Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 04:13 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,362,410 times

Advertisements

The sales that I mentioned earlier are through to the end of the week so I am going to wait until Friday so that I get cheap prices in addition to the no sales tax as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 05:17 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,064,272 times
We've had a lot of success price matching at Walmart too. If you are already in the area or when the supply stores run out of items you can get the same products at Walmart. Just make sure you have your fliers with you.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:12 PM

Walgreen has the best deals on highlighters (6pack/19cents), pencils (.09), and index cards (100 count for .29). Office Max has the best deals on paper (only 100ct) at 25 cents, rulers (.05), and pencils( .10) (however, there are limits). Target had the best deal on 1 in-binders at 79cents (only the black or white ones).

Hope this can help out some of ya. I am stocking up for my class and also a supply closet we are trying to have at school for kids. Bcause of the limits I will be back out tomorrow to get some more stuff.

The change I cahed in at the bank really bought a lot of stuff too.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:34 AM

525 posts, read 1,804,743 times
We buy as things are on sale. I have spent about 20 and I have bought 3 expensive durable binders, 20 pens, 16 highlighters, about 10 composition notebooks, 15 folders, 5 boxes of crayons, 2 boxes of markers, 2 colored pencils, 4 notebooks...just need notebook paper and a few other itesm, Ticonderoga pencils are all we use. It can be done easily you just have to look around! Staples has specials each week Sun through Wed, Target has cheap items and so does Walmart. Office Depot is another one that does weekly specials near school time.
We do school clothes when needed as well and have alot of namebrand items. It takes time, but you just look around, hit TJMaxx, sales, clearance, consignment. I think that if you want to find deals you will. My kids are well dressed however we don't spend a ton of money.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:37 AM

525 posts, read 1,804,743 times
No matter HOW much money I make or have I don't plan on spending it unnecessarily when things can be had for much cheaper if I take 15 extra minutes to check around. I have better things to spend 50+ extra dollars, whether it be investing it, or spending some time with my spouse or vacation.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:23 PM

Walgreens now has glue sticks 19 cents for two pack

Old 08-11-2010, 12:38 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanqueen View Post
Walgreens now has glue sticks 19 cents for two pack
I don't know if the prices have changed, but I bought a two pack of Elmer's glue sticks at Target for $.20 this past weekend. Composition notebooks were $.25, packs of 150 loose sheets of lined paper $.75, spiral notebooks $.15, bottles of Elmer's glue $.20, Bic pens, pack of 10 $.50. Plenty of cheap stuff! I spent $6 and have a big bag to donate to my local elementary school.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I don't know if the prices have changed, but I bought a two pack of Elmer's glue sticks at Target for $.20 this past weekend. Composition notebooks were $.25, packs of 150 loose sheets of lined paper $.75, spiral notebooks $.15, bottles of Elmer's glue $.20, Bic pens, pack of 10 $.50. Plenty of cheap stuff! I spent $6 and have a big bag to donate to my local elementary school.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:48 PM

8 posts, read 22,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
When I taught full time, I needed my students to have paper, pencil and something to keep their papers organized. Thats it. I don't care about the specifics. Get what works for your child and budget.
I wish more teachers and schools had your mindset.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:12 PM

19 posts, read 41,876 times
most of the schools have low funds and are asking for these things for the entire room to use. I bought a lot of extra sanitizer wipes and markers last year for my daughter's class. I can't even afford to buy any supplies this year. i have been trying to sell my own stuff via craigs list to buy the things my two will need for the year. I know what you mean by how do families struggling afford this, the answer is either we dont or we become a charity case and we wait for someone with a big enough heart to help us. I am still waiting and school starts for us in four days. would not be so bad maybe if I were not a single mother with no father for them to rely on. I had to leave my home in Texas to get away from him being in and out of jail and kickin up on me whenever he got the notion. anyone have any advice for me where to look for additional help it would be appreciated, thank you much.,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte