Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 09:22 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times

Advertisements

Luckily this kid is very bright. He won't have to worry about coming back to CMS because he will likely do very well in life and be able to send his kids to private school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 11:44 AM

459 posts, read 698,510 times
This is called public indecency. If he were an adult he would be on the sex offenders list. I think he got off easily

Old 06-22-2011, 11:51 AM

310 posts, read 575,363 times
He should be put on double secret probation

Old 06-22-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulok View Post
This is called public indecency. If he were an adult he would be on the sex offenders list. I think he got off easily
Did you see it? I think you are misinformed. This had nothing to do with sex....

Old 06-28-2011, 10:35 AM

348 posts, read 846,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
While I agree that banning him is extreme, an example needed to be set. This is a slippery slope. The names of three (I thought four) subsequent graduates weren't heard because of the commotion he caused. If my kid were one of those 4, I would have been sad for them. There was no way he couldn't have assumed that would happen. It was difficult enough to hear what was going on with all of the screaming and yelling from adults in the audience. And it's not the first time this kid has made a nuisance of himself. Clearly he knew something like this would happen as a result of his prank and he didn't care. There were other things he could have done to draw (yet more) attention to himself while not taking it upon himself to diminish the significance of the ceremony for the graduates who walked behind him. Imagine if they all did that?
I agree and believe it was a total lack of respect on the kid's behalf. It's a big moment to graduate from high school, for the kids and their families that show up, and this kid showed a total lack of respect for the event.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:00 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
CMS ban for Myers Park "mooner" shortened | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

Old 06-29-2011, 03:22 PM

72 posts, read 274,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
My son knows this boy and says he is a great guy and an honor student. I do feel bad for the kids that were behind this boy if their names were not heard BUT - CMS has not handled graduation properly for years. Before each graduation CMS sends out information that there is to be no screaming, yelling, etc. when your childs name is called yet it still happens and they allow it. Last year at my sons' graduation we could not hear the 2-3 names called after 'Lashwanda' or 'Davonte', etc. but nothing was done. What this boy did was no worse. I think a 1-year ban from CMS would have been a sufficient punishment for him.
What are they going to do? Have the audience members arrested? Spoil the ceremony by repeatedly admonishing the crowd? The parents and other audience members know the rules and still they act like selfish children. It sounds like this kid behaved the only way he knew how. He behaved in the exact way maturity was modeled to him by his community. The village raise this child. Are y'all proud? It's not the Schools fault. It sounds like the whole town could use a good, long look in the mirror.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:59 PM

Charlotte Observer is reporting that the 'mooner' is now only banned from CMS for 1 year. That seems fair to me.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateau View Post
What are they going to do? Have the audience members arrested? Spoil the ceremony by repeatedly admonishing the crowd? The parents and other audience members know the rules and still they act like selfish children. It sounds like this kid behaved the only way he knew how. He behaved in the exact way maturity was modeled to him by his community. The village raise this child. Are y'all proud? It's not the Schools fault. It sounds like the whole town could use a good, long look in the mirror.
Yes! I think they should STOP the ceremony and remove the offending people (parents, friends, etc.). If they did remove the people screaming a few times - my guess is that it would stop.

And I don't believe the 'village raise this child'. He obviously thought he was doing something funny and now admits it was a mistake and he wishes he had not done it. This has nothing to do with the 'whole town'.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:52 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,335,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Charlotte Observer is reporting that the 'mooner' is now only banned from CMS for 1 year. That seems fair to me.
Done, finis, (as far as I am concerned). That was my only complaint. The punishment did not fit the crime, in fact a "lifetime ban" for that offense seemed silly to me. One year.... maybe too light, but doesn't matter to me. On to a real news story. This was a total non-story that brought unnecessary and undeserved attention to this young kid simply because some CMS officials over-reacted.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...ylink=misearch

Quote:
"You don't kill a fly with a sledgehammer," CMS Police Chief Bud Cesena said today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte