Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 05:05 PM

128 posts, read 394,879 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are relocating from NJ (we live off exit 8 on the NJ turnpike) to Charlotte in two weeks (Indian Land, SC, off 521 to be exact) and we have been told by several people NOT to take 95 because of the traffic in Balt/Wash and Richmond. We have been told to take 276 (Pa turnpike) to I81 and then to 77. Just wanted to get opinions from NJ/NY folks who have made the trip recently. I read several posts from several years ago on the Charlotte forum and I think 81 was the best route? However, I am not sure if there is road construction on I81 in Virginia which one of our friends said to check on.

We would like to get to Charlotte in the best time possilbe since our car and SUV caravan includes two dogs(they won't be a problem) and two cats We cannot let them out of their carriers, so they will be rest stop challenged!

We are leaving on a Monday and will probably start our trip around 6AM. We can't wait to finally move to Charlotte and enjoy the next phase of our lives.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

SA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 05:23 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,873,223 times
Definitely take the 81. I have done the trip from Charlotte to Connecticut twice in the last two weeks, and there are small sections they are working on in southern PA, south of Carlisle, but nothing major south of that. Those won't effect your drive much either.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:28 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,675 times
We have always taken I77 to I81 to New Jersey, but we were farther north and would take I81 to I78 to the New York area. Recently (mid April) the only problem areas were, as usual, in Pennsylvania. It seems to me that state is constantly working on the interstate. It has been like this for the past TWENTY years!! Every project seems to take 2 or 3 years. You just grow accustomed to construction going on in a certain area and you become amazed at how it seems like they are always working in one area and how can they work so long on one project and then one day you drive by.... and it is finished!! And you are so surprised and happy, but then 10 miles down the road they have started another semi-permanent project. I guess it is like painting an aircraft carrier. You start at one end and by the time you finish at the other end it is time to start painting again. But this seems to be the case only in Pennsylvania. Maybe they get more federal highway funds than the rest of the states? I don't know...

So, cliff notes:

1. Always take I81 to I77 (avoid I95 like the plague)
2. Only problems I have experienced recently have been in Pennsylvania.

(See, I cross posted with Peyton - another vote for PA)

Old 05-28-2011, 08:32 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyart View Post
Hi everyone,

My husband and I are relocating from NJ (we live off exit 8 on the NJ turnpike) to Charlotte in two weeks (Indian Land, SC, off 521 to be exact) and we have been told by several people NOT to take 95 because of the traffic in Balt/Wash and Richmond. We have been told to take 276 (Pa turnpike) to I81 and then to 77. Just wanted to get opinions from NJ/NY folks who have made the trip recently. I read several posts from several years ago on the Charlotte forum and I think 81 was the best route? However, I am not sure if there is road construction on I81 in Virginia which one of our friends said to check on.

We would like to get to Charlotte in the best time possilbe since our car and SUV caravan includes two dogs(they won't be a problem) and two cats We cannot let them out of their carriers, so they will be rest stop challenged!

We are leaving on a Monday and will probably start our trip around 6AM. We can't wait to finally move to Charlotte and enjoy the next phase of our lives.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

SA
I came down from South Jersey. I use 95 & 85. However, I loathe the Baltimore Beltway. I stay on 95 & take the tunnel. It's $2 & worth every penny of it.

ETA: Richmond???? That's nothing. Maybe they meant Arlington?

Old 05-28-2011, 08:58 PM

Default Thanks!

It looks like 81 is going to be out route of choice. Wish us luck!

Old 05-28-2011, 09:01 PM

716 posts, read 2,158,703 times
My parents -- Exit 7a off the Turnpike! -- always take the way that was suggested to you: Pennsy Pike to 81 to 77. They like to stop at Hagerstown or Winchester. It's a long, dull trip, but over the last 15 years and the dozens of times I've made the trip myself, I think it's 1000% better than 95/85. It's not just Baltimore and DC and Richmond -- the whole way down the east side is kind of a drag.

I've made the trip a handful of times with two cats too. They did surprisingly well. I tried bringing them a makeshift litter box -- a copy paper box lid and some litter -- and one of them used it at the rest stop. Just make sure when you get to Charlotte that the first thing you do is get them set up with food and water and litter.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:09 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times
This is the way that I'd go:
Bing Maps - driving directions, routes, and traffic

I do not take I-95 through DE, MD, or VA any more. The traffic is just ridiculous unless you're traveling in the middle of the night.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:30 PM

I look forward to stopping at the WaWa in Petersburg.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I look forward to stopping at the WaWa in Petersburg.
Lol!

Old 05-28-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyart View Post
Lol!
I'm happy to take that route. I avoid the Baltimore Beltway & hit WaWa & then there's always a shopping detour in Delaware. Nothing boring about it. Plus anything else takes me ridiculously out of my way.

My brother-in-law wants to move to VA. My sister doesn't want to leave. I'm trying to get her to compromise with DE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte