Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 03:31 PM

638 posts, read 1,598,613 times

Advertisements

I'm referring to Darrell Creek and Carolina Park, for example.

In many of the realtor sites you see the same old subdivisions posted. Ion, Park West, Sweetgrass, Seaside Farms, Belle Hall, Remley's Pt, Old Mt Pleasant, etc, etc.

Why is that? Is it because they're not fully developed? Are they in bankrupcy? Flood areas? Or just not popular areas. Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 07:41 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,481,470 times
my guess is because of distance? Darrell creek is a long drive to anywhere outside of that end of MtP...

it's kind of excluded and has had a problem with breakin's over the last year, I have a cpl of very good friends that live there... they also say the house values there have dropped in more than half, some more than that just to get someone to look...

Old 01-28-2010, 09:24 PM

817 posts, read 2,009,569 times
My own opinion... out of all the neighborhoods I visited during my trip to MP back in June and you can read it all on my posting.. I liked Darrell Creek the best. I really liked the space/land you can get... it all looked so nice. Took videos of all the neighborhoods I visited so my wife back home can see all I saw... and she agreed Darrel Creek looked the best for us. As I said.. this is just our opinion and likes.

BUT... my wife decided it is too far out... as Meks pointed out.
I knew it was further out... but worth it to me... but if you need to hop in your car to get somewhere.. it is a trip and can get tiring.

But on the plus side... there will be expansion to MP in that area outward.. along 17 and it will be closer to other shopping and people etc. Something to think about... but when......... who knows in this economy

The comment from Meks on break-ins... is a definite consideration to look elsewhere though

More comments on the above.. as I said.. check out my posting all about MP and my trip there.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:13 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,376,429 times
Where is Darrell Creek?

Old 01-29-2010, 06:19 AM

547 posts, read 1,200,288 times
Carolina Park is BK and has gone back to the bank. Bring supplies with you when going to Darrell Creek....its a drive

Old 01-29-2010, 06:24 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,443,307 times
I love Commonwealth and Darrell Creek it's like 5 minutes from Park West/Dunes West. Most properties much more land and privacy between homes. There is now a short cut/road that can take you from DC/Commonwealth to all the amenities in Park West. Also with oakland Plantation right here and the new Roper Hospital everything si at your finger tips. So yes it's a drive from Downtown but not really that bad.

Carolina Park is having issues and there is only a handful of homes done. I haven't driven through the neighborhood lately but it will be a while before anything is there. They are still going through with some plans that the city is doing but not much there. A great neighborhood to run/ride bikes..etc. Roads and sidewalks are complete.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:27 PM

45,675 posts, read 24,126,105 times
Darrell Creek is very pretty but it is far out there. Darrell Creek is up in the corner behind Dunes West/Park West, etc. It's gorgeous. I bet you could find some gorgeous lots at some more reasonable prices these days. It's just so far -- it would take a bit of time to just get to 17...then you have to travel 17....

Old 01-29-2010, 04:18 PM

638 posts, read 1,598,613 times
Thanks for all the interesting input about these two subdivisions. A builder we're in contact with mentioned that these two areas are mostly in flood zones also. I'm wondering if that makes them less desireable with the increase in insurance.

When I was exploring, I didn't mind the distance as far out as Chandler Rd into Mt Pleasant, but when I drove into Darrell Creek and Carolina Park, it seemed like I drove forever on an isolated curvy road for miles with nothing developed, so I turned around and gave up on both of them.

I'm especially am encouraged by Michael NYC.. your insightful comments on D/Creek and how much you liked it. I will have to go back and check out your posting. Also, was it Meks comment about the break-ins? That does make sense when you are isolated in a new area. Privacy does comes with it's drawbacks.

But I was also encouraged by other comments about the beauty of those areas. I've only seen Google map photos so it's hard to tell as you don't know when these were taken.

I had noticed realistic price cuts in the properties in both those areas, and the Rivertowne subdivision, Planter's Pt, even some of the newer, more distant sections of Park West which was why I was curious and wondering what the reasoning was.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:26 AM

40 posts, read 107,086 times
We lived in Darrell Creek for a year when we moved back to the area. We loved it, but the commute was a hike. Quiet, good neighbors, and lots of adventurous things for the kids to do. We bought 2 kayaks some crab pots and messed around on the creek. The wildlife is amazing. You will see deer, and every sort of wildlife birds (including bald eagles!). Oh and the sunset over the creek is amazing!

Good luck in your search. We own a lot on Darrell Creek and hope to build on it someday.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:40 AM

817 posts, read 2,009,569 times
Hi Brian,

Your comments right on the money from what I saw when I visited back in June. Looked great.. the lot size, housing types, close to neighbors... but enough space in your own area.

But yes a hike
Shopping can be had at Park West.. I heard there is a short cut road or will be one. But commute wise and going anywhere west on 17 might make you think twice.

Not certain where I will be working when I move there... of course I will know beforehand.. but all subject to change.
I might work downtown Chas. might work Summerville area, No. Chas or lucky possibly in MP. I would suck it up and drive it... I work 3 maybe 4 days a week... so not the normal 5 day commute and I come home 8,9pm so no traffic back.. but a drive still.. and might pass other neighborhoods and whisper to myself... hmmm... might have been a better choice.

But Darrell Creek has its attraction and with the one day expansion out 17 east... might have nice down the road better potential, though get in now.

Wow Brian,,, you can get that close to an eagle to see it is bald.. THAT is close.. (ok some humor I tried to instill

We will be concentrating on
Park West
Rivertowne
Alston Point
possibly Snee Farms. newer section
Darrell Creek and anything else that might pop up in our further search

Will be coming down again in March... wife and son this time

Michael
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area