Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 04:09 PM

583 posts, read 594,193 times

Advertisements

What's going on with the old Texas Steakhouse beside of Chipotle? I see that they paved the lot around it. Red Robin? Bojangles? Cookout? Booms 2? Used Car Lot? Jerky-Yogurt-Cell-Phone-Video-Lotto palace? Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 05:30 AM

6,078 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
What's going on with the old Texas Steakhouse beside of Chipotle? I see that they paved the lot around it. Red Robin? Bojangles? Cookout? Booms 2? Used Car Lot? Jerky-Yogurt-Cell-Phone-Video-Lotto palace? Any ideas?
I have no clue.

That would be a great location for just about anything, but I personally like the idea of another restaurant that we don't already have. I like your suggestions, and would add Panda Express, Texas Roadhouse, priminti brothers, cheddars, or PF Changs. or even better yet demolishing the building and building a Starbucks with a drive thru.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:20 AM

778 posts, read 796,033 times
While I have no source confirming what might go into the location, I do recall Cheddars wanting to come into the Charleston market a year ago when the old Shoney's was demolished in Saint Albans. They were obviously outbid for the site and Wendy's relocated from the what-were-they-thinking site in Jefferson across from the adult book store and arcade, which closed as soon as the new location opened.

The other chain I know that was interested was Fat Patties, but the folks in Teays Valley say the company was never interested in Saint Albans but has been looking for the right spot on the corridor.

Another contact said it was Ruby Tuesday, but they have been shutting stores and I would question if they would open such a location while trimming down elsewhere.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:28 AM

Fat Patties would make the most sense, but Cheddars would be a better option IMO.

I'm just excited about Chipotle at this point.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:21 AM

583 posts, read 594,193 times
Default No Cheddars No PF Changs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
While I have no source confirming what might go into the location, I do recall Cheddars wanting to come into the Charleston market a year ago when the old Shoney's was demolished in Saint Albans. They were obviously outbid for the site and Wendy's relocated from the what-were-they-thinking site in Jefferson across from the adult book store and arcade, which closed as soon as the new location opened.

The other chain I know that was interested was Fat Patties, but the folks in Teays Valley say the company was never interested in Saint Albans but has been looking for the right spot on the corridor.

Another contact said it was Ruby Tuesday, but they have been shutting stores and I would question if they would open such a location while trimming down elsewhere.

About PF Changs...they were one of the tenants that wanted to go into the development across from Chipotle that the DOH and good ole boy connections blocked. I'd say that ship has sailed. How dare private money from out-of-state come in and try to build something. Got to protect the local millionaires as much as possible.

Cheddars is interesting too. I've actually talked to those folks. They looked at Southridge locations. Even in this economy in this state apparently the folks up there believe that they are sitting on a goldmine and the cost for Cheddars is prohibitive to come in because of it.

It just seems odd to me that the lot around Texas was paved with the building still standing. Most chain restaurants will tear down and start over. That makes for a mess and I don't see why a lot would be paved before demolition. Makes me think that the only thing that might happen is some home grown outfit might be trying to go in and based on past history those places don't last too long.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
About PF Changs...they were one of the tenants that wanted to go into the development across from Chipotle that the DOH and good ole boy connections blocked. I'd say that ship has sailed. How dare private money from out-of-state come in and try to build something. Got to protect the local millionaires as much as possible.

Cheddars is interesting too. I've actually talked to those folks. They looked at Southridge locations. Even in this economy in this state apparently the folks up there believe that they are sitting on a goldmine and the cost for Cheddars is prohibitive to come in because of it.

It just seems odd to me that the lot around Texas was paved with the building still standing. Most chain restaurants will tear down and start over. That makes for a mess and I don't see why a lot would be paved before demolition. Makes me think that the only thing that might happen is some home grown outfit might be trying to go in and based on past history those places don't last too long.
I agree, but paving a lot when someone plans to go in and do a very basic makeover and set up something low key is probably in the works. The parking lot was cut in half form the original size when they sold it off to build Chipotle. It is probably too small for anything else the likes of Cheddars , which has very large peak crowds through their doors.

The one outlet I would like to see on the Corridor is Cheesecake Factory but it is not the right mix out there for it. The corridor for all of its centralized shopping is too Walmart-ie for a chain like Cheesecake Factory, which seems to go into high end centers.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:23 PM

What we need is some new commercial/retail development near an interstate. I was always find of the proposed shopping center that was slated for the fly ash pond in South Charleston that FMC owned. That plan called for a shopping center with 5-6 mid-sized anchors and several out parcel lots for restaurants. If that would have happened, Charleston would have a much better variety of shopping and dinning because they were going to bring in things like Barns and Noble and have a more town center type feel! I think that Charleston should be looking for opportunities to develop more space for future developments.

I really believe if Cheddars wants to locate here, they will find a way to make it happen. I doubt PF Changs will come unless they go to the mall in the event more dining space becomes available.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
What we need is some new commercial/retail development near an interstate. I was always find of the proposed shopping center that was slated for the fly ash pond in South Charleston that FMC owned. That plan called for a shopping center with 5-6 mid-sized anchors and several out parcel lots for restaurants. If that would have happened, Charleston would have a much better variety of shopping and dinning because they were going to bring in things like Barns and Noble and have a more town center type feel! I think that Charleston should be looking for opportunities to develop more space for future developments.

I really believe if Cheddars wants to locate here, they will find a way to make it happen. I doubt PF Changs will come unless they go to the mall in the event more dining space becomes available.
At one time, way back when the city of South Charleston was talking about building the Chemical City Mall (what were they thinking with that name?) they were going to take out the idle stamping plant and the ash pond to build the new mall.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
At one time, way back when the city of South Charleston was talking about building the Chemical City Mall (what were they thinking with that name?) they were going to take out the idle stamping plant and the ash pond to build the new mall.
Glad to see they opted out of that plan. Losing the stamping plant would have been a huge loss!

Old 10-14-2015, 04:25 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,150,707 times
Let's hope its not Fat Patty's. They've always been over rated. I think Cheddar's would work because they fit the demographics and the same for Red Robin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston