Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 06:15 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times

Advertisements

I have to agree, even though I'm one of the ones who doesn't fit in here. I wouldn't change the city, just my surroundings. I think it's a beautiful city, with plenty of amenities, it's just not a fit for my family. We are planning on leaving as soon as we won't lose money on our house. OP, is your job bringing you to Charlotte? Is there somewhere else you could consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 11:24 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,972,108 times
So let me get this straight, having constructive criticism means you hate this city, right! I love Charlotte, I wouldn't consider moving here if I didn't, but let's not pretend that it's all peachy keen when there is a lot that can be done to improve and make things better! Am I wanting some sort of Utopia where everyone holds hands and sing Kumbaya, no, but I also don't want a city where people feel like an outsider, either, have you read some of the comments on here lately? I know that everyone that comes here aren't going to like Charlotte and that Charlotte will not be for everyone, but that doesn't mean you can't work on trying to make things better for EVERYONE, regardless of background or belief system!

Old 09-10-2010, 11:43 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
So let me get this straight, having constructive criticism means you hate this city, right! I love Charlotte, I wouldn't consider moving here if I didn't, but let's not pretend that it's all peachy keen when there is a lot that can be done to improve and make things better! Am I wanting some sort of Utopia where everyone holds hands and sing Kumbaya, no, but I also don't want a city where people feel like an outsider, either, have you read some of the comments on here lately? I know that everyone that comes here aren't going to like Charlotte and that Charlotte will not be for everyone, but that doesn't mean you can't work on trying to make things better for EVERYONE, regardless of background or belief system!

OK, that's cool. I have no problems with wanting to improve some aspects of life in the city where you live. However, your original post made it seem like you disliked more things about CLT than you liked. Hence my question of why you wanted to move here at all.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with life in CLT. I don't need to be able to be out at the club until 6am, nor do I care if the general society of the city thinks I "fit in" or if I'm a "freak".

I came from a small town (Lansing, MI), though, so perhaps my expectations are just lower? Whatever the reason, I'm happy here. Hopefully you will be, as well.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:05 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Quote:
So let me get this straight, having constructive criticism means you hate this city,....
This was your "constructive criticism" of Charlotte in your OP.

Charlotte is.....
  • a small town posing as a big city
  • overgrown small town
  • not inclusive
  • conservative and family oriented instead of being a "real progressive liberal open city" (meaningless buzzwords from the misguided, false argument, culture war)
  • condemning and being judgmental
  • scoffs at new ideas
You also blamed the city for the NC state drinking laws. Since you don't live here, I don't know how you would have come to these conclusions, but if you are going to dish out advice to the ones who do live here, you might want to at least be an example yourself. Personally, to me, it sounds more like "lets throw some dookie on Charlotte" post that is thinly veiled as something constructive.

Last edited by lumbollo; 09-10-2010 at 12:13 PM..

Old 09-10-2010, 12:07 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Since you don't live here I think it is hard to see the entire scope of the town. I consider myself to be very liberal and open minded. I don't see this singular oppressive "Charlotte" you describe. There are more than 700,000 people living in Charlotte and hundreds of thousands more living in the surrounding towns. There are people of all walks of life happily enjoying this city. There is very an active arts community and many, many "creative" types here. There is probably a group/community for every interest.

Just because one isn't familiar with groups and activities in the area doesn't mean they don't exist.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:16 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,117,119 times
Perhaps it's you that needs to be more "inclusive"?

Seriously, you can't force people to be inclusive (which I guess is the second phase of being "diverse"). You can only hope for tolerance and that, I believe, is what you can hope for.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
This was your "constructive criticism" of Charlotte in your OP.

Charlotte is.....
  • a small town posing as a big city
  • overgrown small town
  • not inclusive
  • conservative and family oriented instead of being a "real progressive liberal open city" (meaningless buzzwords from the misguided, false argument, culture war)
  • condemning and being judgmental
  • scoffs at new ideas
You also blamed the city for the NC state drinking laws. Since you don't live here, I don't know how you would have come to these conclusions, but if you are going to dish out advice to the ones who do live here, you might want to at least be an example yourself. Personally, to me, it sounds more like "lets throw some dookie on Charlotte" post that is thinly veiled as something constructive.
First off, I did not blame the city for the state drinking laws, if you would have read what I said, you would have seen that I said that I thought it was stupid for the State ABC Board to dictate that bars and nightclubs close @ 2am instead of just the ABC stores, where was it where I said that I blamed the city for that? As usual, you always want to twist someone's words around!

Old 09-10-2010, 12:57 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Rae, Charlotte Rae is what I want.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:08 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
Quote:
Perhaps your idea of making things 'better' is not what many people here would want. Perhaps people feeling like outsiders reflects more on their inability to adapt to the area or choosing an area that doesn't suit them. Perhaps there is something to be gained by actually moving to an area and living there for a while, TRYING to adapt and find your place BEFORE deciding which things should be changed to make things better for 'everyone'.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Rae, Charlotte Rae is what I want.
Funny! I got a kick out of that! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte