Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 10:07 AM

174 posts, read 486,199 times

Advertisements

Spring break? School's out this week? Must be, since the kids next door have a new bad habit: bouncing their basketball in the driveway with the radio blasting bad pop music. Bounce, bounce, bounce...

What can I do? I would really like to go ask them to knock it off -- where's their mother? -- but how do you tell kids (tween girls, definitely not pro basketball hopefuls) that you need them to be more considerate about their neighbors? I'm just not so diplomatic, especially when I'm working here at my desk in my home office, and trying to be creative (my "job"), and listening to... Bounce, bounce, bounce...

The only "good" thing about this is that usually the kids, thanks to ADD, lose interest in this activity in about 30 or so minutes. But then they go inside, leaving the garage door open with the radio blasting -- where's their mother?! -- and come back out and start bounce, bounce, bouncing again. And it's always at the very worst time, like after work hours when I need QUIET and calm to decompress... Bounce, bounce, bounce...

Bounce, bounce, bounce... Bounce, bounce, bounce...

I'm being driven MAD, I tell you.

When, oh when, does summer camp start?! Why don't people realize when they are being inconsiderate?

MC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 10:12 AM

689 posts, read 1,656,782 times
At least they are outside getting fresh air instead of sitting in front of the TV or computer.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:15 AM

15 posts, read 29,399 times
if you have to go out and talk to the parents once. lets see if they dont listen then think about something else..calling 911.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:26 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Music I may understand if it above what is consider required decibels but the kids should have a right to play basketball. It one of things you have to deal with homes close to each other.

Spring Break lasts for a week but this summer well kids should be outside enjoying being kids.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:28 AM

841 posts, read 1,432,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalfortune View Post
When, oh when, does summer camp start?! Why don't people realize when they are being inconsiderate?

MC
Kids still go to summer camp?

Old 04-20-2011, 10:36 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
Maybe you will have to forego the luxury of a home office. Kind of awkward telling kids they can't play outside in their own yard.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:36 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
So...let me get this straight. You're upset that kids are playing outside in your neighborhood both during the day when you are working from home and also once you are done working?

Guess you were never a kid yourself. Maybe you should go on your front lawn and shake your fist at them....and then look into moving into a retirement community to escape those pesky kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch_K View Post
if you have to go out and talk to the parents once. lets see if they dont listen then think about something else..calling 911.
Yes...because cops have nothing better to do than respond to 911 calls about kids playing music and basketball....

Old 04-20-2011, 10:38 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,138,312 times
The only thing you can do is give back tit for tat. If unneeded noise bothers you while you are at home why not create some noise that will BOTHER the parent WHEN THEY ARE AT HOME....The solution is everyone will be quiet or NO ONE WILL. why not YOU play some LOUD music the parent is forced to hear .Or maybe go and turn on your car radio to a volume equal to the volume they are using an it will distort their listening pleasure.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:40 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
So...let me get this straight. You're upset that kids are playing outside in your neighborhood both during the day when you are working from home and also once you are done working?

Guess you were never a kid yourself. Maybe you should go on your front lawn and shake your fist at them....and then look into moving into a retirement community to escape those pesky kids.

Yes...because cops have nothing better to do than respond to 911 calls about kids playing music and basketball....
This. My wife works from home and was complaining about the same thing last summer. She realized though, that while it was annoying they had every right to be doing it.

911 is a waste of resources in this situation. If you don't have the guts to talk to the parents about the loud music you will just have to suck it up and live with it. It isn't illegal until it is over a certain decibel level.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:44 AM

550 posts, read 1,808,490 times
Go buy some ear plugs... if they aren't above the decibel limit, there's not much you can do. It's not illegal, it's just annoying - to you. Sorry, but I'm guessing that your dislike of children playing outside is not going to find much sympathy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte