Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 05:45 PM

638 posts, read 1,594,972 times

Advertisements

We're looking at several different locations to retire in and when we find home plans we like with lots of windows and sunlight; unique, open, well laid out floor plans, real trees and private backyards, we're not quite as keen on the location; but it may become the "trump" card because no matter how much we tour, we still spend a lot of time in our home.

We prefer the Charleston area, but the floor plans we see on daily MLS always seem similar and not very innovative, with much higher prices.... Esp the Mt P area.

I see way too many syndicated home builders that like to build the same thing over and over for simply profit. And people buy them. I would love to volunteer my time with these builders and give them some more creative ideas from the female perspective.

Cookie cutter neighborhoods, with bumper to bumper houses are just not for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 05:55 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane55us View Post
We're looking at several different locations to retire in and when we find home plans we like with lots of windows and sunlight; unique, open, well laid out floor plans, real trees and private backyards, we're not quite as keen on the location; but it may become the "trump" card because no matter how much we tour, we still spend a lot of time in our home.

We prefer the Charleston area, but the floor plans we see on daily MLS always seem similar and not very innovative, with much higher prices.... Esp the Mt P area.

I see way too many syndicated home builders that like to build the same thing over and over for simply profit. And people buy them. I would love to volunteer my time with these builders and give them some more creative ideas from the female perspective.

Cookie cutter neighborhoods, with bumper to bumper houses are just not for me.

same could be argued for the old levittowns of the post world war 2 housing boom. unlike the rest of the country SC is and has been experiencing an explosion of housing and construction. i'm not a builder but i'm assuming with money to be made from such a high demand that creativity simply isn't in the profit margin.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:25 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
For a unique home you need to either look at a custom builder or an older home, most everything else is cookie cutter houses built in less than three months with no real flair....

Old 07-03-2012, 07:43 PM

52 posts, read 63,014 times
im not a big fan of cookie cutter homes either...but after having been inside of one last week in the charleston area - the inside is absolutely gorgeous on most of these newer homes being built.

for what its worth anyway =)

Old 07-03-2012, 07:46 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,296,502 times
MJ,
Do you have a question or are you looking for employment?
I read your post as a comment ... ?

Old 07-03-2012, 07:52 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,296,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coobs22 View Post
im not a big fan of cookie cutter homes either...but after having been inside of one last week in the charleston area - the inside is absolutely gorgeous on most of these newer homes being built.

for what its worth anyway =)
Hey C,
I'm curious where you found those "gorgeous" homes. Really, what looks good out there to you? We are settled, but I'm hooked on still looking! Ya never know ...

Old 07-03-2012, 08:19 PM

hanahan - in 2 different developments but i dont remember the name of them. I believe tanner plantation? Like i said, the outside was the typical track home look. The inside however was really awesome.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:11 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Nope cookie cutter effect doesn't bother me. I have lived in that kind of home and loved it and now live in a custom home and love it.

You haven't found what you are looking for. I know you have been looking for some time. It is difficult to find a compromise. Very few of us have exactly what we want, I would bet most of us have made some trade offs. Sometimes it's price, sometimes its size, or location and sometimes it is because of our spouse. Hang in-- you will know when it is the right place!

Old 07-03-2012, 09:14 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coobs22 View Post
hanahan - in 2 different developments but i dont remember the name of them. I believe tanner plantation? Like i said, the outside was the typical track home look. The inside however was really awesome.
The all look the same on the inside too, to me that isn't gorgeous it is boring....

Old 07-03-2012, 10:06 PM

gotcha. Well, im not used to newer homes so to me - it was gorgeous. But i suppose if everyone has the same layout inside and out - then the gorgeous factor comes down a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area