Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 09:02 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Fair enough.

I still don't get the "everyone is so busy" comment. Is that good? Bad? Neither? Are you asking if Charlotte is as busy as the DC 'burbs? Competitive for what? Jobs? Homes? Parking spaces?
Rush, rush, busy, busy, congestion, too many people per square foot - those would all be negatives in my book
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 09:08 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,371,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Rush, rush, busy, busy, congestion, too many people per square foot - those would all be negatives in my book
Mine, as well. However, I've learned not to make assumptions about what people are looking for. Especially when the OP mentioned something about wanting/liking the "hustle and bustle".

Old 07-07-2010, 09:18 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,713,681 times
Charlotte is a LOT smaller than DC. You can walk the entire Charlotte city area in under an hour. This might be a huge let down for you if you like big cities. However, we still have lots of great things to do, professional sports teams, great concerts, arts, shopping, resturants, ect. Its just a smaller scale then big cities like DC.

Please come visit to check everything out.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:22 AM

187 posts, read 491,801 times
Thank you, "LovesMountains". Hooligan is too literal! I guess by answering his questions I'll figure something out....

Old 07-07-2010, 09:26 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,024,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemy4kids View Post
Can you be more specific? Are you saying that going into Charlotte for a baseball game or musuem will be a let down? Or are you referring to the people? It is very diverse and competitive here. Many of our doctors are Indian and Asian. Everyone is so busy.
We can try to prepare you with comments, but comparing the city to DC is just not productive - Charlotte is a beautiful city with much to offer, but it's not DC and you can find many previous discussions around this idea.

My previous comments were specifically around Huntersville / Mooresville since that's where you're looking to move. The reality is that the entire area is all recently developed (with still new construction going on) - with really the only exception being Davidson. There are some established / mature residential pockets of homes, but in general it really started at the higher end as the area attracted people for access to Lake Norman... it is McMansion city all around the lake. It then spilled out East of the lake. BTW - I think it's excellent news that Lowes appears to be bringing in folks to help absorb the inventory in those lower to middle price points (hoping most of these folks buy resale!)... This could be very good news for the area in general. But at the end of the day, it's not an area that was exclusively driven as a Charlotte suburb - the development was mostly driven by the lake access and that's the hype.

Beyond that, you'll find that the area is extremely congested as the roads have lagged well behind the home building. It's going to be very interesting to see what happens to the area as Lowes brings in more and more people.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:30 AM

I am trying to get the best of both worlds for my family. We love to play outside, ride our bikes, and go to the pool. We love to pull out the bbq pit with the neighbors. We also want to go into the "city" or find a fantastic restaurant for a nice date night. What I mean about competitive in Nova is that parents here tend to rattle off their children's resume after knowing them for five minutes. I was referrring to Asian and Indians to illustrate my point about diversity. With this, the competiveness in the schools happens as well.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:31 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,371,755 times
Quote:
Thank you, "LovesMountains". Hooligan is too literal! I guess by answering his questions I'll figure something out....
I'm not trying to be literal, I'm just trying to figure out what you're really asking.

Do you want something that is more or less busy than DC? Are you looking for something more or less diverse? Are you looking for something more or less "competitive" (whatever that means in this situation)?

I don't understand what you're trying to find out about.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I am trying to get the best of both worlds for my family. We love to play outside, ride our bikes, and go to the pool. We love to pull out the bbq pit with the neighbors. We also want to go into the "city" or find a fantastic restaurant for a nice date night. What I mean about competitive in Nova is that parents here tend to rattle off their children's resume after knowing them for five minutes. I was referrring to Asian and Indians to illustrate my point about diversity. With this, the competiveness in the schools happens as well.

Having a few Indian and Asian friends I can attest to their focus on education and their drive to succeed It's a cultural trait more Americans could benefit from! But here in Charlotte we haven't seen the kind of one-up-manship to the extent you are describing.

I think what you are looking for is very attainable in either Mooresville or Huntersville. The downside to both towns for me is the traffic - it is just too congested nowadays. HOWEVER, that's a relative thing, and compared to what you see in Northern VA you might laugh at the traffic here

Old 07-07-2010, 10:22 AM

You have been very helpful by comprehending what I'm trying to get at. This is the beginning of my search and it's all I have until we get there to look for ourselves.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
You have been very helpful by comprehending what I'm trying to get at. This is the beginning of my search and it's all I have until we get there to look for ourselves.
No problem - that's what we're here for - to help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte