Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 09:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,935 times

Advertisements

We've been homeschooling our 3 for the past 4 years and LOVE it. Occasionally we worry if we're providing them with everything they're going to need down the road (college, jobs, etc) but then we get together with friends who have kids in school and we realize ours are normally a few steps ahead of them in learning.
Our youngest son has learning problems so homeschooling is a great way to make sure he doesn't get left behind or shoved in the back of a classroom somewhere. I can take as much time as needed with him to help him find a way of learning things his way.
Once you start, you realize there's learning in everything you do every day from cooking to grocery shopping and paying bills.
We love taking "field trips" to the local science centers, museums, or even just walking nature trails. We stay up late to watch meteor showers. There's other times we're sitting at a table with a pencil, book, and paper. There's so many ways you can teach your children and help them learn. I personally think its a great experience.
At times it can be demanding when you may just want a day to yourself but those are the days I look back at their baby pictures and realize how fast time flies and how lucky I am to be able to spend the majority of my time with the 3 people who mean most to me in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 09:43 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobosCurse View Post
My first thought was "How are you going to teach physics and calculus and biology lab?"
When our kids were younger, my wife taught Latin I & II at one of the local 'co-op' places (few hrs 3 days a week).
Many parents can teach the basics from a teacher's edition of a textbook, but the 'co-op' can offer instruction on an á la carte basis for subjects beyond the parents' ability.

Last edited by mullman; 03-01-2011 at 09:53 AM..

Old 03-01-2011, 02:07 PM

748 posts, read 1,770,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
When our kids were younger, my wife taught Latin I & II at one of the local 'co-op' places (few hrs 3 days a week).
Many parents can teach the basics from a teacher's edition of a textbook, but the 'co-op' can offer instruction on an á la carte basis for subjects beyond the parents' ability.

What about classes that would normally require equipment (chemistry, biology, etc.)?

Old 03-01-2011, 02:37 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Quote:
What about classes that would normally require equipment (chemistry, biology, etc.)?
This was a few years ago, but the co-op my wife taught at part-time had facilities and lab equipment.
Students could go full or part-time purchasing classes á la carte.

It was a pretty interesting concept that I never knew existed.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:52 PM

443 posts, read 1,257,449 times
Fully agree with LovesMountains. We homeschooled for awhile. Our son was BUSIER being homeschooled then when in school! We did most work in the mornings and early afternoons. This left ample time for scouts, sports, church activities, homeschool enrichment classes, etc. He even took various water sport lessons at the white water center. I used a homeschooling 'school' that helped me put together curriculum and graded quarterly work (I wanted an objective evaluator of some things). Also, Njoy Science is a great homeschooling science enrichment service...classes for all grades and ages.
The downside? Even with all the things my son was in he did miss the constant social interaction at school. But, he is a super social kids. Also, I was tired. But when I look back on it, I spend no more time homeschooling than I do monitoring homework and running around to stores getting stuff for project now!

Two more things...Children's Theater in Charlotte is great. They have a have hs drama classes. In addition, your kids can usher (volunteer)for school hour plays and thus do community service, see the plays for free and make use of Imaginon when done. Also, Charlotte Sports Center in N. Charlotte has a good hs PE class. Through these things, you will meet lots of homeschooled kids.

Give it a shot. Maybe homeschool the rest of this year. You can alway return to school. Believe me, hs for a semester will not harm your kids. There are lots of homeschoolers around here...with reason.

Taben

Old 03-01-2011, 06:06 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
We homeschool on the South end. The sheer numbers of homeschoolers in this area is amazing. We find ourselves saying no to things more than saying yes because we just can't do it all.

If you DM me I can put you in touch with a gal who is VERY helpful to new homeschoolers to the area. We have a Yahoo group too.

I am not going to argue the benefits or detriments of homeschooling. I worked as a high school teacher and school guidance counselor for 17 years....I am well aware of the pros and cons of hsing and public schooling and I am not anti either one, each family needs to make choices to best benefit their own members. For us, right now, this is the right choice.

Dawn

Old 03-03-2011, 01:51 AM

443 posts, read 1,257,449 times
Default Science and Homeschooling

Quote:
Had we continued to homeschool, we would have used Njoy Science nJoy Science - Home School Science Education. This is a company that teaches elem-high school science classes. They have lab equipment. The husband and wife team, as I recall, have Masters degrees in some science field and their company teaches science to homeschool kids.
Some classes, like high level science, need labs and, in my opinion, doing those labs with others under the direction of a trained person is beneficial.
My husband has an MBA and was a Engineering major. He had math covered.

I promise you...one dedicated parent who is willing to look for resources and help can get done what a college graduate teacher with 40+ kids tries to do in a classroom. Just be willing to outsource a couple of things (just as you would be hiring a tutor when your child's homework surpasses your ability) and you will be fine.

For those who have never considered homeschooling, teaching one's child at home seems an odd concept. For those who homeschool, sending kids off at 6:00am to travel on a school bus with rowdy kids and sit in classrooms where one teacher is expected to meet the needs of 30 children seems odd. Having been in both worlds, I find neither is perfect...but both meet the needs of certain children and families.

Taben

Old 03-04-2011, 06:44 AM

748 posts, read 1,770,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taben View Post

I promise you...one dedicated parent who is willing to look for resources and help can get done what a college graduate teacher with 40+ kids tries to do in a classroom.

Taben

That's awesome. Thanks for the encouragement. My wife is ready to pull them out right now, we're so disgusted with the schools. But I told her we need more research and more resources. By the time August rolls around we should know what we need to know.

A guy from work is coming over for dinner tomorrow. They've been homeschooling for about 3 years and they're going to share their experience with us.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:21 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
Bobo, just for reference...received a text from my niece in Rockford....they are closing 6 schools there, too. My niece & her husband are looking to get out of there, too as the Montessori school that has helped their son so much is also on the chopping block. They are thinking of moving back to the city as my niece has the possibility of a job with WGN.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:58 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,651,845 times
Quote:
That's awesome. Thanks for the encouragement. My wife is ready to pull them out right now, we're so disgusted with the schools. But I told her we need more research and more resources. By the time August rolls around we should know what we need to know.

A guy from work is coming over for dinner tomorrow. They've been homeschooling for about 3 years and they're going to share their experience with us.
That's great, that you have that resource!

One thing to consider, is if your wife is home now, there's no reason you can't go ahead and fill out the paperwork and bring them home.

There is a process called "de-schooling", which is basically time for the kids to destress, and find themselves again. It looks like summer vacation! With no pressure, no thought of books or classes - just free time to enjoy time together, doing things you want to do.

It wouldn't be negligent; it's an investment.

It's a phrase used mostly by unschoolers, but I believe the process is still very valuable, even if you're going to homeschool with a curriculum. Your kids will not miss out on anything at all, and your family will gain a whole lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte