Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2010, 11:24 AM

16 posts, read 31,461 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
We are from Northern Virginia and are thinking about relocating to Old Village or Sullivans Island, or Isle of Palms. I have been reading everything I can but I need to ask someone with experience living there. All of our kids are under 7 so I really want to make sure the neighborhoods are safe. I can't really get a feel for the differences between the 3 areas. Can anyone help me a bit? I am excited and nervous all at the same time Thank you for your time.

Last edited by DC-7; 02-27-2010 at 12:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 12:19 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,297,076 times
First, define safe. Dope boys on any corners? Not in those areas. Strangers around? We call them tourists.
The islands are very safe -- Sullivans has more year round families. IOP has many more rentals by the week, so more people pass through. But both are beach destinations for the surrounding counties.
The Old Village is broken down into different neighborhoods & I'm comfortable walking through at any time. All are family oriented.The Old Village has some streets that are busier than others & are the main cut-throughs.
Other definitions of safe: do your homework online & you'll find the locations/map of registered sexual offenders. Good luck.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:29 PM

16 posts, read 31,461 times
Default Thank you

I realize coming from DC talking about an area being "safe" is funny.
I meant, can my kids ride their bike safely etc... Your post was
so helpful. I appreciate your time

Old 02-27-2010, 01:03 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,431,520 times
Very safe and great place to raise children. My husband and his brother grew up on Sullivans and IOP. the Old Village is very nice too and tons of younger families hang out at the park across from Alhambra Hall.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:31 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,020,096 times
I think the only concern you'd have in either area with regards to your kids riding their bikes around is the traffic and lack of sidewalks. That would be the extent of it. All are family friendly, it'll just depend on which feels "right" to you. IOP, Sullivan's and Old Village all have different feels to them, but are all fantastic areas. Coming from he DC area myself...I think you'll love all three.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:53 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,777,461 times
Having lived in the WDC area for 17 years, Alexandria and Springfield, Va. with the FBI I think you will find all three areas as comfortable as what you will find in Fairfax County, Va. In my opinion, the Isle of Palms is less of a true residential area than Sullivan's Island and the Old Village. To give you a little feel of the Old Village and Sullivan's Island here are two videos:

Sullivan's Island

Old Village

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-7 View Post
Hi there,
We are from Northern Virginia and are thinking about relocating to Old Village or Sullivans Island, or Isle of Palms. I have been reading everything I can but I need to ask someone with experience living there. All of our kids are under 7 so I really want to make sure the neighborhoods are safe. I can't really get a feel for the differences between the 3 areas. Can anyone help me a bit? I am excited and nervous all at the same time Thank you for your time.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:22 AM

11 posts, read 24,965 times
USCJoe: Great videos. BTW can retired FBI still carry their pistolas? I know up here almost all retired NYPD carry. For all I know, maybe in S.C. EVERYBODY carries!

Old 02-28-2010, 11:13 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,777,461 times
A retired agent does have authority to carry a firearm in any state in the country, including South Carolina, as long as they take a qualifying firearms test on an annual basis. I feel no need to do so here, as I feel completely comfortable in the Charleston area and travel little if any do to being involved in real estate on a continuous basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan33 View Post
USCJoe: Great videos. BTW can retired FBI still carry their pistolas? I know up here almost all retired NYPD carry. For all I know, maybe in S.C. EVERYBODY carries!

Old 02-28-2010, 01:53 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
Just as a side, yes SC is a shall issue state when it comes to concealed carry, so unless you are a felon or mental patient once you pass the class anyone can get a concealed carry permit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area