Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 05:57 PM

817 posts, read 2,004,031 times

Advertisements

Hi 'Paris',

Just a question please...
Why the interest in Daniels Island ?
As opposed to James Is. or Mt Pleasant.

Nothing wrong with your interest or commenting on it.. just curious as we will be headed to the Chas. area as well.

I will be driving down in June to look it all over.

I negatted D.I. as people tell me for my 300K-400K I would not get much.
I am not seeking an estate at all... but seeking more than a starter home in that area

I look at MP and JI offering us more ammenities wise when we need 'em and more choice of living locales.

Look over my posting and see what I mean and feel free to comment back please.

Great Luck in the search... let's see where we each wind up

Michael

Another Yankee (Brooklyn, NY) moving South to Charleston, with some questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 07:42 PM

7 posts, read 20,966 times
The first time we went to Charleston, we stumbled upon Daniel Island and it was love at first site. I liked the sense of community, the water, the paths, and the walkability of it all.

I wasn't sure of Rivertowne's location (just liked what I saw on the mls) so thank you for the comments noting its proximity to Park West.

I must admit I'm not very familiar with West Ashley or James Island but we'll probably be giving them a peak too.

Thanks everyone for their comments.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:39 AM

547 posts, read 1,196,610 times
We looked at a bunch of communities...Hibben, Ion, Dunes West, Rivertowne, Hamlin Plantation, Belle Hall, and Watermark. I've been in Real Estate for 10+ years now and DI is in my opinion has the perfect balance of shopping, amenities, housing, etc. I've ever seen. There is just a tremendous amount of stuff to do that is literally at your doorstep. For instance this weekend the Charleston Symphony Orchestra will be playing in the park right across the street from our house and they do a killer fireworks show at the end of the performance. So saturday we dont have to look at each other saying "what do you want to do? I dont know what do you want to do?" My wife and I both agree we would do a house 1/2 the size of the one we're in rather than move based on what we know now that we've been there for awhile. you can find some deals in the low/mid 400's on the island. i would do some research and just check it out one weekend. drive down to the Smythe Park section on a Saturday and you'll see what i mean.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:12 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
I will have to revisit Daniel Island and give it a closer look. I must say I COMPLETELY MISSED the WOW factor that so many others see in DI. When I was there it seemed almost sterile. I drove to the waterfront but there was no view because the overhanging branches from the trees were blocking it. I went over to the walking path and saw few people out walking but otherwise except for when I drove into an area past the high school where there were single family homes and saw a few people on bikes there were no signs of life. The large oaks of the older Charleston locales were virtually non-existent except for the perimeter of the Island and covering up the river views. Instead it seemed like a mass of brick buildings facing each other with a grassy quadrangle in the center -- almost like a college campus without a lot of trees.

Next time I will have to go over to the side where the park is. Maybe that is where I'll find the WOW factor I missed the first time I went.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:01 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Oh Daniel Island is a great community. It's not for me -- but it is a great community. I totally understand the attraction.

Rivertowne or Daniels Island -- if money is not an issue -- Daniels Island. Right now you can get more house for the money at Rivertowne but if you are choosing to be that far out anyways -- I'd go with Daniel Island. And I like both communities. Both have been on our radar.

Having said the last comment -- in 18 months of looking - many areas have been on our radar.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:36 AM

192 posts, read 560,258 times
Emily, it sounds like you were only on the main streets/retail area of the island and maybe the Etiwan Park neighborhood? There are at least 7 parks that I can think of just on the "town" side of the island, and lots of beautiful live oaks, too. Next time be sure to check out Center Park & Smythe Park neighborhoods (and take a peek at Island Park, too!)

There are some gorgeous river/marsh views as well...Pierce Park, among other prime viewing spots.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:08 AM

26 posts, read 88,719 times
I think you will find Rivertowne and Rivertowne on the Wando to be very different in terms of demographics. I think you will find Rivertowne on the Wando to have a greater proportion of young families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area