Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:10 AM

28 posts, read 98,981 times

Advertisements

I am a native of Hampton Roads area in Virginia and very interested in moving to the Concord area. I feel that I desperately need to leave the area as soon as I feasibly can. My husband, not a fan of change, is dragging his feet.

I am at a point where I just may be willing to leave without him. (Yes, it's that serious for me.) I have done a ton of research on the area. Have visited several times and even scoped out a few apartments. (There is a definite favorite.) I will be able to keep my job and work from home.

I have two friends and one acquaintance who live in the area (one of with whom I already have a babysitting arrangement on the table , as she could use one too) but family will be about 5 hours away. My boys will be 10 and 7 at the time of my planned move.

Any tips or recommendations from any one who has moved out of states with young kids? Has anyone done this and regretted it? Anyone done it and think it was a good decision?

I am confident my husband may begrudingly follow but just in case I'm on my own...

I know how important family is but I feel my life here is stalled and figure a change is in order.

I appreciate any thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 09:36 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanative1 View Post
I am a native of Hampton Roads area in Virginia and very interested in moving to the Concord area. I feel that I desperately need to leave the area as soon as I feasibly can. My husband, not a fan of change, is dragging his feet.

I am at a point where I just may be willing to leave without him. (Yes, it's that serious for me.) I have done a ton of research on the area. Have visited several times and even scoped out a few apartments. (There is a definite favorite.) I will be able to keep my job and work from home.

I have two friends and one acquaintance who live in the area (one of with whom I already have a babysitting arrangement on the table , as she could use one too) but family will be about 5 hours away. My boys will be 10 and 7 at the time of my planned move.

Any tips or recommendations from any one who has moved out of states with young kids? Has anyone done this and regretted it? Anyone done it and think it was a good decision?

I am confident my husband may begrudingly follow but just in case I'm on my own...

I know how important family is but I feel my life here is stalled and figure a change is in order.

I appreciate any thoughts.

Moving before your oldest gets to middle school is preferrable for sure.

Concord is a nice place and has some great places to live and good schools. Good thing is you have a few connections here already

Have you looked at the Tower Place apartments?

Old 09-22-2010, 03:09 PM

lovesMountains,

A response from you is like speaking with a celebrity! I have seen the place on line but didn't visit. I plan to stop in on my next visit to the area, which will likely be in November.

I see their name often in the forum. Definitely work checking out , it seems.

My 9 year old is all for a move. I've explained to him that this means being away from family for long periods of time. He's okay with that. He's not shy by any means so I'm not worried about him making friends.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
lovesMountains,

A response from you is like speaking with a celebrity! I have seen the place on line but didn't visit. I plan to stop in on my next visit to the area, which will likely be in November.

I see their name often in the forum. Definitely work checking out , it seems.

My 9 year old is all for a move. I've explained to him that this means being away from family for long periods of time. He's okay with that. He's not shy by any means so I'm not worried about him making friends.

Thanks for the reply.

You are too kind and have made my day - thank you

Please let me know what other questions I might be able to answer!

Old 09-23-2010, 08:17 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
As someone who has lived in CLT for the past 3.5+ years and has been working in the Hampton Roads area M-F for the past 1.5+ yrs, I can say that I'm glad I live where I do!

I'll not comment on the bit about leaving your husband behind - that is an intensely personal decision and I don't think anyone other that yourself is capable of providing any guidance on that.

We live over in the Steele Creek area, not up in Concord, but I love the Charlotte metro area, personally.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
As someone who has lived in CLT for the past 3.5+ years and has been working in the Hampton Roads area M-F for the past 1.5+ yrs, I can say that I'm glad I live where I do!

I'll not comment on the bit about leaving your husband behind - that is an intensely personal decision and I don't think anyone other that yourself is capable of providing any guidance on that.

We live over in the Steele Creek area, not up in Concord, but I love the Charlotte metro area, personally.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Yeah, and as someone who ALMOST had to move to Hampton Roads a little over a year ago, I can also say Charlotte is definitely the better place to be

The rents alone were outrageous. And the tiny, ugly little 60's style homes (which seemed the norm everywhere we went) were way overpriced for what you could spend the same money on in Charlotte for something modern and new.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:45 AM

Thanks, Hooligan and LovesMountains. I have lived here all my life and after I started researching I was blown away at the cost of rents and homes here versus other areas. I don't get it. I figure it must have something to do with the high military population but what do I know? I have several friends from here who have moved to Charlotte (who doesn't? lol) and they all state they have no intention of returning.

Since I can keep my job and my pay, I thnk the lower cost of living would be a great thing for my family.

Thanks, again.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Hooligan and LovesMountains. I have lived here all my life and after I started researching I was blown away at the cost of rents and homes here versus other areas. I don't get it. I figure it must have something to do with the high military population but what do I know? I have several friends from here who have moved to Charlotte (who doesn't? lol) and they all state they have no intention of returning.

Since I can keep my job and my pay, I thnk the lower cost of living would be a great thing for my family.

Thanks, again.
hi vanative When we were possibly moving to Virginia Beach we went out with a realtor for two days - so I got a good feeling for housing costs, and was shocked.

The realtor explained to us that the inflated costs were in fact related to the military presence there. Apparently members of the military get housing vouchers they can add their own money to for rental costs. So for instance if the military member could only afford to pay $500 a month himself, with the government voucher they could get something actually renting in the $1000 range.

How soon do you think you'll make the move?

Old 09-29-2010, 10:43 AM

972 posts, read 2,444,176 times
I wanted to share this because your boys will be hitting middle school soon. Cabarrus County is in the middle of rezoning some schools due to Fries becoming a STEM magnet and a new middle school opening to reduce Harris Road's population. Here are the links to the proposed new maps:

Board of Education - Public Hearing Notice

Good luck with your decision! We love living in Concord and really love the school district.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:22 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the information, MSM! Much appreciated. lovesMountains, sometime during next summer.
Our lease renews in May and we need to give 60 days notice so we will have to have a firm decision by early March , to include having an apartment waiting in the wings.

So ideally we will be on the road end of July at the latest. I'm trying to convince my husband to go down for another visit, maybe a football game to help coax him.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte