Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 08:55 AM

209 posts, read 538,723 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

My husband and I are trying to figure out where to live for the next stage of our lives and we were wondering if there are any Buffalo, NY people living in and around Charlotte?

I've heard that there are and Charlotte has always been on our radar as far as places to live.

We've lived all over the country but other than my hometown, Charlotte feels like a nice fit. Since we are in a transition stage of our lives, (meaning we have several options as to where to live) we thought moving to Charlotte now might be a good move.

We are in our late forties, children grown and in college, we are really fit for our age, and prefer a suburban lifestyle with grocery, high end shopping (Nordstrom's, Saks, or Neiman's) to be near by along with big box stores and restaurants. We aren't into fancy restaurants, but like to hit one up once in a while. (You can take the girl out of Buffalo, but you can't take the Buffalo out of the girl...)

We are such a contradiction - we love high end shopping, but also like to go bowling, golf (would love to join a club or live on a course) entertain, go to bars to watch sports, attend games, swim, go to the beach or lake, amusement parks are fun and just do other normal stuff.

Even though our children are grown, we are starting to look into fostering children.... long story - will explain privately - so I suppose good schools will be important.

We have a housing budget of max 600K. What's the housing market like in and around Charlotte?

If there is anyone from Buffalo (I grew up in Cheektowaga!) I'd love to find an area like Williamsville or Amherst so if you are out there, could you please send me in the right direction?

We would not be coming without a job BTW. Thanks in advance to any and all advice or comments.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 09:11 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,597,689 times
Hi there, I'm from Buffalo, we just moved here 2 months ago, though you are closer to our parents ages, we would be more then happy to help. I would strongly recommend doing what we did when we decided to pack up and leave town. Jot down a list of what you are looking for in a city, and do some research online to see what cities in that general area (in this case, Southeast, if that's what you are looking for), and then pick a couple of the cities in that area and go down and visit them for a few days. That's better then just focusing on one area alone. We also visited Louisville, Nashville and Raleigh before settling on Charlotte. As far as finding a place like Williamsville of Amherst, when you get here, you will find that the city of Charlotte is a lot different then Buffalo. When you make your way into the actual city of Buffalo, it's a stark contrast mostly, and you can really notice it. The city of Charlotte isn't as built up as Buffalo, so a lot of the sections that are actually part of the city feel more like our suburbs.

A lot of people like to recommend the South Park area, or Ballentyne area, but I would think of that as more of a more built up Clarence. If you are looking for the safety and amenities without as much of the snobbery, the northeast part of Charlotte (around Mallard Creek Church Rd.) area and Concord area would be more along those lines.

Also, I grew up in East Aurora.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:38 AM

300 posts, read 763,652 times
Smile Buffalo

I am from Buffalo (Amherst/Tonawanda). We have live here the Lake Norman area(north of Charlotte) for about 3 years now. I am in my late 40's. also.

As far as areas to look for I would agree with the post before that if you want high end store it would be in the south park area. Like Clarence Spaulding Lake area type of people.

Concord is also nice. Yes, you definetely have to come and visit all parts of the area. We did that also check out Raleigh and Charlotte. Finally decided to settle in the Charlotte area.

If you need any more help. just let me know.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:15 PM

Thank you to the both of you! I'm not sure the Spaulding area
Is what i'm looking for, although I haven't been there in a while. I live in NYC (Manhattan), and Miami right now. I haven't lived in Buffalo in years, but it will always be home. =)

I recently move from Scottsdale, AZ and I loved living there. I'm pretty much looking for Scottsdale again -- this time without the heat!

I've visited your city before, but visiting is SO different from living there. I
We're looking into so many other areas too, but I keep hearing that there are tons of Buffalo people there.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsydaisy View Post
Thank you to the both of you! I'm not sure the Spaulding area
Is what i'm looking for, although I haven't been there in a while. I live in NYC (Manhattan), and Miami right now. I haven't lived in Buffalo in years, but it will always be home. =)

I recently move from Scottsdale, AZ and I loved living there. I'm pretty much looking for Scottsdale again -- this time without the heat!

I've visited your city before, but visiting is SO different from living there. I
We're looking into so many other areas too, but I keep hearing that there are tons of Buffalo people there.
Well, obviously not many people originally from the Buffalo area are on this forum.
So-- where else everyone from and how do you like it?

Old 09-05-2010, 09:37 PM

45 posts, read 61,073 times
I'm from Rochester. Moved here in 96'. Actually the first people we met here were from Buffalo..lol. There are a ton of upstate NY people here! There's a Buffalo bar in Matthews with Bills crap everywhere.lol. We go there for wings or friday fish frys.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
Hi there, I'm from Buffalo, we just moved here 2 months ago, though you are closer to our parents ages, we would be more then happy to help. I would strongly recommend doing what we did when we decided to pack up and leave town. Jot down a list of what you are looking for in a city, and do some research online to see what cities in that general area (in this case, Southeast, if that's what you are looking for), and then pick a couple of the cities in that area and go down and visit them for a few days. That's better then just focusing on one area alone. We also visited Louisville, Nashville and Raleigh before settling on Charlotte. As far as finding a place like Williamsville of Amherst, when you get here, you will find that the city of Charlotte is a lot different then Buffalo. When you make your way into the actual city of Buffalo, it's a stark contrast mostly, and you can really notice it. The city of Charlotte isn't as built up as Buffalo, so a lot of the sections that are actually part of the city feel more like our suburbs.

A lot of people like to recommend the South Park area, or Ballentyne area, but I would think of that as more of a more built up Clarence. If you are looking for the safety and amenities without as much of the snobbery, the northeast part of Charlotte (around Mallard Creek Church Rd.) area and Concord area would be more along those lines.

Also, I grew up in East Aurora.
Thanks TopChief. We've been to Charlotte a bunch of ties, that is why we are considering it on our list of possible moves.

I wouldn't be looking for a city/loft type living. I like the 'burbs. ANd we have some narrowed down that we really like. Ballentyne is one of the places we like! (sorry).

This will be my 12th (7th house!) move in the last 30 years, so I'm pretty confident I'll be able to figure out what we like, but I do appreciate you reminding us to write down the pros and cons of different areas.

I'll bet your parents are proud of the nice guy you turned out to be. I know I would be proud to call you son. =)

Old 09-06-2010, 09:59 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,597,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsydaisy View Post
Thanks TopChief. We've been to Charlotte a bunch of ties, that is why we are considering it on our list of possible moves.

I wouldn't be looking for a city/loft type living. I like the 'burbs. ANd we have some narrowed down that we really like. Ballentyne is one of the places we like! (sorry).

This will be my 12th (7th house!) move in the last 30 years, so I'm pretty confident I'll be able to figure out what we like, but I do appreciate you reminding us to write down the pros and cons of different areas.

I'll bet your parents are proud of the nice guy you turned out to be. I know I would be proud to call you son. =)
As far as I'm aware, Ballentyne is part of the city.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
As far as I'm aware, Ballentyne is part of the city.
I guess it is when you think about it. I never really thought that though because to me, it's more like a planned community. You know, a lifestyle type thing.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:17 AM

221 posts, read 431,343 times
Rochester in the house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte