Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 05:40 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I know jp...but I think that most people have a hard time visualizing the earth as a sphere and not flat like a map. It's hard to understand how incredibly far away we are from the coast.

Those of you that are worried, picture this: Knoxville is a little more than 200 miles away from Charlotte. If there was a storm in Knoxville, would you be worried about it coming here?

Also, hurricanes quickly lose intensity when they get over land. Their fuel comes from the heat of the ocean's surface. They typically won't affect an area as far inland as Charlotte.
Perhaps this is minimizing things a bit too much. Storm systems much weaker than hurricanes can make there way here from Knoxville. There are mountains in between that disperse some of them but it's not uncommon for large storm systems to come that far...after having made their way through the midwestern states. Some of those systems throw off tornadoes, cause flooding and drop hail all along the way....for many hundreds of miles.

Wind is not the biggest problem with hurricanes that make it this far inland but we can get A LOT of rain in a short amount of time leading to flash flooding. If one is living in a flood prone area they would want to be aware of any hurricane predicted to come ashore and dump lots of rain here. Downed trees and limbs are common as well, even in lesser winds. When a storm like that is coming I preorder a load of gravel because it's pretty much a guarantee that my driveway will wash out, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 06:38 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Dare County has issued an emergency management statement for mandatory evacuation of all visitors to Hatteras Island. This is, of course, the area that will be most vulnerable, but as others have stated, damage occurs inland due to water, tornado spin-offs, tide surge, etc.

It is naive to be unprepared here in CLT when a hurricane is heading towards our coast. Even low level hurricane winds can cause damage and cause power outages inland here in the CLT region.

Dare county's evac notice:

Mandatory Evacuation for Visitors on Hatteras Island : Carolina Lifestyles

Old 09-01-2010, 08:14 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Yea..so i asked how that storm affected the area.... so? Hugo was a FLUKE... the track had to be perfect, it had to be a cat 4 or 5 storm. It had to be moving quickly. Everything had to be right ..or wrong for that to happen. If you even LOOK at the track of Earl its nothing like Hugo...we won't see another Hugo here in Charlotte.
Hey, lighten up! I was trying to be friendly and break the tension between you and Jack, no need to take my head off

Old 09-01-2010, 08:18 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Perhaps this is minimizing things a bit too much. Storm systems much weaker than hurricanes can make there way here from Knoxville. There are mountains in between that disperse some of them but it's not uncommon for large storm systems to come that far...after having made their way through the midwestern states. Some of those systems throw off tornadoes, cause flooding and drop hail all along the way....for many hundreds of miles.
But that's NOT how hurricanes work. I lived at the beach for seven years, and I can tell you the media makes a much bigger deal out of hurricanes than most residents. The Weather Channel would freak out if there was a tropical storm coming when we all knew it was just going to rain for a day.

If I was on the Outer Banks, I would take precautions. Other than that, nobody needs to be concerned.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:24 AM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Hey, lighten up! I was trying to be friendly and break the tension between you and Jack, no need to take my head off
Sorry had a toothache last night that was killing me! I swear to that..I apologize

Old 09-01-2010, 08:42 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
Quote:
But that's NOT how hurricanes work. I lived at the beach for seven years, and I can tell you the media makes a much bigger deal out of hurricanes than most residents. The Weather Channel would freak out if there was a tropical storm coming when we all knew it was just going to rain for a day.

If I was on the Outer Banks, I would take precautions. Other than that, nobody needs to be concerned.
No, no one here needs to be concerned about THIS hurricane because it isn't supposed to come inland or head our way at all. But, that is not the case for every hurricane.

I've been through one direct hurricane and it was a big deal. People evacuated, there was a lot of damage and it was VERY scary.
I've lived inland in TX and now here....too far to be in the direct path of a hurricane but close enough to know that tropical storm winds and flooding can be an issue, even this far inland, and should not be taken lightly. People die in those flash floods, property destroyed, power out for days or weeks...that IS how hurricanes work. Not as serious as being on the coast when a hurricane hits but still more than simply 'rain for a day'.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:50 AM

198 posts, read 641,795 times
The weather forecast calls for dry, hot, and sunny days through next week. Zero chance of rain. I know that the weather guys are often wrong, but I'm thinking we might be safe from any effect of this hurricane.

We are flying to Chicago on Friday morning and were concerned about flights being cancelled, but it looks like all will be well. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Old 09-01-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM08 View Post
The weather forecast calls for dry, hot, and sunny days through next week. Zero chance of rain. I know that the weather guys are often wrong, but I'm thinking we might be safe from any effect of this hurricane.

We are flying to Chicago on Friday morning and were concerned about flights being cancelled, but it looks like all will be well. I'll keep my fingers crossed!
Guys..why are we even DISCUSSING Earl in this part of the country ..its ludicrous.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:

I agree with you Coastal...the weather channel and media are ridiculous with overblowing this stuff. Heck when a real threat is occurring we can't tell the difference anymore.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:18 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
No, no one here needs to be concerned about THIS hurricane because it isn't supposed to come inland or head our way at all. But, that is not the case for every hurricane.

I've been through one direct hurricane and it was a big deal. People evacuated, there was a lot of damage and it was VERY scary.
I've lived inland in TX and now here....too far to be in the direct path of a hurricane but close enough to know that tropical storm winds and flooding can be an issue, even this far inland, and should not be taken lightly. People die in those flash floods, property destroyed, power out for days or weeks...that IS how hurricanes work. Not as serious as being on the coast when a hurricane hits but still more than simply 'rain for a day'.
I agree with you that being aware of hurricanes is very important. Weird things can happen. After Floyd has his way with eastern NC, a piece broke off & travelled up the Delaware & went smack through my old town & created havoc in Philly. I've been through several hurricanes in South Jersey (including Gloria) & while they were usually cat. 2 or 3, it doesn't make them less scary. I'm relieved to be this far inland, but realize that these storms can do the unexpected.

To the OP, hurricanes aren't usually as big a deal as you go up the east coast, but the stations do monitor the tracking. If it looks like a hurricane will effect an area, every reporter will be sent out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte