Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 09:08 PM

16 posts, read 59,280 times

Advertisements

Hello all, new poster here, but have been lurking for awhile.

My fiance and I are moving to Charlotte in August from the cold and white tundra of Buffalo, NY. No, we are not just moving to the area because of the weather and low taxes. Her entire family now lives in the Charlotte area (Indian Trail, Gastonia, and Fort Mill), and I recently was hired for a new job with the Air National Guard.

With that being said, we are apartment hunting. I have been to the area 5 or 6 times this year for work related stuff but haven't had much of a chance to look around for apartments. We did view one place though, Mission Matthews Place in Matthews (although, it seemed more like Charlotte than Matthews) and their model was very nice. However, I did some looking online at reviews and the place has received atrocious reviews concerning rude staff, horrible maintenance turn around times, parking, and crime. Although Buffalo is no pearl, we would like to find a relatively decent place to live at an affordable price.

We are looking for a 2 bedroom apartment around or under $700. This might be a stretch, but I have found some decent places (at least appearing that way) online. We do have a small 10lb Jack Russell that is coming along too, so pets are a must. I also need a 1 car garage for my tools, scooters, and classic Mini. It appears most apartments have garage rentals on sight. If I have to fudge a little on the price because of the garage, I'm willing to do so but this stuff can't sit outside for the taking.

Where do we want to live? We are flexible. I'm willing to drive 30-40 minutes to work one way for the right place. Any recommendations?

Thanks so much!
Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 09:18 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanLikesVespas View Post
Hello all, new poster here, but have been lurking for awhile.

My fiance and I are moving to Charlotte in August from the cold and white tundra of Buffalo, NY. No, we are not just moving to the area because of the weather and low taxes. Her entire family now lives in the Charlotte area (Indian Trail, Gastonia, and Fort Mill), and I recently was hired for a new job with the Air National Guard.

With that being said, we are apartment hunting. I have been to the area 5 or 6 times this year for work related stuff but haven't had much of a chance to look around for apartments. We did view one place though, Mission Matthews Place in Matthews (although, it seemed more like Charlotte than Matthews) and their model was very nice. However, I did some looking online at reviews and the place has received atrocious reviews concerning rude staff, horrible maintenance turn around times, parking, and crime. Although Buffalo is no pearl, we would like to find a relatively decent place to live at an affordable price.

We are looking for a 2 bedroom apartment around or under $700. This might be a stretch, but I have found some decent places (at least appearing that way) online. We do have a small 10lb Jack Russell that is coming along too, so pets are a must. I also need a 1 car garage for my tools, scooters, and classic Mini. It appears most apartments have garage rentals on sight. If I have to fudge a little on the price because of the garage, I'm willing to do so but this stuff can't sit outside for the taking.

Where do we want to live? We are flexible. I'm willing to drive 30-40 minutes to work one way for the right place. Any recommendations?

Thanks so much!
Ryan
Ryan a 2 bedroom WITH a garage for under $700 isn't very likely.

If you do find some online that interest you please be sure to come back and ask what we know about them - chances are they wouldn't be in good areas. There are many nice complexes in and around Charlotte - but again, look to spend closer to $900 with a garage, at the least.

I would suggest south Charlotte, Ballantyne, Huntersville, Matthews or Mallard Creek - just to name a few locations

(Marquis of Carmel Valley, Camden Dilworth, Promenade Park, Highlands at Alexander Point)

Old 06-21-2010, 09:31 PM

Ok ok, maybe I was dreaming. There wasn't many I came across in that price range. The Mission Matthews Place has a 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment for $600, and they charge something like $60 for a garage. Just worried about the reviews, granted, most of them were a year or two old and maybe they got their act together?

Would love to live in the Ballantyne area, just seems pretty high end? Matthews, NC at least appears to be nice, clean, safe and close to her brother in Indian Trail/Monroe.

I'll keep an eye out and keep searching. Might just have to dig a little deeper in my pockets. Any one else with suggestions of particular complexes?

Old 06-21-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Ok ok, maybe I was dreaming. There wasn't many I came across in that price range. The Mission Matthews Place has a 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment for $600, and they charge something like $60 for a garage. Just worried about the reviews, granted, most of them were a year or two old and maybe they got their act together?

Would love to live in the Ballantyne area, just seems pretty high end? Matthews, NC at least appears to be nice, clean, safe and close to her brother in Indian Trail/Monroe.

I'll keep an eye out and keep searching. Might just have to dig a little deeper in my pockets. Any one else with suggestions of particular complexes?

You do not want to live at Mission Matthews

Matthews itself IS a great little city, though it's more a bedroom community of Charlotte's these days.

But the thing is, Mission Matthews is BARELY in Matthews, it's right on Charlotte's edge. And that particular edge is just not very desirable. For one thing, it's right along VERY BUSY Independence Blvd - loud, busy, congested. And there are issues with crime.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You do not want to live at Mission Matthews

Matthews itself IS a great little city, though it's more a bedroom community of Charlotte's these days.

But the thing is, Mission Matthews is BARELY in Matthews, it's right on Charlotte's edge. And that particular edge is just not very desirable. For one thing, it's right along VERY BUSY Independence Blvd - loud, busy, congested. And there are issues with crime.
Thanks for the headsup. Will definitely steer clear of Mission Matthews.

I started looking through craigslist and theres a surprising number of houses/townhouses that are $800 or less with garages, yards, etc and this might be a better route to go.

I did email one potential landlord of a property and he wants me to fill out some "soft credit" inquiry through a website called http://cfrreport.com/ I've never heard of the website and just want to make sure I'm not sending my identity/credit card information off to Nigeria for the taking. He claims it is to ensure that we have no evictions. Plus this website wants me to "set up a free trial" and if I don't cancel within 30 days, they charge my card. I know how these sorts of places work... you could call everyday and cancel it and in 30 days, you will be charged and they claim you never called. Anyone ever heard of this site?

Thanks! -Ryan

Old 06-22-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the headsup. Will definitely steer clear of Mission Matthews.

I started looking through craigslist and theres a surprising number of houses/townhouses that are $800 or less with garages, yards, etc and this might be a better route to go.

I did email one potential landlord of a property and he wants me to fill out some "soft credit" inquiry through a website called http://cfrreport.com/ I've never heard of the website and just want to make sure I'm not sending my identity/credit card information off to Nigeria for the taking. He claims it is to ensure that we have no evictions. Plus this website wants me to "set up a free trial" and if I don't cancel within 30 days, they charge my card. I know how these sorts of places work... you could call everyday and cancel it and in 30 days, you will be charged and they claim you never called. Anyone ever heard of this site?

Thanks! -Ryan
Ryan, be careful, there are many scams on Craigs List! I would NOT give that guy your credit info.

Here's another reality check - any house you actually find to rent under $1000 in Charlotte is going to be in a less desirable area. Now, sure, you can find one that looks great for $800-$900 but chances of it being in a really great, desirable area are not real high. So do come back with any addresses you find and check them out with us here, okay?

Old 06-22-2010, 07:37 AM

445 posts, read 1,166,915 times
I think you could find some decent places for around 800-900 dollars. There are lots of vacant rentals right now, so try asking for a discount. It never hurts to ask.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Ryan, be careful, there are many scams on Craigs List! I would NOT give that guy your credit info.

Here's another reality check - any house you actually find to rent under $1000 in Charlotte is going to be in a less desirable area. Now, sure, you can find one that looks great for $800-$900 but chances of it being in a really great, desirable area are not real high. So do come back with any addresses you find and check them out with us here, okay?
Will do, there are tons of scammers on craigslist. $1000 a month is digging pretty deep. My fiance's sister lives in Gastonia and it seems like a nice area, fairly quiet, etc. I'm not opposed to living in the burbs for more reasonable prices. And if it comes down to it, and I can't find an apartment with garage access, I'm sure I can find a storage unit within a few miles at a reasonable price. Once I get some addresses, I'll post em up. Thanks so much!

Old 06-22-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinajean View Post
I think you could find some decent places for around 800-900 dollars. There are lots of vacant rentals right now, so try asking for a discount. It never hurts to ask.
Good thinking. Would apartment complexes really budge much since they are "always running specials"? Or is that more of a person renting a house sort of thing? I am in the military and my fiance just finished her degree in education and is looking for teaching jobs so I don't know if some places offer discounts for military/teachers?

Old 06-22-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Will do, there are tons of scammers on craigslist. $1000 a month is digging pretty deep. My fiance's sister lives in Gastonia and it seems like a nice area, fairly quiet, etc. I'm not opposed to living in the burbs for more reasonable prices. And if it comes down to it, and I can't find an apartment with garage access, I'm sure I can find a storage unit within a few miles at a reasonable price. Once I get some addresses, I'll post em up. Thanks so much!
Well now, Gastonia is a whole other city - not a suburb of Charlotte.

And yes, you would find rental homes a little bit cheaper there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte