Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2011, 09:40 AM

8 posts, read 21,079 times

Advertisements

I can't remember the last time I paid someone to do my taxes for me, I've been doing mine and others' taxes using turbotax or something similar to it for years.

I was blown away when my best friend told me that she got back thousands more than me last year and she has NO children...I have 3. She and her husband had only been married for less than a year, and they went to a professional tax preparer who apparently knows all the tax rules. I mean, she asked them things like if they bought glasses, etc.

Problem is (or not) that the tax preparer was in Florida. Does anyone have any personal experience with an awesome preparer who is experienced in getting the maximum refund here in CLT? I remember the one time I tried HR Block and they actually got me less than what I was due and I had to file for an amended tax return. Not to speak for the whole entity itself, but I not too keen on giving them my business no matter how many tempting commercials I see. Thanks for any input.

Or, would I be able to use a tax preparer that is out of state? Just curious...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 10:55 AM

595 posts, read 1,622,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINKIESO8 View Post
I was blown away when my best friend told me that she got back thousands more than me last year and she has NO children...I have 3. She and her husband had only been married for less than a year, and they went to a professional tax preparer who apparently knows all the tax rules. I mean, she asked them things like if they bought glasses, etc.
Just because they got thousands back doesn't mean it was LEGAL.

Furthermore, without knowing your friends circumstances (income, home owners status, W4, etc) there are hundreds of things that could make them get a big return besides who did their taxes.

Just for your information:
You can deduct eyeglass & other medical expenses, but only the medical care expenses for the year that exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:33 PM

415 posts, read 1,149,875 times
I was thinking something else when I read "knockout tax preparer". Not too many of THOSE around, I suspect.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:59 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
As a former public accountant (now in private industry) , I can honestly say that if you have been using turbotax, stick with it..... You would be wasting your money on a professional paid tax preparer if your tax situation is fairly simple.... ie Married, 3 kids, home, w-2, a few itemized deductions... etc...

I would be highly suspect of your friend's anecdotal information. It could just mean that both her and her spouse now are filing jointly and getting one large refund instead of two refunds, so it SEEMED bigger to her...... Also they could be not adjusting their W-4's each year and giving the government free loans by having too much withheld on paychecks.

It can get beneficial when you have complex transactions, rental properties, small business, gift tax issues, and other more complex transactions. Then you would need a paid preparer.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:31 AM

841 posts, read 1,431,454 times
I first thought you said, "Can anyone knock out a tax preparer?"

LOL

Old 01-15-2011, 08:39 AM

19 posts, read 30,573 times
Too bad you did not get any useful replies as I am looking for one myself. I have used someone I think is pretty good but his prices seem to be on the higher side compared to someone who was also very good but stopped using after an out-of-state move. I need help with rental property tax forms, preparing some W-2s for household help, and stuff like that so I am not sure if TurboTax is the right move for me.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:45 AM

91 posts, read 192,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfort Food View Post
I was thinking something else when I read "knockout tax preparer". Not too many of THOSE around, I suspect.
Same here was wondering why is wasn't posted in the relationship forum..

Old 01-17-2011, 04:13 PM

841 posts, read 2,474,819 times
I used a lady last year for the first time..she was referred to me by a co-worker. Not sure if she was a "knockout" tax preparer, but she was good. Professional, timely and she knew her stuff. DM me if you're still looking for someone and I will give you her information.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:54 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINKIESO8 View Post
I can't remember the last time I paid someone to do my taxes for me, I've been doing mine and others' taxes using turbotax or something similar to it for years.

I used Turbo tax last year for the first time, and I remember them asking information about work related expenses (such as gas, or work clothes) and educational expenses. I'm sure there was also information on any medical expense deductions.

I actually had tried Turbo Tax after my tax preparer (family member) informed me that I owed money to the government. I've never owed anything before, so I was shocked to hear that I would need to pay hundreds of dollars for my taxes. So I checked it out myself using their free online service, and figured out that I would actually be getting money back for my federal taxes, although I did somehow owe state taxes.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:41 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,653,855 times
Actually, I have preferred using Turbotax, I went to one of those professionals, and I didnt get close to the return I got with TT. Ive never gone back since...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte