Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 10:22 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,025,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Yes they do, and for those that didn't panic and follow the herd, they've done very well over the years (on their way to achieve their financial goals...)

Most people make their money in selling advice (in day trading) rather than profiting from it.....
heh - definitely. Nobody with any significant footprint has money in the stock market. Real retail investors are long gone as they no longer can compete with the computer algorithms who insta trade very tiny margins. You can see this in action as the market has been consistently having a flash crash almost weekly (stocks lose more then half value in under a second). The circuit breakers aren't even fast enough to catch them. Fortunately for most, the SEC will invalidate certain trades... But, that's not guaranteed to continue so you're taking extreme risk owning any equity.

In the end, there's been 26 weeks of net outflows out of the market - more money has been coming out then going in (by a very wide margin) for the last 6 months straight. The only reason the market appears "green" is becoming of churn (incredibly high volume between the computers) and, most importantly, the Fed is pumping 10s of billions of dollars directly in weekly. This is how they will inject that $600B over the next 6 months that they decided from the recent FOMC meeting. It's so bad, in fact, that many high profile hedge funds are closing up shop and returning money to investors. They have nothing to "hedge" when the market is completely broken and not trading on fundamentals or any reasonable logic anymore. It's The Fed and the computers now.

It is an extremely dangerous time to be trading equities and "day trading" has been a long dead art. You sitting on your computer trying to trade this environment would be like bringing a pencil to a gun fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 11:28 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,761,033 times
Yeah, these HFTs scare the bejeesies out of me. Not that I have any money to start with. I guess I need to look at old fashioned investing.

Anyone got some ideas on getting started with insider trading?

Old 11-08-2010, 11:28 AM

716 posts, read 1,544,476 times
Everyone is mentioning about computers controlling the stock market and these so called flash crashes but this is one of the ways you play the market. I have come to the conclusion that people who are highly educated are the ones who don't do soo well in the markets. Have you guys seen what happens to a stock after it flash crashes on no news? After a few days its right back where it was right before its downfall. You can make alot of money on this pattern especially in penny stocks. It doesn't take alot to beat these market makers at their own game

Old 11-08-2010, 12:44 PM

162 posts, read 729,442 times
Quote:
You can see this in action as the market has been consistently having a flash crash almost weekly (stocks lose more then half value in under a second). The circuit breakers aren't even fast enough to catch them. " Fortunately for most, the SEC will invalidate certain trades... But, that's not guaranteed to continue so you're taking extreme risk owning any equity.
I am not saying you are wrong, but what equities have had a "flash crash" in the past month? Are these larger name issues? I wouldn't count pink sheets and very thinly traded stocks in the "flash" crash category... they were volatile before HFT became dominant.

Quote:
"In the end, there's been 26 weeks of net outflows out of the market - more money has been coming out then going in (by a very wide margin) for the last 6 months straight..
I would say this is expected given the recession... older people will exit equities (most likely via mutual funds) as the risk rises and unemployed people (or people helping unemployed family/friends) continue to eat into whatever they had invested.

Quote:
The only reason the market appears "green" is becoming of churn (incredibly high volume between the computers) and, most importantly, the Fed is pumping 10s of billions of dollars directly in weekly. This is how they will inject that $600B over the next 6 months that they decided from the recent FOMC meeting. .
I thought the Fed was done with equity investment (past what was done during the bailouts) and that the 600B was going to be solely for US Treasuries... is there a listing of equity investments the Fed is holding / acquiring? Granted, buying T-Bills will force anyone chasing % return into equities since interest rates will fall across the board.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:44 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,722,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
If you were not in the stock market you missed a nice bull run, the S&P 500 index has gained 76 percent since bottoming out on March 9, 2009
Honestly, I don't track my investments to that detail, but yes, I bought a ton of shares when the major indexes bottomed out 2 yrs ago....

Old 11-08-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryTwist View Post
And -10% return over the last 2.5 years. It's easy to cherry pick dates to get certain results. Nasdaq is still at less than 50% of it's value from 2000. Nobody should be putting money into the stock market unless they know what is going on.

The stock market has fundamentally changed over the last few years. It's now a gambling machine being propped up directly by the Federal Reserve, Treasury and the PPT via the US Taxpayer. They are picking the winners and losers and in effect destroying the confidence. HFT programs are executing 100os of trades/hour and causing flash crashes which can't be explained easily and individuals don't stand a chance. Play there if you like but when they clean you out, you will know why.

This is why retail investors has been cashing OUT of the market for the last 1/2 year and more importantly why insiders have been selling off vs buying at the ration of 1000s to 1. This came out about a year ago. I suggest you start reading from here. Look for the term PPT and Plunge Protection.

Is The U.S. Government Buying Stocks? | zero hedge

I checked out that website and honestly, I'm VERY weary of any site that offers predictions that the market is going to collapse next month......so, I'll pass thank you.

I don't believe in the "this time its different" mantra for the stock market and its definitely benefitted me financially when everyone panicked and pulled money out of the major indexes and missed the bull run over the past 2 years.

Also, many older people lost way too much money because their portfolio was tilited too much toward equities when they should've had a majority of their money in cash/bonds.....now they don't have the time to recover. If you are a younger person and you stay the course, you have the benefit of time on your side...

Old 11-08-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
heh - definitely. Nobody with any significant footprint has money in the stock market. Real retail investors are long gone as they no longer can compete with the computer algorithms who insta trade very tiny margins. You can see this in action as the market has been consistently having a flash crash almost weekly (stocks lose more then half value in under a second). The circuit breakers aren't even fast enough to catch them. Fortunately for most, the SEC will invalidate certain trades... But, that's not guaranteed to continue so you're taking extreme risk owning any equity.

In the end, there's been 26 weeks of net outflows out of the market - more money has been coming out then going in (by a very wide margin) for the last 6 months straight. The only reason the market appears "green" is becoming of churn (incredibly high volume between the computers) and, most importantly, the Fed is pumping 10s of billions of dollars directly in weekly. This is how they will inject that $600B over the next 6 months that they decided from the recent FOMC meeting. It's so bad, in fact, that many high profile hedge funds are closing up shop and returning money to investors. They have nothing to "hedge" when the market is completely broken and not trading on fundamentals or any reasonable logic anymore. It's The Fed and the computers now.

It is an extremely dangerous time to be trading equities and "day trading" has been a long dead art. You sitting on your computer trying to trade this environment would be like bringing a pencil to a gun fight.
MK, I believe there are MAJOR differences between owning mutual funds for your long term retirement goals and day trading.

Many people disagree w/this because they were burnt so bad by the major market downturn 2 yrs ago.

As I said to CherryTwist in an earlier post, I might be on an island but I don't believe "this time its different". I will not overweight in bonds/gold/commodities for the next 20-30 years. I will continue to do what has kept me on tract for my retirement.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
I will not overweight in bonds/gold/commodities for the next 20-30 years.

I own a ton of Silver that I picked up at 13 and now Silver is trading at 27.64

Old 11-08-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
I own a ton of Silver that I picked up at 13 and now Silver is trading at 27.64
I'm glad that worked out for you, can you tell me what the price will be for that specific commodity in 10 years?

Investing for the long term w/a proven system is what I'm going with...it may not be "sexy" (its rather boring to dollar cost average and check your investments quarterly)...but it works.

There are many roads to Dublin.....

Old 11-08-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I'm glad that worked out for you, can you tell me what the price will be for that specific commodity in 10 years?

Don't know what it will do 10 years from now but I wouldn't be surprised to see Silver @ 100 dollars an ounce within the next 18 months. Silver is currently in blue sky territory so the sky is the limit(although expect some healthy pullbacks in between). I am also keeping my eye on Crude and if we break here I do think we may see 150 dollar a barrel again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte