Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2011, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,324 times

Advertisements

Hi I just got a job at the hospital in Gastonia and will be moving to live in Charlotte next month. I want to live more towards the west (closer to gastonia) but still in the city ( single and in my mid 20s) looking for a condo/townhouse? any suggestions on what areas of charlotte to search for a place in? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 05:46 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,021,045 times
In case it makes any difference to you, Gaston County will have cheaper taxes.

Areas of Steele Creek might be a good fit. Easy commute to Gastonia, there are some neighborhoods with younger people. You also have Ayrsley town center right there.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:57 PM

222 posts, read 550,306 times
I am in a similar situation except I work near Carowinds. Basically you have three options as a young, single person.

1) Live close to your work. It won't be near a lot of other young singles out in Gastonia, but you'll pay less in rent, have less of a commute, and you can spend evenings and weekends hanging out where all the young singles live and meeting people that way.

2) Live where the other young singles live. This means basically Uptown, Dilworth, South End, or NoDa. You're going to end up paying a lot in rent if you want to live in these parts of town, but if you plan on being really social it might be what you're looking for. Also your commute to work will be longer.

3) Find a cheap apartment/townhouse/condo or whatever and just deal with the commute. There are lots of cheap condos for rent all over Charlotte because the owners don't want to sell. The only problem is that you might end up living far from work and from your social scene.

So it depends what's important to you. You can live close to work, close to other singles, or on the cheap, but probably not all three of those. The problem is that Charlotte is spread out in such a way that makes the neighborhood that you're looking for tough to find.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:10 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG721 View Post
I am in a similar situation except I work near Carowinds. Basically you have three options as a young, single person.

1) Live close to your work. It won't be near a lot of other young singles out in Gastonia, but you'll pay less in rent, have less of a commute, and you can spend evenings and weekends hanging out where all the young singles live and meeting people that way.

2) Live where the other young singles live. This means basically Uptown, Dilworth, South End, or NoDa. You're going to end up paying a lot in rent if you want to live in these parts of town, but if you plan on being really social it might be what you're looking for. Also your commute to work will be longer.

3) Find a cheap apartment/townhouse/condo or whatever and just deal with the commute. There are lots of cheap condos for rent all over Charlotte because the owners don't want to sell. The only problem is that you might end up living far from work and from your social scene.

So it depends what's important to you. You can live close to work, close to other singles, or on the cheap, but probably not all three of those. The problem is that Charlotte is spread out in such a way that makes the neighborhood that you're looking for tough to find.
You got this pearl of wisdom from where??????? How far out do you think that Gastonia is? The OP could live near work & easily drive to Uptown at night, for entertainment, if he or she wants to.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:17 PM

222 posts, read 550,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
How far out do you think that Gastonia is? The OP could live near work & easily drive to Uptown at night, for entertainment, if he or she wants to.
That's pretty much what I said. But I got the impression that the OP, like many young single people, wants to be able to walk out of his/her door and find the neighborhood crawling with hot, young singles in their 20s. I doubt that's going to happen in Gastonia.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
That's pretty much what I said. But I got the impression that the OP, like many young single people, wants to be able to walk out of his/her door and find the neighborhood crawling with hot, young singles in their 20s. I doubt that's going to happen in Gastonia.
This was posted by another poster who is in his 20s. Moved to Gastonia about 6 months ago.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:46 AM

445 posts, read 1,166,915 times
You might want to look into Ayrsley Town Center. It's on that side and is one of the "new urban" designed communities, with housing, businesses and attractions all built around a "town" concept. It's still close enough to uptown for outings.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:00 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,430,106 times
Quote:
Yes the OP does categorically state that he wants to live in the city, so assume he has done his research and doesn't want to live in Gastonia!

As for the link to the other post regarding a move to Gastonia, the OP does say he would still rather live in Charlotte

Old 09-03-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Yes the OP does categorically state that he wants to live in the city, so assume he has done his research and doesn't want to live in Gastonia!

As for the link to the other post regarding a move to Gastonia, the OP does say he would still rather live in Charlotte
The OP can ask the HR at Gaston Memorial for recommendations. Those recommendations would most likely be in East Gastonia. There are some complexes that are every bit as nice as what's in Charlotte. Married & attached posters with kids have been advised in other threads to ask for the demographics when calling to inquire at apartment complexes because it's the worst kept secret around here that there are a few that are pretty well crawling with young people. But then you wouldn't know that, because you don't live around here. The OP could get an apartment in one of those places for 6 months or a year, learn the area & find out if it would be worth it to live in Charlotte. That would also give time to make an informed decision about where to look in Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte