Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 01:01 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,973,801 times

Advertisements

To the OP, please visit all 3 cities and see for yourself what all of those cities are about, and whatever city interests you, then you should move to that place! Also have an open mind when visiting each place! Lastly, it's good to get advice from everyone on here, but at the end of the day, you make the best and most informative decision as to where you want to end up at once you've checked each city out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 01:14 PM

578 posts, read 2,599,377 times
I'm from Portland and have lived in Charlotte for three years. Unless you're planning on staying out of Charlotte-Mecklenburg schools (I can't speak for Fort Mill, Union Co., etc.) there is no way Charlotte schools are better than Portland's. I mean, NO WAY. Also, if public transportation is important to you, Portland public transit = best I've ever encountered. Charlotte's = well, let's just say it's faster (but I don't advise it for safety reasons) to bike places faster than it is to get there by bus. There are a lot of good things about Charlotte (have you tried to buy a home in Portland? Ridiculous!) which is why I live here, but be advised of those things if they're important to you.

I'm also not sure about the comparative unemployment rates, but I *think* that Charlotte's and Portland's are pretty comparable. I know people in both cities who can't get a job if their life depended on it!

Old 08-10-2010, 07:26 PM

128 posts, read 272,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
Thank you for clearing that up dbull about Charlotte's nightlife! I was in Charlotte this past Friday and I could of sworn that I was partying downtown @ NCMF until I left around 1am, had to go back to work the next day! I wish people would stop making Charlotte seem like it is some sort of boring place where people only come to just settle down, get married and raise children b/c there is a nightlife scene in Charlotte, plus the majority of those I see hanging out are those in the 20-30 age range, so there is a good deal of young singles in Charlotte! Granted, most other places nightlife is more establised than Charlotte, but Charlotte does have adequate nightlife where you can enjoy yourelf, especially on the weekends, that's when it is really active!
Yea, agreed about the mis-perception (not sure why there is one really). I don't party as much as I used to, but I know all my single friends never have a problem finding a place to go for a night out in CLT.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:59 AM

156 posts, read 511,418 times
I grew up in Austin and have only lived in the Charlotte area for 2 years. Austin is much more ecclectic if that's what you're looking for. It is a college town full of hippies and cowboys. It is known for its music scene as well as its crazy politics. The city motto is "Keep Austin Weird." If normal is what you're looking for, then move to Charlotte!

Old 08-11-2010, 11:29 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times
I'd go Portland if you could afford it.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:34 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Charlotte is more of a business town and in good times more opportunities for employment and advancement. It is a city with many transplants and its located in a beautiful state with great access to other East Coast areas. Mild climate and friendly people. Its what it is and it doesn't appear to be smug and a braggart about itself. Its motto is not Keep Charlotte Weird, like the other two cities you picked that use the motto with their cities name.

Portland in the beautiful PNW is also what it is and its not Charlotte by a long shot. It is both transplants and many many that are native to this area or region of the country. It is hippies, yuppies and hipsters in large amounts. It is densely populated and controlled by an urban growth boundary. It is is heavily political and you can't escape that aspect of it. You have to be someone that is into Portland and its personality, or it won't work no matter how beautiful the region is. It is beautiful in georgraphy but its economy is never beautiful, and many seem to prefer it that way or it would have been dealth with long ago. The chronic high unemployement year after year is a constant problem in Oregon. That and the cost of living is rather high, for a state with so many that seem to have a lifetime of hit and miss employment. It is also and should be a red warning flag for anyone that considers this area to relocate. The reasons why Oregon remains almost the top of the list for unemployment no matter what year it is.

I think if your someone that values employment and is looking for a more traditional or more diverse type environment then Charlotte is a better choice. However in the times we live many places other than Texas seem to be struggling, so perhaps you should study Austin more than the other two cities.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:29 AM

308 posts, read 617,897 times
All three are great places. All three are similar in many ways and have their own unique features. The major differences are proximity to things you want and weather.I chose Charlotte because of its proximity to beaches and mountains and the international airport at my feet. Educational opportunities in all three cities are similar as are populations. You will always run into negative individuals that are going to say one place is better than another, but it is all up to you. You won't make a bad choice in either case. Charlotte has a brilliant future to look forward to despite currention recession woes. I look forward to watching it grow. Good luck. I think weather in Charlotte is generally better. This has been a brutal summer, but I spend most of my time in London anyway.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:30 PM

11 posts, read 19,641 times
Austin, but I'm from there and now live in Greensboro. I wish I was back in Austin. Great music scene, food, people, surrounding cities, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte