Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 10:54 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,137,662 times

Advertisements

I went to macs speed shop and the big platter of ribs were so tough I could hardly chew them and the flavor wasnt that deep. Every time someone says BBQ someone always says Macs speed shop Macs speed shop. well people that KNOW real BBQ dont say its the best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 12:04 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,630,333 times
Real BBQ has been smoked/slow cooked soooooooo long it falls off the bone when you take a bite. The brisket is tender enough to cut with a dull butter knife. Real TExas BBQ's flavot=r comes from the cooking, not the sauce.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:15 PM

468 posts, read 826,760 times
Anyone remember Fat Willy's on I-85 near Sam Wilson Road?

They were here when I first moved to the Charlotte area about 31 years ago and they were my first introduction to southern BBQ.

I just loved their Brunswick stew and haven't found anything close to what they used to serve.

Too bad they eventually went out of business.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:34 PM

539 posts, read 1,498,289 times
I remember having Texas BBQ Brisket at Harpers a few yrs back. It was very good.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:38 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,222,859 times
I don't remember if they have brisket, but Old Hickory House on North Tryon has been around forever, and uses hickory (as one might expect) to cook all their meats. I eat there whenever I'm on that side of town, which is unfortunately not very often. Their Brunswick Stew is the only one I like. It's different than I've had at every other BBQ place.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:51 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,248,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I don't remember if they have brisket, but Old Hickory House on North Tryon has been around forever, and uses hickory (as one might expect) to cook all their meats. I eat there whenever I'm on that side of town, which is unfortunately not very often. Their Brunswick Stew is the only one I like. It's different than I've had at every other BBQ place.
Ill have to check that one out. Yeah I am looking for smoked beef BBQ (I love Brisket) not the vinegar based pork BBQ that seems popular around here. I'll also check out Bubba's as I have heard good things about it, though I am not sure if its the style I am looking for.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:53 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,762,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
For what its worth, R&R BBQ in Concord does a beef briskette on Fridays. There are plenty of places (Bubbas comes to mind) that do beef ribs. Also, one of my favorites, Carter Brothers BBQ in High Point does beef briskette regularly. However, I will admit that I have absolutely no idea what true Texas style BBQ is like, so I don't have any frame of reference for a comparison.
That's interesting about Bubba's. That is one of the only true BBQ enclaves in town since once you get the beef/pork thing down you still have to deal with the Lexington (ketchup) versus Eastern (vinegar) base. Bubba's does it right (Eastern) and you can probably figure out where my bias is.

We're too close to Lexington so a lot of stuff around here is tomato (ketchup) based.

Cook Out, the chain does have some good pork stuff if you need a quick fix though.

And make sure to check out the grit tree at Bubba's.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:56 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,762,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTraveler View Post

They were here when I first moved to the Charlotte area about 31 years ago and they were my first introduction to southern BBQ.

I just loved their Brunswick stew and haven't found anything close to what they used to serve.

"Brunswick stew" is usually a sign of Eastern NC style. Smithfield's is a good chain east of these parts. When I travel towards the coast I stop or a BBQ platter with Brunswick stew and potato salad. Hush puppies of course but that goes without mention.

Not sure there's a such a thing as Southern though. Those peeps in TN to the west and SC with their mustard and the dual minded NC. TX might consider themselves southern too.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:18 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,655,109 times
I ate lunch at Stameys BBQ in Greensboro about a month ago. I ordered a cup of Brunswick Stew to go with my BBQ. It's made from chicken, not pork. Weird, but still good. I'm definitely not used to that.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:26 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,222,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTraveler View Post

All the Brunswick stew I've had except for OHH is similar. It has lima beans, and sometimes potatoes, in it and is not really thick. OHH's has bread crumbs, tomatoes, pork, and corn in it. Maybe that's what you had at Fat Willy's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
For what its worth, R&R BBQ in Concord does a beef briskette on Fridays. There are plenty of places (Bubbas comes to mind) that do beef ribs. Also, one of my favorites, Carter Brothers BBQ in High Point does beef briskette regularly. However, I will admit that I have absolutely no idea what true Texas style BBQ is like, so I don't have any frame of reference for a comparison.
The owners of Old Hickory House are named Carter. The original guys were Bob and Gene. I wonder if there's a connection?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte