Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2010, 02:15 PM

8 posts, read 15,186 times

Advertisements

Looking to purchase a home in the Hunter Oaks Subdivsion in Waxhaw, NC. Does anybody live in that area that could tell me what you think of the neighboorhood? How are the schools? etc.. I am currently working with a realtor at houses and just wanted to double check City-Data to get more opinions. Are there other subdivisions that are more popluar or will be a better return on investment that we might have overlooked in the 28277 and 28173 zip codes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 02:18 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
As soon as I read "return on investment" you just about lost me... If you're looking for returns, you shouldn't be buying. Period.

If you could provide some insight into why you like Hunter Oaks and price point, commute, other details / requirements - you can get some advice from regulars here.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:16 PM

8 posts, read 15,186 times
I think most people hope to show a return on investment over the long haul when purchasing real estate. I'm not looking to flip a house just a stable neighborhood that would show moderate gains in the next 10 years. My husband and I currently live close to uptown and we will soon be starting a family and wanted to move to an area that is more kid friendly. We like Hunter Oaks because it is a mature neighboorhood that is no longer building, has trees, nice yards on most lots, and decent sized square footage. We are able to spend up to $400K but are most comfortable staying in the $350K and under price range. My husband works in Matthews and I work from home and travel so I can really live anywhere. Looking for at least 2500sq. ft.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:17 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlottechic View Post
I think most people hope to show a return on investment over the long haul when purchasing real estate. I'm not looking to flip a house just a stable neighborhood that would show moderate gains in the next 10 years. My husband and I currently live close to uptown and we will soon be starting a family and wanted to move to an area that is more kid friendly. We like Hunter Oaks because it is a mature neighboorhood that is no longer building, has trees, nice yards on most lots, and decent sized square footage. We are able to spend up to $400K but are most comfortable staying in the $350K and under price range. My husband works in Matthews and I work from home and travel so I can really live anywhere. Looking for at least 2500sq. ft.
I don't think you want to buy as far out as Hunter Oaks if gains on the RE investment is a top priority... You'd be best looking up in South Charlotte. If you're willing to take the risk, you'll definitely get more house for the money in the Union County area, though.

Working in Matthews, did you look in the Weddington area? That's definitely a consideration. You could also look in the Ardrey Kell and Providence HS areas.

As you further out in Waxhaw, you could look at a bunch of neighborhoods. Do you have an agent?

Old 10-30-2010, 03:00 PM

71 posts, read 239,153 times
Charlottechic-my wife and I live in Hunter Oaks. We have been here for 1.5 years and love it. We are on the Grayscroft side and immediately became familiar with our neighbors. Our Cul de sac (roughly 10 houses) are aged 28-45 with kids from newborn to 15 years old. We couldn't be happier. I played golf today with a few neighbors and they rave about Rea View Elementary. The proximity to Blakeney speaks for itself and if your husband is driving to Matthews he will miss the traffic jam on the inner loop in the mornings. Good luck with your search.....We nearly bought in Somerset but it never felt right. Hunter Oaks was right for us from the beginning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte