Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 06:43 PM

69 posts, read 277,662 times

Advertisements

Just trying to spread the word a new charter school opening next year. This fall the school will have 100 6th graders--20 kids per class. It uses a Padeia philosophy, which means hands-on activities, projects, and discussions rather than just lectures. According to the website, the school "will provide a balanced and comprehensive liberal arts curriculum with a particular focus on civic education and the humanities disciplines of history, literature, and the arts." Best of all, it's a charter school, which means it's FREE!

There is a website at www.charlottesecondary.org and they will be holding information sessions at various libraries this month. There are still openings!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 06:47 PM

928 posts, read 3,853,445 times
Is this going to be a middle/high school based charter school.

There is a charter school where I live that started with K - 3 and added a grade per year.

I will check it out. Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:56 PM

I should have mentionned that the charter school will add grades until it is 6-12. The middle school will be a Paidaia program, the upper school will be a college prep program.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 7,684 times
The charter school sounds interesting. Are there any public information sessions where I could find out more?

Old 06-24-2007, 01:43 PM

Yes, there are a bunch of information sessions and also some tours.

Information Sessions:
*Sunday, June 24 at 4pm at Morrison Regional Library, 7015 Morrison Blvd.
*Thursday, June 28 at 7pm at Independence Library, 6015 Conference Drive.
*Tuesday, July 17 at 7pm at Plaza-Midwood Library, 1623 Central Ave.

Tours of the school (8310 McAlpine Park Drive):
*Tuesday, July 10 at 7pm
*Thursday, July 12 at 7pm

For more information contact Principal Patrick Chang at 704-778-0137 or www.charlottesecondary.org for more info. Or just come!

Old 08-05-2007, 01:36 PM

There are still spots available at Charlotte Secondary School. If you are interested in finding out more, here's the latest email from the school. My 6th grader will be going there this fall so we've been to other events there. It's going to be a very active, friendly group of caring people.

Theresa

We are getting closer to the start of the school year for Charlotte Secondary. We’d like to invite you to our upcoming family picnic on August 11, 2007 at 3:00PM. The picnic will be held in the barn located next to our campus at 8310 McAlpine Park Drive, Charlotte, NC 28211.

Please bring a picnic lunch and a blanket, Charlotte Secondary will provide drinks and desserts. We are looking forward to seeing each of you and providing the opportunity for enrolled students to meet fellow students, and for those who may be interested in enrolling to learn more about the School.

Please feel free to bring a friend, any one who might be interested in attending CSS, or even just to take a look at our new school.

At 4:00 PM, families will have the opportunity to network and families of enrolled students will be able to establish a transportation plan according to residing areas. Each classroom will be designated to a specific Charlotte geographical area (i.e, Northeast, South). This will also be the opportunity for parents of enrolled students to inform the school of their final transportation arrangements and to complete any outstanding paperwork.

Enrollment forms will also be available for families wishing to enroll.

Thank you for being part of our learning community, we’ll see you Saturday.

Patrick Chang, Principal

Jeremy Spielman, Program Coordinator

Old 01-28-2009, 07:27 PM

11 posts, read 60,413 times
Charlotte Secondary School does provide a very unique, safe, challenging curriculum. Definitely look into it. Those people out there have worked hard to create a new school, and to be so well established after just 2 years is awesome!

Old 06-18-2009, 06:42 PM

2 posts, read 12,626 times
My son was accepted to CSS for the upcoming school year. Can anyone give me some insight into the school. The school was listed as a priortiy school, with 50% of the students peforming at or below grade level. If anyone has a child enrolled there I would like to know your opinion of the school.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:18 PM

2 posts, read 12,626 times
Default Charlotte secondary school

Just wanted some info on Charlotte Sceondary School. My son has been accepted there for this year and wanted to know the opinion of parents who have children attending there. I know that test scores are not always an indication of the performance of the school. Are the children challenged academically and more important are the children happy and thriving in the school ? Need to hear from the parents..... HELP !! :-)

Old 08-21-2009, 09:03 AM

32 posts, read 94,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlemom47 View Post
Just wanted some info on Charlotte Sceondary School. My son has been accepted there for this year and wanted to know the opinion of parents who have children attending there. I know that test scores are not always an indication of the performance of the school. Are the children challenged academically and more important are the children happy and thriving in the school ? Need to hear from the parents..... HELP !! :-)
I am not sure how well children are doing, but my child was accepted last year for 7th grade and I changed my mind and put him in the public school, but I think I may bring him to the school this year if the transportation (carpool) can be worked out. I don't like the EOG process in the public school. If your child has grades of A &B the entire school year and no behaviorial problems, but does not test strongly on EOG then you are put in a low level EC class. (not acceptable)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: