Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 05:21 AM

6,080 posts, read 9,110,796 times

Advertisements

Town Center begins 2012 with a record start* - Business - Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports -

more great news!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 10:05 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,815 times
I was in the mall this weekend and it was packed with young families. I'm sure Disney on Ice was the main reason, but it was nice to see.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:36 PM

I was there on Saturday around 3 and that place was a mad house!

The new stores there are adding will be very upscale and will help set the mall apert from the average suburban mall. Coach, White House Black Market, Sophia's, and Francesca's Collections which are all upscale women's stores which I most likely will not be visiting, but it will make the the ladies happy LOL

Remodeling will be a huge plus for the mall. It isn't really all that bad looking, as the individual stores constantly update, but the brick floors and the pink stripes need an upgrade. With the Civic Canter getting a makeover in the near future and the new Courtyard hotel, the addition of a revamed urban mall will make this part of downtown very attractive. And plus we might see some new office buildings in this part of town. Charleston is going to change rapidly in the next few years.

Last edited by Chriscross309; 02-27-2012 at 04:05 PM..

Old 03-01-2012, 08:48 PM

939 posts, read 1,893,419 times
Odd, I had been under the impression that the Town Center had been struggling due to Corridor G and Barboursville. When I was a kid (90s), I used to love the place, but it certainly sort of feels run down now. Getting rid of the 3 story waterfall didn't help. While I understand getting rid of the Arcade in the food court (no where has them anymore), why would you replace it with a non-retail business that just turned it into offices?

Old 03-01-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
Odd, I had been under the impression that the Town Center had been struggling due to Corridor G and Barboursville. When I was a kid (90s), I used to love the place, but it certainly sort of feels run down now. Getting rid of the 3 story waterfall didn't help. While I understand getting rid of the Arcade in the food court (no where has them anymore), why would you replace it with a non-retail business that just turned it into offices?
The mall is doing really well, and in fact is probably running a the same level it was before Corridor G. The offices upstairs I would agree on. They eliminated a whole section of restaurants, but that was a while back. There has been 3 new restaurants open in the past year, Panera Bread, Fiver Guys, and (coming soon) Qdoba.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:21 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,815 times
Quote:
Like Chris said, the mall has changed and appeals to a different demographic than it needed to before.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:50 AM

I've had a pretty good idea for the mall that would be really cool and modern and I wanted to here some input from you all. Since Brickstreet took over the fourth anchor store and blocked off its mall entrance, that corner of the mall has felt very empty. There is a big plasterd wall that covers up both the first and second floor enterances into the old store and the small plaza in front of it is outdated. I think that a large TV screen (1st floor) and a small amount of theater seating would be a unique way to modernize and revamp that space. It would be almost like a free movie theater, but it could be used for community events and special showings.
Kind of like the Cisco screens that they put up in various cities that are two way cameras in some ways.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:04 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,295 times
Quote:
The waterfall is gone!?!?!

Old 03-02-2012, 12:10 PM

282 posts, read 484,997 times
Quote:
I was thinking the exact same thing. I remember the mall how it used to be when they had the waterfall and restaurants all the way around the food court. The food court would be packed. The mall was a real destination place and sort of saved downtown Charleston back in the 80s when it opened. When Kaufman's & Bennigan's went out, that didn't help either.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route50guy View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing. I remember the mall how it used to be when they had the waterfall and restaurants all the way around the food court. The food court would be packed. The mall was a real destination place and sort of saved downtown Charleston back in the 80s when it opened. When Kaufman's & Bennigan's went out, that didn't help either.
Macey's bought out Kaufmans so that was actually a positive for the mall. Bennigan's had a terrible rat problem, which led to its closing. Now that the space has been cleaned up, Panera Bread has moved in.

The Town center is bursting right now, and it is becoming more upscale than before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston