Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 11:50 AM

29 posts, read 99,006 times

Advertisements

Hi! we just tried to get our license plates, titles transfered, etc...since we just moved here from Maryland. The line at the Independence Road office was horrendous...50 people and not an inch of movement in 20 min. Any advice on where the fastest office/shortest line/best time to go? Driver's license was 2 hours from start to finish and those in line said this was a bad day, so that wasn't so bad! TIA

Nanine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 11:57 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,426,355 times
The one on HWY 16 is generally the least crowded, but I am not sure if it is a plate or license office.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:00 PM

hmmm.. thank you! I'll check that one out. From what I could tell, the drivers license office is operated by the state, the license plate/titling, etc. is run by independent contractors, so hoping each is different!
thank you

Nanine

Old 07-31-2007, 12:07 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
for license plate you might also try cabarrus county since it does not have to be done in the county you reside

1. ConcordFor driving directions try MapQuest!
http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/graphics/pixel.gif (broken link)759 Church Street North, 28025
(704) 788-1404
Monday - Friday 9:00 - 5:00

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/graphics/pixel.gif (broken link)2. HarrisburgFor driving directions try MapQuest!
http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/graphics/pixel.gif (broken link)4612 Highway 49 South, 28075
(704) 455-9517
Monday - Friday 9:00 - 5:00

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/graphics/pixel.gif (broken link)3. KannapolisFor driving directions try MapQuest!
http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/graphics/pixel.gif (broken link)1509 Dale Earnhardt Blvd, 28083
(704) 932-3146
Monday - Friday 8:00 - 5:00

Mid week is best time to go and get there when they open

Old 07-31-2007, 12:19 PM

187 posts, read 649,715 times
Gosh I still need to do this....

Old 07-31-2007, 02:16 PM

673 posts, read 2,680,830 times
We went to the one on South Blvd. a few months ago and were in there an hour from start to finish with a good part of that time spent in front of the customer service rep., so I didn't think that was too bad. Yesterday, I went to the one on Independence for something else with 3 kids in tow, and it was ridiculous. I left. I still have to do get my driver's license - planing to do that in a couple of weeks and not looking forward to it....

Old 07-31-2007, 06:46 PM

Thank you Sunny Kayak, also heard the South Blvd. is the "one" to go to for the plates. Our experience waiting 2 hours for the drivers license was pretty good, apparently, and normally the line isn't that long at the Albemarle Road office. It is easy to miss, though, the sign is tiny, and you go to the back of the building, down a narrow hallway, wait in a line behind the locked door, then they open the door and take in 4 or 5 applicants at a time. Once you are allowed to enter, the process moves along. First you present your proof of identification, and proof of residency. Then you are given a number, wait in a chair until your number is called. do the eye test, show your paperwork to the examiner, then he/she directs you to a computer to take the multiple choice test. STUDY for it with the book, available online as a PDF from NCDOT....Then you get your photo taken and voila! A NC driver's license holder you are...

good luck

Nanine

Old 08-01-2007, 08:32 AM

53 posts, read 229,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chf_mom View Post
Thank you Sunny Kayak, also heard the South Blvd. is the "one" to go to for the plates. Our experience waiting 2 hours for the drivers license was pretty good, apparently, and normally the line isn't that long at the Albemarle Road office. It is easy to miss, though, the sign is tiny, and you go to the back of the building, down a narrow hallway, wait in a line behind the locked door, then they open the door and take in 4 or 5 applicants at a time. Once you are allowed to enter, the process moves along. First you present your proof of identification, and proof of residency. Then you are given a number, wait in a chair until your number is called. do the eye test, show your paperwork to the examiner, then he/she directs you to a computer to take the multiple choice test. STUDY for it with the book, available online as a PDF from NCDOT....Then you get your photo taken and voila! A NC driver's license holder you are...

good luck

Nanine
You have to take a test to get your license? I assumed it would just transfer, like since you've obviously passed a drivers test in MD, you're fine to drive in NC. What's on the test??

Old 08-01-2007, 09:01 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDgirlMovingSouth View Post
You have to take a test to get your license? I assumed it would just transfer, like since you've obviously passed a drivers test in MD, you're fine to drive in NC. What's on the test??
The reason behind a written test is due to their certain things related to North Carolina that you need to know. For instance I remember some members not knowing what you are suppose to do when you encounter farm vechiles on the road etc.

Check out my newcomer guide it has a cheat sheet of what is on the test and a dmv newcomer guide so that you will know what you will need to bring etc Newcomer Guide to Charlotte Area for Useful Information & Services

Old 08-01-2007, 11:53 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,426,355 times
SC seems more rural to me than NC, but you do not have to take the written exam upon moving to SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte