Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 06:40 AM

171 posts, read 233,452 times

Advertisements

My husband and I visited McCullough over the weekend. We loved some of the floor plans, but were not excited about the schools the neighborhood feeds into. Last night, I noticed on McCullough's site plan that it shows future development on the SC side. Has anyone heard when that might happen as it seems like the neighborhood has been under construction for 3-4 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 08:13 AM

625 posts, read 489,769 times
It looks like the SC side of the development would put you in Fort Mill, SC near Regent Park. We're not too far from there in Regal Manor. It's a great area and a lot less congested than the West side of Fort Mill. Fort Mill has great schools.

The same builder has homes in SC in BridgeMill which I believe is Indian Land -- though they have a Fort Mill mailing address (can be very confusing).

Old 05-27-2014, 10:36 PM

29 posts, read 43,730 times
We were originally looking to build in Bridgemill which is a great community and visited McCullough to look at a model offered that was finished. Speaking to one of the sales reps there she said once they get into the SC side that the prices will be increasing significantly. My opinion is if you like the floor plans look at Bridgemill. Much nicer neighborhood appearance wise and everyone seems very friendly. The schools in that area are also highly regarded. We chose to go another route for other reasons but it was a tough decision as we absolutely loved the neighborhood. They too have had an increase in prices in the last two weeks. $20K to be exact. Nothing like looking at a neighborhood and than coming back to talk about moving forward to find they have raised their prices so drastically. Still wasn't a deal breaker but did make it a little easier when we chose to explore other opportunities.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:29 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,216,042 times
There are existing homes in there selling for cheaper than the developer. Well there were.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:44 AM

218 posts, read 523,407 times
Bridgemill is very nice and they continue to build new homes (some of which are the same designs from McCullough.) They are also starting to build a second pool in the back of the neighborhood. So if you want in SC a little sooner, come check it out.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:30 AM

Thanks for the info. We drove through Bridgemill this weekend, but weren't aware of the section in the back that was more our price range. So we will need to re-visit on a future trip to Charlotte.

We are probably 1-2 years away from building a home, so I wasn't sure if Bridgemill would be complete by then or not. McCullough and Bridgemill may not work for us anyway as we have a classic car in addition to our 2 daily drivers, so a 3 car garage is a deal breaker for us.

The Estates of Massey is another neighborhood we are considering as David Weekley has some plans that can accommodate a 3rd car garage.

Our criteria is a 3 car garage, neighborhood pool or a Y close by, a 1/4 acre minimum, and a good school district. Price range up to $400k. Any other new construction neighborhoods we should be looking at that are 20-30 min commute from Ballantyne?

Old 05-28-2014, 11:02 AM

Prices have been going up dramatically in Fort Mill. You may want to look more into Indian Land. There's Carolina Reserve Enclave with Lennar that is a neighborhood that is fairly new. It was one of the first places we looked at when looking in this area. We couldn't get the basement home that we wanted so we went elsewhere. The Reserve is about 20 minutes from Ballantyne barring too much traffic. It's on Jim Wilson Road. Do a search for Carolina Reserve Meadows. There's also Wakefield and Wakefield South through True Homes. They seem to have some fairly large lots. They're located on Regent Parkway near Harrisburg road right on the Pineville border. True Homes also has a subdivision called Silver Run in Indian Land on Harrisburg Road. They seem to have bigger lots than Lennar or Ryland.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:43 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,216,042 times
Honestly I cannot recommend buying new construction. You will get more for your $$ with existing and won't have to take a huge hit in equity when the next expected downturn hits later this year into next.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Honestly I cannot recommend buying new construction. You will get more for your $$ with existing and won't have to take a huge hit in equity when the next expected downturn hits later this year into next.
I agree with this. We only went with new construction because we couldn't find what we needed in existing inventory. We needed a basement and a 2 1/2 or 3 car garage with a downstairs guest room and that was nearly impossible or the houses we saw that sort of met the criteria were in dire need of repair, which we didn't wan to get into.

Find a good realtor, tell them what you're looking for and see if you can find it in an existing home before opting to build. Though it's nice to get new construction, its a loooong process with quite a lot of stress and headaches.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:37 PM

Suncc49 and NJCoqui - we appreciate your advice about avoiding new construction. Unfortunately, finding what my husband and I like in the existing home inventory is like finding a needle in a haystack. We could spend 3 years looking and still not find what we need. We like modern Craftsman homes, but more than just the craftsman exterior that is usually found in new construction. I love some of the bungalow homes in uptown, but with our 3 car garage deal breaker because of our classic car, purchasing one of those is not really an option for us.

During our last new home build, we were lucky enough to find a semi-custom builder who partnered with us as he enjoyed Craftsman homes as much as we do. It was a long process - about 10 months, but the end result was amazing and completely worth the blood, sweat, and tears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte