Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 04:59 PM

70 posts, read 376,480 times

Advertisements

I do not live in Charlotte yet (planning to make the move from Oregon this summer!) But, what I have seen is that the area is very diverse. This is perhaps due to the city being fairly new compared to other large metropolitan areas. I would say (without proof) that a large majority of the residents are transplants from other areas.....which results in a great mix. Oddly enough, Charlotte still retains lots of Southern things.....like those weird boiled peanuts! I even saw them canned at a quickie mart!

Old 07-03-2007, 05:15 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,917,944 times
Yeah, boiled peanuts creep me out. Never understood them myself. I know people love 'em but they are in the same category as pecan logs in my book....

Old 07-03-2007, 05:59 PM

32 posts, read 164,639 times
Hi Lildee,

I'm AA and I can echo what lovesmtns and some of the others have said. It is one of the things I like about the area, the diversity everyone seems to get along just fine for the most part .

Old 07-03-2007, 07:30 PM

435 posts, read 1,816,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginamcd View Post
I would say (without proof) that a large majority of the residents are transplants from other areas.....which results in a great mix.
That is true. I'm a transplant myself (lived here since '85 when my parents moved us down here) & the majority of people are transplants. In the late '80s/early '90s many northern companies moved their business down here & in turn moved all their employees here. Many come from out of state but there are a fair amount who come from other parts of the state.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:28 PM

23 posts, read 86,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
But I am not offended at all! What I am telling you is the truth! Please, someone else log on here and let lildee know I am serious. THERE ARE NO UPSCALE AREAS IN CHARLOTTE THAT ARE ALL BLACK. The only color that really matters in Charlotte is GREEN. The more green you are the more options you have for neighborhoods.

And guess what? There are not even any all black middle class neighborhoods! In Charlotte the only thing that separates people of race is their income. My neighbors are Indian, black, South African, English, you name it.
you do understand that "predominately" and "all" are have totally different meanings right? I don't remember ever using the word "all" - doesn't matter - i've gotten your response.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:34 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,675,635 times
I agree with what everyone has said regarding the diversity of Charlotte. I am, however, somewhat baffled at the question in the first place, although this may stem from cultural differences, admittedly.

In my very humble opinion, I think this is a core issue with the "out of date" racial divide: that some people still choose to segregate. I'm sure this question was not intended to initiate racial debate, nor was it seeking the type of answer that I am writing, but I have to be honest that it hits me the wrong way. I am a white, southern male, born and raised in Charlotte. I have seen some conflicts concerning racial differences, but in an era where we are supposed to be promoting greater racial, ethnic, and cultural relations, why would people still choose to segregate themselves??

But, to answer your question, since money is not an issue and you can "live anywhere" let me point you to Freedom Drive, Beatties Ford Road, Tuskaseegee, Derita, Eastway, West Blvd., Statesville Rd/Graham St., Tryon Rd close to downtown, Eastland Mall area, East Meck and Idlewilde, Central Ave., Greer Town, and Sugar Creek.

As was said before, Green rules Charlotte, but if you're fixed on "sticking with your people" and don't mind the high crime areas that just so happen to be majority African American, then choose from the list above.

Personally, I would want to live where everybody can get along regardless of color. But that's just me.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:42 PM

"old cities" what are you talking about - i guess "culturally rich neighborhoods/communities" are a new concept to you - I can't go back and forth (especially with ignorance regarding homeless shelters - are low-income and shelter one and the same there?)- my response is not calculated or mean-spirited and this is done -- don't want to "cause trouble" thank you for your time. God Bless.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:48 PM

As was said before, Green rules Charlotte, but if you're fixed on "sticking with your people" and don't mind the high crime areas that just so happen to be majority African American, then choose from the list above.

wow - so majority African American=High Crime Area? interesting - thanks - you've given me enlightment on other details to take into consideration regarding moving south - God Bless

Old 07-03-2007, 09:51 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,675,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lildee007 View Post

wow - so majority African American=High Crime Area? interesting - thanks - you've given me enlightment on other details to take into consideration regarding moving south - God Bless
Unfortunately this is the case. It has nothing to do with my opinion. It is fact, sadly enough. God bless you as well.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:51 PM

that's all the response i was looking for - thank you whytewulf...sincerely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte