Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 06:30 PM

9 posts, read 6,639 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am researching schools (middle and high only) and I see the schools in N. Charl rate badly. Is this the actual story? Because I'm confused about the park circle area. I read that it is a decent area to live but the schools aren't reflecting that! Help please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 07:34 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,031,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaoli View Post
Hi,
I am researching schools (middle and high only) and I see the schools in N. Charl rate badly. Is this the actual story? Because I'm confused about the park circle area. I read that it is a decent area to live but the schools aren't reflecting that! Help please!
It's accurate. If you want to be in North Charleston and have good schools, you need to find the areas that are Dorchester District 2.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:01 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,358,136 times
If you don't have kids, Park Circle is a good location.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:10 PM

2,315 posts, read 2,962,994 times
Summerville/Mt Pleasant have by far the best schools.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:00 AM

3,865 posts, read 4,603,265 times
Your best bet to gain internet insight into the schools are to listen to the non-Realtor opinions on forums like this and check out sites like http://www.greatschools.org/ and North Charleston Schools - Find a School in North Charleston, South Carolina - SchoolDigger.com.

Realtors are restricted by law from offering opinions on specific schools but I can say that there are highly rated schools on James Island, in West Ashley and Hanahan as well as the above-mentioned Dorchester 2 district and Mt Pleasant.

There are two schools in North Charleston that bear mentioning... The Charleston County School of the Arts and The Academic Magnet High School. Both of these schools have limited admission policies and aren't necessarily easy to get into but if you can get a child in, they would warrant serious consideration. They both have very good reputations.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:15 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,358,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
There are two schools in North Charleston that bear mentioning... The Charleston County School of the Arts and The Academic Magnet High School. Both of these schools have limited admission policies and aren't necessarily easy to get into but if you can get a child in, they would warrant serious consideration. They both have very good reputations.
These are county magnet schools and extremely difficult to get in. The arts school you need to declare your art genre (voice, dance, visual, music, etc) then turn in a portfolio and audition on top of having the right academics. Seats are determined by the number of students moving up in your selected genre.

You may apply and attend those schools from anywhere in Charleston County.

My daughter really wants to attend the Arts school so we've started work on her portfolio with an outside art teacher. She's in 4th grade so we've got about a year and a half. We've explained to her how hard it is to get in so should she not make it, Cario and Wando both have really good art programs.

I really would advise against assuming your child will attend one of these two schools; have a good fall back plan.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:17 AM

2,315 posts, read 2,962,994 times
Goose Creek high school has a decent art program i think, it's a BCA school anyway.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:06 PM

66 posts, read 102,083 times
Fort Dorchester High was a decent school when I attended back in the '90s. I think that might be a Dorchester District 2 school. I lived in Woodington, and attended Summerville schools before it was built. Our mailing address was actually Summerville for some time, even though we were technically in North Charleston. Again, that was 20 years ago now.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:00 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,758,164 times
North Charleston is split between school districts, depending on where one lives. Be aware of this when considering North Charleston and you have nippers in school. Also if no kids, the better school district has higher buy and resale prices so take this in consideration even if no nippers.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:58 PM

9 posts, read 6,639 times
Thank you so much for the info. We are looking in Hanahan now as we have a middle schooler and a high schooler. We were looking to rent but it's very slim pickings...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area