Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2010, 03:01 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times

Advertisements

For those of you in Charlotte with a free weekend next weekend I want to highly recommend you consider Grayson Highlands as your destination!

Whether you want to camp, backpack or just hike, you would really enjoy the color. And from my estimation they'll be peak there by next weekend

At 5000 feet in elevation the Grayson Highlands are Virginia's highest mountains.

To reach the park you just take I77 north out of Charlotte, take exit 83 to Sparta on hwy 21. In Sparta take hwy 93 to hwy 58. The park entrance is on hwy 58. You can make this drive in under 3 hours.

Here is what it looks like as of yesterday (Saturday, the 9th):

Last edited by lovesMountains; 10-10-2010 at 03:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 04:54 PM

5,763 posts, read 11,367,944 times
Nice photos! I live in southern Cal and was visiting in NC about 2 years ago in the fall. Here in Southern Cal, we don't get hardly any "fall colors" so it was nice to see the change of seasons in NC + SW VA. I spent several days around Damascus. Went hiking and mtn biking in Grayson Highlands and the adjacent Mt Rogers Nat'l Recreation area. I was surprised at how few people were on the trails, considering how close it is to Charlotte and other metros in NC. I was there mid-week, so that's part of the reason. It's a very beautiful area, and far less crowded and commercialized than visiting Great Smokies. For bike riders, there is a great rails to trails ride from Abingdon, VA that heads east for 30 or so miles through the mountains called the Virginia Creeper Trail. There's also a 50 mile rails to trails route along the New River. All of this is in SW VA, not far from Grayson Highlands State Park and Mt Rogers Natl Recreation area. Damascus or Abingdon make good "base camps" for exploration in the area.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Nice photos! I live in southern Cal and was visiting in NC about 2 years ago in the fall. Here in Southern Cal, we don't get hardly any "fall colors" so it was nice to see the change of seasons in NC + SW VA. I spent several days around Damascus. Went hiking and mtn biking in Grayson Highlands and the adjacent Mt Rogers Nat'l Recreation area. I was surprised at how few people were on the trails, considering how close it is to Charlotte and other metros in NC. I was there mid-week, so that's part of the reason. It's a very beautiful area, and far less crowded and commercialized than visiting Great Smokies. For bike riders, there is a great rails to trails ride from Abingdon, VA that heads east for 30 or so miles through the mountains called the Virginia Creeper Trail. There's also a 50 mile rails to trails route along the New River. All of this is in SW VA, not far from Grayson Highlands State Park and Mt Rogers Natl Recreation area. Damascus or Abingdon make good "base camps" for exploration in the area.
Thanks for posting! Even though there were plenty of cars in the main parking lot yesterday, we were able to hike one trail without ever seeing another soul (the Rock House Ridge Trail). In fact, our car was the only one in that lot!)

In addition, at the highest point in the park, Little Pinnacle (on the Twin Pinnacles trail), with the best 360 degree views, we had the place to ourselves as we ate our lunch. It's really nice to go to such a beautiful area and not have it be overcrowded!

The Virginia Creeper is my all time favorite bike ride

Glad you were able to sample some of the beauty over on our end of the country!

Old 10-11-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post

Forgot to say, I love Damascus! It's especially fun to visit during Trail Days, always the weekend after Mother's Day

Trail Days, Damascus, Virginia

Old 10-11-2010, 08:07 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,653,737 times
We love Grayson Highlands! Connects to the Appalachian Trail, which is nice, and I can't remember which section of the park they're in, but you can see wild ponies there. It's been a while - I think we need to head back up there!

Old 10-16-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
We love Grayson Highlands! Connects to the Appalachian Trail, which is nice, and I can't remember which section of the park they're in, but you can see wild ponies there. It's been a while - I think we need to head back up there!
By coincidence there is an article in todays Observer that talks about the wild ponies

Wild winds, wild horses - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/10/16/1766181/wild-winds-wild-horses.html - broken link)

And the colors are still good, I hope anyone thinking of going will make it in the next two weekends!

Old 10-16-2010, 05:17 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,585 times
ooooo nice pictures! Glad to see some color happening - someone posted awhile back that the leaves wouldn't be as nice this year b/c of the dryness and warm weather. I was worried!

Old 10-16-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
ooooo nice pictures! Glad to see some color happening - someone posted awhile back that the leaves wouldn't be as nice this year b/c of the dryness and warm weather. I was worried!
Thanks! I think we're at least a week from peak, there is still plenty of time to see the colors if anyone wants to head up to the higher elevations

Taken today near Doughton Park on the Parkway:

Old 10-21-2010, 11:53 AM

I hope others will come back after this weekend and post more pics of the fall colors in the mountains!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte