cause" though - that "let's-prove-that-Southerners-are racist" bandwagon that many are so quick to jump on.....and stay on.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:27 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,677,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
Hogwash. I truly doubt incident ever happened. It does help to support the "cause" though - that "let's-prove-that-Southerners-are racist" bandwagon that many are so quick to jump on.....and stay on.
And even if it did happen, to use an event that happened 20 years ago as evidence of a general attitude for the region is ridiculous. Tides change quickly in this country. Don't believe me? Deduct 20 years for the posters story and tell me what it was like in Charleston in 1971..... or 1951.....
That post is as silly as if I took that one posters story and held it up as proof that MUSC clearly doesn't produce critical thinkers in their program.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:54 AM

2,501 posts, read 7,763,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
And even if it did happen, to use an event that happened 20 years ago as evidence of a general attitude for the region is ridiculous. Tides change quickly in this country. Don't believe me? Deduct 20 years for the posters story and tell me what it was like in Charleston in 1971..... or 1951.....
That post is as silly as if I took that one posters story and held it up as proof that MUSC clearly doesn't produce critical thinkers in their program.
Exactly!

Old 07-21-2011, 11:25 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,954,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everwatchful View Post
Racism is in the eye, and sometime the ear, of the beholder. But regionalism, particularly where the elitest in most of the country are concerned, is still a big problem.

Almost every news and entertainment venue, and publisher, still refer to the area in a negative way. The term "going South" is constantly thrown out to indicate a failing trend, as in "his golf game is going south by the minute, Johnny".

If the South is such a bad place, why do so many from the North (East and West) flock to it? And why is regionalism o.k., but racism is not.

People from the Northeast want out so bad but then they want to compare and transform a place into the Northeast. It's easier to just stay in the place that you love. If the taxes are too high get involved and make a change in the North East. They complain about the heat and humidity down south yet they want out of the snow. No place is perfect. Take the good with the bad.

I'm from NY but live in AZ now and I hear the same crap from these people from NY. Too hot, racist, food stinks, blah blah blah....

Anyway ended up on this thread looking for info on Charleston for a retirement place. We are what you could call a mixed couple as well. I am not worried about it though and never have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area