Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2009, 07:30 AM

108 posts, read 340,407 times

Advertisements

Our family had been thinking about a move to SC for 2 years now. We have been to Mt. P. and Daniel Island twice. Love IOP and Sullivans Is. Didn't like the thought of my 3 kids having to go all the way to Sullivans Is. to elementary school. It seems Sullivans Island might just be in our price range now and was wondering what the year round community is like. Also what is the reputation of the middle school? We were over whelmed by Mt. Pleasant, it just seems too big for us. We currently live in a smaller New England town where our kids walk to school and we can walk to a small downtown area. Any input/advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 10:02 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,020,096 times
Sullivan's Island is definitely one of the quieter residential communities year-round. It's much less commercial than IOP, but certainly very close to neighboring amenities, shopping and entertainment. The Sullivan's Island Elementary School actually received and "Excellent" rating for the 2008 school year. You can view the full report here (http://www.ed.sc.gov/topics/researchandstats/schoolreportcard/2008/Elementary/comprehensive/E1001086.pdf - broken link).

Old 08-20-2009, 10:09 AM

108 posts, read 340,407 times
Thanks!! Do you know anything about the middle school? I went on line and it said it was temp. moved. Do you know what that's about? Is there a good amount of year round families on SI? Or is it mostly vacationers?

Old 08-20-2009, 10:19 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,020,096 times
Most of the homes on Sullivan's were zoned for Laing Middle. There are a few that were sending children to Moultrie. Now that Moultrie has been rebuilt and is currently open for business at the new-old location, it would just be a quick check with the School District to confirm which would be housing the students from Sullivan's now. Laing and Moultrie both scored "Below Average" or "At Risk" for 2008's growth rating, which could be due to any number of factors. You can review the full reports here (http://www.ed.sc.gov/topics/researchandstats/schoolreportcard/2008/Middle/ - broken link), but given the overrall success Mt. pleasant schools have had, I'd put in-person tours and speaking with the faculty/administration over the actual report results.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:23 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
If you can afford to buy a home on Sullivan's Island you can afford to send you children to a good private school and not subject them to the Government indoctrination in a government school...

Sorry stepping off of the soap box now....

Old 08-20-2009, 04:42 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,777,461 times
I have not read the parameters/criteria for judging the 2008 "Growth Rating", but I wonder how relevant it might be with regards to the education one receives at a particular school. If you look at the 19 schools located in the Dorchester 2 school district, known for having good schools, you will see that one school scored a "good" growth rating, 8 schools scored "below average" and 10 schools scored "At Risk" including Summerville and Fort Dorchester High Schools. From my experience, observations and conversations with parents and students, I believe that a child can get an excellent education at almost any school in the Dorchester 2 school district and in Mt. Pleasant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJShymansky View Post
Most of the homes on Sullivan's were zoned for Laing Middle. There are a few that were sending children to Moultrie. Now that Moultrie has been rebuilt and is currently open for business at the new-old location, it would just be a quick check with the School District to confirm which would be housing the students from Sullivan's now. Laing and Moultrie both scored "Below Average" or "At Risk" for 2008's growth rating, which could be due to any number of factors. You can review the full reports here (http://www.ed.sc.gov/topics/researchandstats/schoolreportcard/2008/Middle/ - broken link), but given the overrall success Mt. pleasant schools have had, I'd put in-person tours and speaking with the faculty/administration over the actual report results.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:56 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,431,520 times
I know from personal experience that the elementary school is excellent. My Brother in Law went there. I'd avoid Laing if possible. How long until they are going to Laing? There are plans to rebuild the school at some point and I'd wait for that if possible.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:22 AM

19 posts, read 60,046 times
If it was in my budget and I could live anywhere in Charleston, I would live on Sullivan's Island. I know people whose kids go to that elementary school and they say it is excellent. There are quite many full time residents on Sullivan's, professionals like doctors, architects, but also people in creative arts and business owners live on that island. It is just minutes from downtown and Mt Pleasant shopping and you also have that little business district on the island with restaurants, gym, some services. Keep in mind that there may be some delays in travel when they really start working on the bridge if you need to commute to work on daily basis...it would be no issue to you if you worked from home like many people on the island do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area