Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 07:40 PM

3 posts, read 4,544 times

Advertisements

I was under the impression being in a 12 month contract your rates can't increase? Since May of this year our bill has been 102 every month now for jan. They are trying to charge us 107 a month, anyone experience something similar to this? I know my dad went through hell with them over the years, he recently dropped them for direct tv. Anything I can do from a legal stand point? I briefly talked with a customer rep via chat, was gonna try again on the phone, gave me a bunch of crap .....

Isabel Diaz: The cost of doing business continues to increase.
Like other businesses we are feeling the effects of rising costs,
including fuel and energy costs, and increased costs of
programming and content. For the ninth year in a row we have seen
double digit increases in the license fees we pay to programming
networks. Dramatic increases in sports and broadcast programming
costs are by far the largest contributors to price increases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 07:57 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,959,040 times
I'm getting ready to drop their cable services & just keep Roadrunner.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:32 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,809,060 times
Do you actually have a contract that says that your price won't increase or is it just your presumption? I have heard about those contracts whereby prices won't increase, but wasn't sure if every 12 month contract had that as a provision.

What did the CSR say when you asked them??

Old 12-29-2010, 09:41 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,571,777 times
I dropped everything but basic cable over 5 years ago and I pay less than $15/month. It seemed like TWC went up every other month. I have found that I really don't miss most of the c*** on TV.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:47 PM

550 posts, read 1,356,098 times
Internet is the same way. It slowly goes up throughout the year. I heard complaining or asking nicely can lower your cost but these fees just come out of nowhere.

There's also the option of disconnecting and getting the service under another person's name and getting a discounted price for first time customers. Eventually you'll run out of people to use.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:41 AM

3 posts, read 4,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
Do you actually have a contract that says that your price won't increase or is it just your presumption? I have heard about those contracts whereby prices won't increase, but wasn't sure if every 12 month contract had that as a provision.

What did the CSR say when you asked them??
I am in a 12 month contract with them, I asked the rep and she said
"There is a standard increase in DVR service and internet"

I then asked can you show me where in my contract it listed this? She says...
"Internet and DVR service is not covered in this offer."

I then ask why the fee on my cable service was increased? She
says...
"There is a standard increase in all the services."

Old 12-30-2010, 07:37 AM

416 posts, read 928,280 times
I'm dropping cable next month. Bought a Seagate Theatre HD+ system ($50). Attached a $10 wireless dongle to it. Bought a $40 lifetime subscription to PlayOn so I can stream Hulu to my TV. Between the over the air signal, and Hulu, I figure I can still have most of what I enjoyed without a monthly cable bill. I'll keep Road Runner. I'll miss watching live sports (will have to stream on the computer or go to a bar), but its not worth the cost just for sports.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:19 AM

459 posts, read 699,380 times
Have you checked what increased? Sometime the cable rate might stay the same but FCC fees or taxes changes

Old 12-30-2010, 08:36 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,655,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
I'm dropping cable next month. Bought a Seagate Theatre HD+ system ($50). Attached a $10 wireless dongle to it. Bought a $40 lifetime subscription to PlayOn so I can stream Hulu to my TV. Between the over the air signal, and Hulu, I figure I can still have most of what I enjoyed without a monthly cable bill. I'll keep Road Runner. I'll miss watching live sports (will have to stream on the computer or go to a bar), but its not worth the cost just for sports.
You can also stream Netflix - they're now offering (or will soon) the option to have only live streaming, with no DVDs to mail, for $7.99/month. We watch more movies now through Netflix streaming than just about any other service; we connect through my son's XBOX360.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:31 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,021,045 times
Without seeing the bills to compare them, it is hard to say. It may not have been a rate increase on TW's side at all, it could be tax increase that they have no control over. Also, the 2yr contract agreement does make a step increase upon 1 yr of age, I believe is about $5 per service? The best thing you can do is take last month and this months bill, put them side by side and compare the prices to see what increased. Also, were there any changes with your service over the past month?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte