Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2008, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 20,134 times

Advertisements

[FONT=Verdana]I'm about to move out for the first time soon and I'm wondering how much I can expect to pay a month for utilities. The place I'm looking at is about 600 square feet on the West Side of Charleston. I think the landlord is paying for trash and nothing else. Can anyone give me a rough estimate on what I'm looking at?[/FONT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 03:42 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Heat: Lot of variables there - Gas or electric heat? I don't know about gas cost but electric, if place is decently insulated and of course, depends on warm you keep it, will vary from month to month depending on how cold it is outside, etc, my guess would be any where from $50-$100 per month. All electric house about 2500 sq ft throughout the year runs from $60 - occassionally $250 in an extremely cold month.

Water & sewer - roughly $25 mo for each

Garbage - Putnam Co is almost $20 per mo, not sure how Kanawha Co works (You may buy tags or bags. In Putnam we have a garbage can issued by the company and a flat monthly charge).

Cable - With internet and many many bells and whistles (movie channels, extra sports channels, etc) is $135 per mo. See for prices Suddenlink Cable Television High Speed Internet Phone

Phone - Verizon. With unlimited long distance etc is about $55 per mo, can get cheaper plans, can also get Internet through Verizon (DSL). Verizon | Residential & Business High Speed Internet/Broadband (DSL), Fiber-Optic and Satellite TV (FiOS and DIRECTV), Phone Plans, Bundles and Wireless

Hmmm, what utilities am I forgetting?
Single person and small place will surely have less expensive utilities than I have listed.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:48 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
-city of charleston combines sewer, fire, and trash.
-water is separate and 1200ish gallons is about $22 month. fees are in block rates, not per gallon
-gas is mountaineer gas and last I checked the rate is $14.95 MCU. Minimum charge of 6.50 for admin account even if you didn't use it that month.
-electric was 7 cents kwh and like vec mentioned depending on which form of heat & how you use it will be a big factor in cost differences. Another big factor is how well insulated the apartment is or isn't.

-when I asked a neighbor with an apartment he said it was cheaper for him to heat with electric than gas. He shut off his gas and uses strategically placed oil filled electric heaters (looks like mini radiators on wheels)
-Years ago I wound up getting an electric mattress warmer for $40 to keep the peace between me & landlord covering all utilities. Worked well for both of us, comfort for me was at lowest setting but some can't take it at all. Found it at linens n things but I'm not sure if they're still in biz. google it- Sunbeam brand I believe I saw them in JC Penney online.
Good luck.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:02 PM

Verizon is offering a deal for cable TV, Internet, and Phone for $79.99 per mo for one year

Old 12-03-2008, 09:59 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Oh that is a good deal. Suddenlink is about $100 per month for same package but the service hasn't been very reliable. Thanks for the tip vec.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Oh that is a good deal. Suddenlink is about $100 per month for same package but the service hasn't been very reliable. Thanks for the tip vec.
You're welcome.
Personally, I'm so used to my cable internet that I wouldn't switch over. But yes, it sure can be tempermental at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
View detailed profiles of: