Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 09:36 PM

583 posts, read 594,590 times

Advertisements

I mentioned this in an another thread but 9 months into this I think it deserves it's own.

So you've got a shopping center that employed 500 people and had maybe 20 to 30 businesses in it and the bridge leading to it washes away so it is just sitting there inaccessible and we can't get a bridge built almost a year later? Sounds like something that would happen in Venezuela.

How many people lost their homes or defaulted on loans because they lost their income because they lost their jobs?

I'm not a big government person but I can't understand why something couldn't have been worked out where the county and state step in and get the thing built to put these folks back to work and get the b&o revenue and other taxes going. Why couldn't they add in a special 1 or 2 % tax to the sales of the mall or allocate the full amount of the current tax revenue at the mall to pay for the bridge cost and then work out something with the present or future owner to recoup the construction costs?

I know that there is a lot of legal wrangling taking place but it's 2017. This is right off the interstate. It's 10 minutes from the state capital. And it is embarrassing. It's almost water crisis level embarrassing that we are this inept of a state that in one of the cases where government really needs to step in and be overbearing that it cannot do it. 60 Minutes or some major news expose program needs to come in and do a story but of course it would be another black-eye for the region.

This is where we are at folks. Many of us dream including myself of seeing new businesses come in but at the end of the day we can't get a bridge built to service some existing ones that are sitting there empty and/or closed because no one can get to them.

The supposed cost of the bridge was estimated to be $1 million. Let's say they get $20 million in sales(a guess not really sure) there a year. 6% of that is $1,200,000 million. There's your bridge.

Work out the legal stuff later. Put these people back to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 08:02 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,616,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
I mentioned this in an another thread but 9 months into this I think it deserves it's own.

So you've got a shopping center that employed 500 people and had maybe 20 to 30 businesses in it and the bridge leading to it washes away so it is just sitting there inaccessible and we can't get a bridge built almost a year later? Sounds like something that would happen in Venezuela.

How many people lost their homes or defaulted on loans because they lost their income because they lost their jobs?

I'm not a big government person but I can't understand why something couldn't have been worked out where the county and state step in and get the thing built to put these folks back to work and get the b&o revenue and other taxes going. Why couldn't they add in a special 1 or 2 % tax to the sales of the mall or allocate the full amount of the current tax revenue at the mall to pay for the bridge cost and then work out something with the present or future owner to recoup the construction costs?

I know that there is a lot of legal wrangling taking place but it's 2017. This is right off the interstate. It's 10 minutes from the state capital. And it is embarrassing. It's almost water crisis level embarrassing that we are this inept of a state that in one of the cases where government really needs to step in and be overbearing that it cannot do it. 60 Minutes or some major news expose program needs to come in and do a story but of course it would be another black-eye for the region.

This is where we are at folks. Many of us dream including myself of seeing new businesses come in but at the end of the day we can't get a bridge built to service some existing ones that are sitting there empty and/or closed because no one can get to them.

The supposed cost of the bridge was estimated to be $1 million. Let's say they get $20 million in sales(a guess not really sure) there a year. 6% of that is $1,200,000 million. There's your bridge.

Work out the legal stuff later. Put these people back to work.
I've been following this via the local Charleston papers and also discussions with family members- my understanding is that the state government cannot currently get involved in the building process as a result of the open bankruptcy case filed by the property owner/developer at the last minute. I think it shows the serious shortcomings of our legal system (and there are many) more than anything else. I wonder if imminent domain can be utilized in such extreme circumstances? Although I'm sure the developer would file a lawsuit over that as well. it is indeed sad to drive by there and see the 'CLOSED' signs on almost every single retail outlet listed at the Elkview exit off 79.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:45 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,228,930 times
You'd think the state could put up one of those temporary steel bridges and then just put a lean on the property for the cost to temporarily put up the bridge.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:51 AM

6,080 posts, read 9,110,796 times
Having grown up on the Elk River and having utilized that shopping center my whole life, I think I can honesty say that the lack of progress is criminal. Like stated above, this is a loss of hundreds of jobs, millions in lost revenue, and unknown future problems for the area in terms of economic development. Elkview was before the flood growing. The county should have forked up the funds from the getgo!

Old 04-05-2017, 07:01 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
You'd think the state could put up one of those temporary steel bridges and then just put a lean on the property for the cost to temporarily put up the bridge.
That makes perfect sense. It is private property, and as we have seen state government often won't even do what it needs to do with public property, but putting a lien on the private property to assure that the owner pays for what happens is a logical solution.

Actually, I'm surprised the owner didn't buy one of those things and install it. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:50 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,616,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
That makes perfect sense. It is private property, and as we have seen state government often won't even do what it needs to do with public property, but putting a lien on the private property to assure that the owner pays for what happens is a logical solution.

Actually, I'm surprised the owner didn't buy one of those things and install it. Seems like a no brainer to me.
From what I've read, the owners finances seem shaky..one of their proposals was to pay for the bridge and then charge concessions from tenants who have been out of operation for 9 plus months! That's about as sketchy as it gets. I don't want to speculate about their finances in general but if the current circus act they are performing is any indication...the picture is rather bleak. Of course there is always money for frivolous litigation and the attorney fees that come with it!

Old 04-05-2017, 08:09 PM

456 posts, read 603,175 times
he owns several shopping centers in West Virginia including Summersville and Elkins. the hotels he owns are on a cash only basis with vendors because he doesn't pay his bills. he is old and his family I think is running things and not to well. the best thing that could happen is he would sell to someone. at this point half the businesses have already said they weren't coming back. he probably owns the hotel since he owns the ones in other shopping centers he owns. the center is going to need some money put into it to come back anytime soon. it shouldn't matter who's fault it is but the state should have been able to replace and recoup their money when everything is litigated out. I would assume all the businesses would be suing also. its a mess!!!!

Old 04-06-2017, 02:29 AM

146 posts, read 166,655 times
If this bridge were in Iraq or somewhere strategic, our military would have spanned that expanse in about 15 minutes. This is America! Where is the National Guard??? This is bordering on criminal

Old 04-06-2017, 07:24 PM

652 posts, read 750,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRWMSPPGH View Post
If this bridge were in Iraq or somewhere strategic, our military would have spanned that expanse in about 15 minutes. This is America! Where is the National Guard??? This is bordering on criminal
Let's pump the brakes, there aren't human lives at stake here.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:42 PM

6,080 posts, read 9,110,796 times
Charleston Gazette-Mail | Judge OKs plan to finance Crossings Mall bridge construction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston