Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 03:06 PM

299 posts, read 589,758 times

Advertisements

LOL! He has a 6 minute commute right now...wouldn't that be hysterical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 03:15 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyonthelake View Post
LOL! He has a 6 minute commute right now...wouldn't that be hysterical.
Absolutely.!

Moss Lake is between Kings Mountain & Shelby (unincorporated land)

There are nice shops & nice places in Uptown Shelby. Kings Mountain is fixing up the downtown & eventually would get more shopping besides downtown, but you can get most of what you want in Gastonia. The Kings Mountain Ingles is the best supermarket west of Charlotte. It would also put you in more proximity to the outlet mall in Gaffney & shopping in Spartanburg as well as Charlotte. If you like Asheville, you're that much closer. It would just depend on the school. If you don't like it, it's a no-go.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:42 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,286,491 times
Quote:
One more thing, can anyone tell me how good/bad the water quality of LW actually is? I've always heard it was awful, but I'd like the truth.
Well...... It's downstream from where the Charlotte/Mecklenburg water treatment system discharges the output from all the sewers in the city and county. They say it is clean when they get done with it. Aside from the above mentioned power plant, there are numerous industrial/textile plants up in Gaston county that put all kinds of things in the water. They say it is harmless. There is a redneck boat landing not far from that neighborhood that you listed. Every single one of those hoopty boats are leaking oil and gas into the water. They say it is none of your business.

My experience is that after I have gone swimming in it, it leaves a particular aroma on the body that is best washed off before heading into polite company. Day and night compared to the water in Lake Norman and even Mountain Island Lake.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:43 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,550,320 times
One more reason posted today....

Catawaba Nuclear Reactor ranked 5th most dangerous Nuke in the USA
The ranking is from Rolling Stone. See this article that just came out.

Americas Nuclear Nightmare | Rolling Stone

About the Catawba Nuclear Plant. The plant is located on the shore of Lake Wylie about 15 miles from uptown Charlotte. It has two nuclear reactors and a spent fuel rod storage facility.

America's Worst Nukes: Catawba | Rolling Stone | Photos

The disaster at Fukashima is still ongoing, in fact getting worse, even though the news isn't talking about it here now. It wasn't the earthquake that cause the Fukashima disaster. it was the lack of correct procedures being followed when the backup power to the cooling systems failed.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:26 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Well...... It's downstream from where the Charlotte/Mecklenburg water treatment system discharges the output from all the sewers in the city and county.
discharges from all the sewers in the city and county? where do you come up with this stuff?!?

Lake Wylie definitely has poorer water quality than Lake Norman, but a lot of that poor water quality is due to drainage from (less-regulated) Gaston County. Surprisingly, only a small area of Charlotte drains to Lake Wylie.

A look at the water quality map (http://charmeck.org/stormwater/creekslakesponds/Lakes/Documents/LakeWylieNov2010.pdf (broken link)) shows much poorer water quality in Lake Wylie at Dutchmans Creek and the South Fork (from Gaston County!).

There is also poorer water quality near Paw Creek (no wastewater discharges) and Long Creek (no wastewater discharges), but water quality nearer the dam is pretty good.

In case you're interested in actual facts, the treatment plants that treat Charlotte wastewater are as follows:

Sugar Creek WWTP (Fairview and Park, discharges to Little Sugar Creek, drains to the Catawba River SOUTH of Lake Wylie dam)

Irwin Creek WWTP (off of Billy Graham Pkwy, discharges to Irwin Creek, drains to Sugar Creek, drains to Catawba River south of Lake Wylie)

Mallard Creek WWTP (drains to Yadkin River)

McAlpine Creek WWTP (discharges to McAlpine Creek, drains to Catawba River south of Lake Wylie

McDowell Creek WWTP (discharges to McDowell Creek, drains to Mt. Island Lake just upstream of your drinking water supply intake )

Old 05-02-2011, 07:25 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
discharges from all the sewers in the city and county? where do you come up with this stuff?!?

Lake Wylie definitely has poorer water quality than Lake Norman, but a lot of that poor water quality is due to drainage from (less-regulated) Gaston County. Surprisingly, only a small area of Charlotte drains to Lake Wylie.

A look at the water quality map (http://charmeck.org/stormwater/creekslakesponds/Lakes/Documents/LakeWylieNov2010.pdf (broken link)) shows much poorer water quality in Lake Wylie at Dutchmans Creek and the South Fork (from Gaston County!).

There is also poorer water quality near Paw Creek (no wastewater discharges) and Long Creek (no wastewater discharges), but water quality nearer the dam is pretty good.

In case you're interested in actual facts, the treatment plants that treat Charlotte wastewater are as follows:

Sugar Creek WWTP (Fairview and Park, discharges to Little Sugar Creek, drains to the Catawba River SOUTH of Lake Wylie dam)

Irwin Creek WWTP (off of Billy Graham Pkwy, discharges to Irwin Creek, drains to Sugar Creek, drains to Catawba River south of Lake Wylie)

Mallard Creek WWTP (drains to Yadkin River)

McAlpine Creek WWTP (discharges to McAlpine Creek, drains to Catawba River south of Lake Wylie

McDowell Creek WWTP (discharges to McDowell Creek, drains to Mt. Island Lake just upstream of your drinking water supply intake )

This was my understanding too - great post

Old 05-02-2011, 09:44 PM

299 posts, read 589,758 times
Thanks everyone. I'm thinking that since I won't be bathing my children in the lake daily we should be fine. We don't even own a boat at this point and if we do ever get one, it'll be a pontoon because neither of us know the first thing about staying buoyant!
If I can unload what we currently have I think we could be very happy in Riverpointe as it would meet all our requirements satisfactorily. The biggest problem is unloading what we have. I'm pretty sure we could list for $1 and still not sell at this point!

Old 05-05-2011, 06:35 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,427,356 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone. I'm thinking that since I won't be bathing my children in the lake daily we should be fine. We don't even own a boat at this point and if we do ever get one, it'll be a pontoon because neither of us know the first thing about staying buoyant!
If I can unload what we currently have I think we could be very happy in Riverpointe as it would meet all our requirements satisfactorily. The biggest problem is unloading what we have. I'm pretty sure we could list for $1 and still not sell at this point!

I certainly wouldn't pay more to live somwhere with access to a lake that was dirty, whether I was going to be in it daily or monthly, AND give myself a nasty commute for the privelege of living there
Sure it couldn't be very good for resale either.

Being able to see the lake when it was really hot and not being able to go in it would be like some sort of torture!

Old 11-28-2011, 06:16 PM

3 posts, read 11,375 times
Smile Could you help me evaluate?

Hi there! I am looking to move into a single family home in a nice area. Currently I live off of Exit 23 I77 N in Huntersville and love this area. I am quite familiar with the traffic around Exit 25 through Exit 36 in Mooresville. There is a Mattamy Homes community called Waterlynn coming up in Exit 33 in Mooresville about a mile from Lowes Head Quarters and is about 4 miles north of Davidson if you travel up Rte.115. I kinda like this area but not overly impressed since a lot of development is yet to come up in this area.

Now to my question - the same floor plan home built with the same options is costing me $30,000 more in Mooresville than if I built it in Steele Creek area in the Enclave Mattamy Homes community off of Rte.160 just a mile from the Rivergate shopping center. I used to live near Arsley Town on S Tryon St but it has been 5 years and I am used to the Huntersville area now. I liked the Rivergate shopping center so much when I visited this community the other day. As for traffic and all that I think pretty much everything is going to be the same.

I am thinking it is wiser to save the 30k now and build the house of my liking in Steele Creek area. But I am not very sure which is a better area. 10 or 20 years from now, do you think Mooresville might have appreciated many times more than Steele Creek? Or assuming that would be the case, would the appreciation kinda even out since I would be spending less if I bought out in the Steele Creek area? I need first hand information about the steele creek area from someone who lives there. Your input in this regard is much appreciated. Thanks!!!

Old 11-28-2011, 07:21 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Something to consider about Steele Creek... There are a lot of empty lots and vacant land in that area. It will see considerable growth, but people moving there are just like you, they want a new home. Seems like that may push down the resell value when the time comes. Perhaps that is a concern, perhaps not. Of course, that may be the case for many of the perimeter suburbs.

I don't know, food for thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte