Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 08:37 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
When do you come back to Charlotte??
I'm hoping to be there in about 3 months. Our house won't be ready till probably Spring. I guess we'll have to rent till then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2006, 07:34 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,841 times
The flight here was uneventful ... peaceful even. Shorter flying time than estimated. Going through Newark Airport was even painless.

We've explored north of Charlotte (lots of recommendations to consider Huntersivlle from people we've met), Matthews, the Rock Hill area and much of Union County.

We even ate at Big Daddy's last night but was disappointed ... the food and service was mediocre at best.

My family is blown away by the number of people who come up to us and speak. We've had several invitations to churches (we don't attend but are not offended by the invites), folks have offered to show us around, people take time to talk to you in line instead of glaring. It's overwhelming. My fiancee is more of a people person than myself and he is loving every moment. The kindness is from locals and transplants alike.

We have fallen in love with Union County, Monroe specifically. We were going to check out two homes in Wingate but were advised not to ... a couple of people thought our family might not be so comfortable there.

We are going back to look at three homes in Monroe tomorrow with a Realtor. My family is very, very excited and very, very shocked/impressed at what $200K can buy.

Wish us luck!

SL

Old 08-25-2006, 07:37 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,836,150 times
Good Luck! hope you find the one!

Old 08-25-2006, 07:45 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,547,554 times
Quote:
The flight here was uneventful ... peaceful even. Shorter flying time than estimated. Going through Newark Airport was even painless.

We've explored north of Charlotte (lots of recommendations to consider Huntersivlle from people we've met), Matthews, the Rock Hill area and much of Union County.

We even ate at Big Daddy's last night but was disappointed ... the food and service was mediocre at best.

My family is blown away by the number of people who come up to us and speak. We've had several invitations to churches (we don't attend but are not offended by the invites), folks have offered to show us around, people take time to talk to you in line instead of glaring. It's overwhelming. My fiancee is more of a people person than myself and he is loving every moment. The kindness is from locals and transplants alike.

We have fallen in love with Union County, Monroe specifically. We were going to check out two homes in Wingate but were advised not to ... a couple of people thought our family might not be so comfortable there.

We are going back to look at three homes in Monroe tomorrow with a Realtor. My family is very, very excited and very, very shocked/impressed at what $200K can buy.

Wish us luck!

SL

Where is Big Daddy's and what type of food do they serve?

My wife was interviewing with Union County Public schools for SLP a couple days ago- UCPS is HQ'd in Monroe (or at least many of the buildings are there). My daughter and I were driving around Monroe looking for a McDonalds waiting for the interview to end (yes I know...I saw super-size me), anyway we couldn't find one (an interestring experience). We decided to give one of the little eateries a try. I was a little hesistant when you look into a place and not see other customers, but being a small biz guy myself, I decided to put that bit of superstition behind me. Glad we did as the people were very nice, the food was good (even suggesting a grilled cheese sandwich which was not on the menu for my daughter who vetoed everything else). Even brought the food to our table and some stuff for her to color along with crayons. Seems like the owners daughter who was about my daughters age socialized a bit. Anyway the only downside is that we came back around 4pm to get my wife something to eat (after the interview was over) and they were closed- LOL.

To be fair, I had a similar experience this morning at a breakfast resturaunt in Indian Trail. It was more geared towards blue collar folks who needed to get in and get out (i.e., truckers, HVAC, etc.). The service/food wasn't bad, just nothing to write home about....but we'd go back again...

Old 08-25-2006, 07:47 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,836,150 times
Big Daddy's is on Mooresville Exit 36 take a left if you heading north onI-77

Mostly seafood.

Old 08-25-2006, 08:25 PM

Quote:

Wish us luck!

SL

Oh that's a bummer Sorry you didn't like Big Daddy's. I'll have to try it again when we go back, maybe I'll was just hungry the first time.

Glad you had a nice flight and are enjoying NC. Good luck I hope you find that special home

Old 08-25-2006, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
Oh that's a bummer Sorry you didn't like Big Daddy's. I'll have to try it again when we go back, maybe I'll was just hungry the first time.

Glad you had a nice flight and are enjoying NC. Good luck I hope you find that special home
Sorry I meant to put a sad face on that's a bummer not confused

Old 08-27-2006, 06:26 AM

Headed to catch plane shortly. We put in our offer late yesterday, response due by Monday 11 AM. This process is new to us, Realtor asked us what we were comfortable with ... I honestly thought the seller was asking fair price. Home is in beautiful condition, landscaping absolutely gorgeous. When she compared it to other sales in the general area, it seemed on par, although there had been no recent sales (good sign) in the immediate neighborhood. So, I told Realtor I wanted to make a solid offer, want them to know we are serious. We also left a decent amount of earnest money. She told us to anticipate a counteroffer, which is fine, because even at full listing price, we want this home.

Now, the home IS in a subdivision. After looking around I figured out what bothered me so much about these new subdivisions ... all the homes look alike, immature landscaping, there are too many houses, the lots are too tiny and everyone is newcomers. Why move to NC if I am only going to be surrounded by other folks from Jersey?

Well, these homes are older, built in the 70s, there are less than 20 homes in the subdivision, it sits right alongside a traditional neighborhood, no HOA fees and the lots are between 1 and 2 acres (we are sttill reeling at the thought of owning land, space!!!!!). The neighborhood is beautiful, and full of character. The sellers of our home have been there for 25 years, are native North Carolinans, are downsizing. They have taken care of their home meticulously. We had an opportunity to talk to two other families in the subdivision, they have also been there for 15 and 18 years respectively, and were born in NC. They expressed sadness at losing their current neighbors but said they were open to "new blood." They were soooo incredibly warm.

We are very, very excited. I don't know how I'll ever sleep tonight.

Hugs.

SL

Old 08-27-2006, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Headed to catch plane shortly. We put in our offer late yesterday, response due by Monday 11 AM. This process is new to us, Realtor asked us what we were comfortable with ... I honestly thought the seller was asking fair price. Home is in beautiful condition, landscaping absolutely gorgeous. When she compared it to other sales in the general area, it seemed on par, although there had been no recent sales (good sign) in the immediate neighborhood. So, I told Realtor I wanted to make a solid offer, want them to know we are serious. We also left a decent amount of earnest money. She told us to anticipate a counteroffer, which is fine, because even at full listing price, we want this home.

Now, the home IS in a subdivision. After looking around I figured out what bothered me so much about these new subdivisions ... all the homes look alike, immature landscaping, there are too many houses, the lots are too tiny and everyone is newcomers. Why move to NC if I am only going to be surrounded by other folks from Jersey?

Well, these homes are older, built in the 70s, there are less than 20 homes in the subdivision, it sits right alongside a traditional neighborhood, no HOA fees and the lots are between 1 and 2 acres (we are sttill reeling at the thought of owning land, space!!!!!). The neighborhood is beautiful, and full of character. The sellers of our home have been there for 25 years, are native North Carolinans, are downsizing. They have taken care of their home meticulously. We had an opportunity to talk to two other families in the subdivision, they have also been there for 15 and 18 years respectively, and were born in NC. They expressed sadness at losing their current neighbors but said they were open to "new blood." They were soooo incredibly warm.

We are very, very excited. I don't know how I'll ever sleep tonight.

Hugs.

SL

Oh my gosh! You work fast like me. I am soooo excited for you. Let us know how it goes. Wishing you the best of luck. Sounds like you have found your dream home

Old 08-28-2006, 06:20 AM

When it feels right, go for it.

I was soooo restless last night, thinking about our move and how much work transitioning our two boys is going to be!

But I remain ecstatic.

Thank you sincerely for the well wishes.

SL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte