Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 02:00 PM

846 posts, read 1,796,967 times

Advertisements

WCBD (2) has fired Warren Peper after a 3 1/2 year stint at the station. It was in today's newspaper, and there is a major outcry about this, as Media General (Channel 2's owner) fired him and a photographer to cut costs, as they lost $85.5 million this quarter.

Before he arrived at WCBD, Peper was a sportscaster/news anchor at WCSC (5), for over 30 years, and he is a local icon, as he was born and raised in the Charleston area There is a huge backlash on Charleston.net and around the area, as this seems like it is the top story today.

Here is the article:

WCBD fires anchor Peper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 02:20 PM

4,343 posts, read 3,556,413 times
Unfortunately, that kind of thing has been happening in a number of markets around the country in recent months, and a lot of it because of our nation's economy. It's had a huge impact, and sometimes, stations have lost even their most popular people.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:50 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,762,288 times
Everyone is being affected by this failing economy...we may also be losing some very good teachers in the near future due to this, just because they have less seniority than others. I hope they make the news too.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:33 PM

186 posts, read 578,274 times
New York City's Mayor has just announced that the new budget will mean that NYC schools will lay off 15,000 teachers and support staff! We need every teacher we can get,not just in NY,everywhere! When will our leaders figure out that education is THE most important of our culture.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:36 PM

186 posts, read 578,274 times
New York City's Mayor has just announced that the new budget will mean that NYC schools will lay off 15,000 teachers and support staff! We need every teacher we can get,not just in NY,everywhere! When will our leaders figure out that education is THE most important service that we can provide our children with. I hate when teachers get laid off.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:41 PM

459 posts, read 1,642,054 times
My sister went to North Charleston High School with Warren. Apparently he was Mr Sports for that era. Definitely a local boy made good. I applauded WCBD for hiring him when WCSC let him go in a veiled attempt to hide their wishes to have more youthful faces on the air. In over 30 years as a public face Warren has never received bad press for so much as a traffic ticket. Good luck Warren.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:33 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,208,246 times
I have a feeling it was entirely related to clearing up as much salary as possible. I know of a couple of businesses that have been forced to let more prominant employees go just because that is where the $ are. I am sure he will land somewhere. If worse come to worse he could always be a spokesman for one of the local towns/companies. Vanessa Hill went to MUSC and Nina Sossoman (sp) to Benefits focuss, so I'm sure Warren will have similar opportunities.

Would be great if he did a type of 'best of the lowcountry' or historic sports show on PBS but I really doubt they have any money.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:05 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,680,009 times
I could not believe they let Warren go, I like him. Did they also let Carolyn Murray go? I haven't seen her in a couple of days.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:26 PM

890 posts, read 4,326,689 times
I was surprised when I saw this in the P&C this morning. He was in my opinion the most professional one out of all the news stations here.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:04 PM

73 posts, read 264,080 times
I don't understand why people are surprised that this has hit tv news. Nobody watches tv news like they used to, therefore the main anchors aren't enough to draw in viewers. TV stations get most of their revenue from advertising. Think about all the businesses that are no longer advertising, Johnny Suzuki, etc.
My guess is getting rid of Warren spared 3 people their job. At least Warren has the name recognition to get another job. I'm sure the behind the scenes photographer who lost his job didn't get a full page article in the P & C.
I remember a manager saying one time that we all choose our fate. Those who work hard will survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area