Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 07:39 AM

109 posts, read 349,877 times

Advertisements

ncopus99 - I have to disagree with you, as I worked for a number of franchised restaurants and "most" owners were not actively involved in the day-over-day operations. Most owned multiple operations and spent most of their time on the behind the scene business side, not in the restaurant.

Yes, I agree that Chic-Fil-A does an excellent job - the best in the area from a FAST FOOD standpoint. Yet, to say Showmars food is garbage, especially when compared to Chic-Fil-A, is a little over the top. I''ve stopped ordering waffle fries at Chic-Fil-A as they've been undercooked and soggy on mutiple visits. They also leave me with a metallic taste from the bitterness of the potato skin. The original chicken sandwich is outstanding.

I guess if eveyone felt the way you do about Showmars, they wouldn't have a line out the door most weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 08:01 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,451,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhclt44 View Post
ncopus99 - I have to disagree with you, as I worked for a number of franchised restaurants and "most" owners were not actively involved in the day-over-day operations. Most owned multiple operations and spent most of their time on the behind the scene business side, not in the restaurant.
I guess my area of town (Fort Mill) has more active owners.

Quote:
I guess if eveyone felt the way you do about Showmars, they wouldn't have a line out the door most weekends.
My Taco Bell has a line out the door during lunch and dinner hours and I wouldn't call it quality food. Some people purchase food because it is cheaper than competitors; that is my feeling with Showmars. I have only been there once (the Arrowood location) and I will never go back. The food was really really bad.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:06 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
Price's Chicken Coup
The Indian Restaurant in Corneilus
Latta Plantation Park
Mountain Island Lake
Gary's BBQ in China Grove
The Virginia Creeper Bike Trail (Galax Va, 3 hours or maybe longer, it don't matter) (Best time you will ever spend)

Old 02-19-2011, 09:58 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,451,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Price's Chicken Coup
The Indian Restaurant in Corneilus
Latta Plantation Park
Mountain Island Lake
Gary's BBQ in China Grove
The Virginia Creeper Bike Trail (Galax Va, 3 hours or maybe longer, it don't matter) (Best time you will ever spend)
I have been meaning to get down to Price's. The absense of seating has been one reason we have yet to get down there. Is there a safe park or any place near there that you could eat it comfortably?

Old 02-19-2011, 11:52 AM

109 posts, read 349,877 times
Price's is a landmark - best if eaten while the chicken is still hot with the crispy skin, and the meat is still moist and juicy. Ah, it's making my mouth water.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:40 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,780 times
Well, you obviously like it!

But we don't. You can argue it's merits, but it is the food that will bring people back or keep folks away.....we choose to stay away.

Now, we did like 521 BBQ! That I believe is local.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhclt44 View Post
Here is what I like about Showmars - from someone who worked in the industry for over 20 years and holds a degree in the field. We frequent the 521 location near Indian Land.

Keep in mind, we are talking FAST CASUAL food with most items in the $5-$8 range.

1. Locally owned

2. The manager is also an owner - not like most national chains where most managers don't care as much as long as they keep getting a paycheck and maybe some bonus money. Even a number of other locally owned restaurants have very little owner interaction or involvement.

3. The employees actually seem to care about doing a good job - I don't see a lot of "long faces" as I often experience when even at higher-end restaurants. The teamwork is also excellent.

4. I've never been told "no or we don't do that." If I've asked to substitute a item, such as add lettuce or tomato, they make my request and don't need to "check with someone" to see if it's OK.

5. My order is usually at the table before I can even get my coat off, even on a weekend night when there is a line out the door. Heck, I've been to two full service sit-down restaurants in Southpark within the last month and it took 45 minutes for my orders and they both were completely wrong and lukewarm at best.

6. The food it hot and fresh. I usually have to let my food cool down.

7. Most visits a manager will actually stop by and ask how everything is. Drink refills offered freely.

It's the "little" things that the perceived high-end snobbish restaurants can't even get right anymore. When that Gyro and crispy hot crinkle-cut french fry craving hits, I'm off to Showmars - I know what I'm getting and I haven't been disappointed.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:56 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
I have been meaning to get down to Price's. The absense of seating has been one reason we have yet to get down there. Is there a safe park or any place near there that you could eat it comfortably?
Just get it, I thought it was all take out. Eat in your car. Or drive somewhere where you are comfortable. I always got if with guys from work at noon. Never a problem.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:59 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,127,552 times
I've lived here 44 years and have never eaten at Price's but I've driven by there or seen it from the Lynx rail and the line is always out the door. Maybe one day I will take it upon myself to go there.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:33 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,780 times
I haven't been to Price's either, although I do see they serve gizzards! Does anyone eat that?

Just a note I did see on their menu.....they do NOT take debit or credit, so make sure you have cash on hand!

Dawn

Old 02-20-2011, 08:40 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,452,390 times
Plaza Midwood and Noda are some areas that I think many newer residents are missing out on. Great restaurants and shops in those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte