Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 03:58 PM

25 posts, read 40,884 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was wondering if anyone would like to share your experience with moving down south. My husband has a chance to relocate down there for a better job. Unfortunately I have to give up my job which I have been with for 12 years and I can't complain about the pay. We don't like the weather here, of course no one does but we own a house and our taxes are crazy. Every year we make less because of the taxes. I have been to Myrtle Beach alot of times, even got married there but I don't have alot of experience with North Carolina. My brother in law relocated there and loves it but I will be leaving my family behind for a few years until retirement. Thank you to all for sharing your stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 05:53 AM

109 posts, read 349,877 times
Upstate NY has wonderful people and you can't beat the late Spring to early Fall weather. Besides that and not being "down the street from family," I wouldn't move back without some kicking and screaming.

We've been here 12 years, though from Northern NY not Upstate. For us, the family issue is mssi more the weekend get togethers that you miss. Otherwise, to be frank, we probably see more of our familes living 13 hours away than we did when we lived an hour away. We have extended company and we tend to travel back and visit 2-3 weeks a year.

It did take some time to adjust, yet in Charlotte, especially SE Charlotte is a melting pot with many Upstate and Northern NY'ers.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:16 AM

104 posts, read 309,204 times
I went to SUNY Geneseo and we have a great Alum network. I do not know a single person that would go back.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:54 AM

Thank you, I'm pretty nervous about moving so far away.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:03 PM

985 posts, read 1,901,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atwl1011 View Post
I went to SUNY Geneseo and we have a great Alum network. I do not know a single person that would go back.
My husband grew up in Geneseo

Old 03-12-2011, 08:05 PM

170 posts, read 286,687 times
from Rochester area-

Pluses- better winters, lower taxes, a growing city with many young families.

Minuses- Much more emphasis on religion here, it does take time to adjust, not nearly as scenic, much weaker public schools, summers are so hot that it is hard to be outdoors all day, and NO good grocery stores!!!

Old 03-13-2011, 06:49 AM

286 posts, read 946,394 times
From Utica NY. I have been here for 4 years now, this is now my home.I do miss family but we arrange our times together.I dont miss the average snow fall of over 130 inches a year,i dont miss the clouds and cold,there is never enough sun up there.
when you come ,there is welcoming sunshine,wonderful southern people, you still get an occasional rude yankee,which also is a gentle reminder why i came to charlotte.

Give yourself time to adapt,you will get homesick,that is normal.For me i chose to move here, when someone is relocated here, then these people find more negative than positive.

Good luck,and once you are here it seems there are more yankees than southern people here.So come on down and get yourself some (SWEET TEA) NOT ICED TEA ,and enjoy charlotte

Old 03-13-2011, 08:48 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray42 View Post
From Utica NY. I have been here for 4 years now, this is now my home.I do miss family but we arrange our times together.I dont miss the average snow fall of over 130 inches a year,i dont miss the clouds and cold,there is never enough sun up there.
when you come ,there is welcoming sunshine,wonderful southern people, you still get an occasional rude yankee,which also is a gentle reminder why i came to charlotte.

Give yourself time to adapt,you will get homesick,that is normal.For me i chose to move here, when someone is relocated here, then these people find more negative than positive.

Good luck,and once you are here it seems there are more yankees than southern people here.So come on down and get yourself some (SWEET TEA) NOT ICED TEA ,and enjoy charlotte
I freakin am starting to hate the word yankees...man..what a derogatory term. I don't see people using the term redneck on here half as much ...its the same sweeping generalizing term. Seems one is acceptable the other is PC incorrect.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:54 AM

9,322 posts, read 16,661,006 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...year-made.html

Old 03-13-2011, 11:16 AM

There seems to be alot of plusses to moving, just being home sick concerns me. Is there some factories hiring around? Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte