Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 08:12 AM

716 posts, read 1,544,476 times

Advertisements

Also I don't know about anyone else but I installed 4 of these CFL's in my bathroom when I first moved here(18 months ago) and I had two bulbs burn out on me a few weeks ago and the other two are somewhat dark at the base of the bulb which tells me that they are on their last legs. I haven't changed them yet but when I do I will be going back to the regular light bulbs. These bulbs are rated at 8000 hours and I estimate the runtime at about 1 hour per day but with 8-10 on cycles per day. Occasionally I am also gone for a week or so when I travel so the bulb isn't being used. So in reality I only got about 500 hours out of these bulbs. I expected much more out of these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 10:26 AM

171 posts, read 357,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
Duke Energy sent me a box of 15 of these bulbs for free.
Duke Energy cares.

- DIG!

Old 01-11-2011, 10:43 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,843,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggums View Post
The benefits of these lightbulbs are one of the many farces of the environmental movement - which can only exist if participants in the movement perpetrate fraud after fraud and the sheeple suspend their disbelief. They are much more dangerous and pollute the earth much more than the old style bulbs. Its not even debatable.

Its kind of like how plastic grocery bags were going to save the planet and instead are ruining the planet. We now know that paper bags are much better overall for the environment than the paper bags.

I won't ever use these lightbulbs, except in outdoor lighting. Don't want them in my home.

- DIG!
Popular Mechanics ran the math, and even if every CF bulb broke and released all its mercury into the environment, they would still on average result in less mercury released, because US energy mainly comes from burning coal which releases mercury into the atmosphere. CF bulbs require less coal to be burned, and result in less mercury released, than using a traditional incandescent bulb.

If you recycle the CF bulbs safely, there is even further less mercury released.

Compact Fluorescent Bulbs and Mercury: Reality Check - Popular Mechanics

Quote:
Approximately 0.0234 mg of mercury—plus carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxide—releases into the air per 1 kwh of electricity that a coal-fired power plant generates. Over the 7500-hour average range of one CFL, then, a plant will emit 13.16 mg of mercury to sustain a 75-watt incandescent bulb but only 3.51 mg of mercury to sustain a 20-watt CFL (the lightning equivalent of a 75-watt traditional bulb). Even if the mercury contained in a CFL was directly released into the atmosphere, an incandescent would still contribute 4.65 more milligrams of mercury into the environment over its lifetime.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:43 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,377,361 times
Quote:
Duke Energy cares.

- DIG!
Ya' think??!! LOL!! Thank You Duke Energy for the little balls of glass filled with a deadly substance. God forbid I break one, I'll need to call Hazmat to clean it up!!

Old 01-11-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Popular Mechanics ran the math, and even if every CF bulb broke and released all its mercury into the environment, they would still on average result in less mercury released, because US energy mainly comes from burning coal which releases mercury into the atmosphere. CF bulbs require less coal to be burned, and result in less mercury released, than using a traditional incandescent bulb.

If you recycle the CF bulbs safely, there is even further less mercury released.

Compact Fluorescent Bulbs and Mercury: Reality Check - Popular Mechanics
It isn't clear where all of the information they report comes from. They do cite the EPA in one paragraph. The EPA has an axe to grind as its full of disgusting liberal eco-types and has always been very biased in anything it gets involved in.

- DIG!

Old 01-11-2011, 12:13 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,193,931 times
Quote:
It isn't clear where all of the information they report comes from. They do cite the EPA in one paragraph. The EPA has an axe to grind as its full of disgusting liberal eco-types and has always been very biased in anything it gets involved in.

- DIG!
What a load of tripe.

Do tell us diggum, which esteemed source do you get *your* data from? Moonbat.com?

Old 01-11-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
What a load of tripe.

Do tell us diggum, which esteemed source do you get *your* data from? Moonbat.com?

Yeah, right.

Here is an interesting article about CFLs.

The Truth About CFLs: Compact Fluorescent Bulbs

- DIG!

Old 01-11-2011, 12:51 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Yeah, right.

Here is an interesting article about CFLs.

The Truth About CFLs: Compact Fluorescent Bulbs

- DIG!
ROFLMAO!!!

That article says that you need a light fixture that is rated for cf bulbs. That's interesting since I use them in 2 lamps given to my parents when they got married in 1950.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:37 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,463,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
Also I don't know about anyone else but I installed 4 of these CFL's in my bathroom when I first moved here(18 months ago) and I had two bulbs burn out on me a few weeks ago and the other two are somewhat dark at the base of the bulb which tells me that they are on their last legs. I haven't changed them yet but when I do I will be going back to the regular light bulbs. These bulbs are rated at 8000 hours and I estimate the runtime at about 1 hour per day but with 8-10 on cycles per day. Occasionally I am also gone for a week or so when I travel so the bulb isn't being used. So in reality I only got about 500 hours out of these bulbs. I expected much more out of these.
We've had the EXACT same experience with these bulbs. None have lasted near as long as some of the long life regular bulbs we bought. Not even close.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
ROFLMAO!!!

That article says that you need a light fixture that is rated for cf bulbs. That's interesting since I use them in 2 lamps given to my parents when they got married in 1950.
ROFLMAO!!! You must not have read the article close enough!!!

- DIG!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte